PHILIPPENES Travel Warning

Got the email from the government today.................

PHILIPPENES Travel Warning

February 13, 2008

This Travel Warning updates information on the security situation and reminds Americans of the risks of travel in the Philippines. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning for the Philippines issued April 27, 2007.

U.S. citizens contemplating travel to the Philippines should carefully consider the risks to their safety and security while there, including those due to terrorism. While travelers may encounter such threats anywhere in the Philippines, the southern island of Mindanao and the Sulu Archipelago are of particular concern. Travelers should exercise extreme caution in both central and western Mindanao as well as in the Sulu Archipelago.

Kidnap for ransom gangs operate in the Philippines. In October 2007, one such gang abducted a visiting U.S. citizen whose whereabouts are unknown at this time. Several other foreigners were also kidnapped for ransom in 2007. The New People

Edited by Steve

Thanks Steve, we will try to stay away from Mindanao and Sulu....

My wife is more worried about me being kidnapped by Filipinas in Cebu ..lol....

Thanks Steve, we will try to stay away from Mindanao and Sulu....

My wife is more worried about me being kidnapped by Filipinas in Cebu ..lol....

I was in Mindano last year for a few days. Didn't bother me. But I know that there are different regions with different risk factors there also. When the US immigration guy at LAX asked where i was and told him, he said that I was brave.......LOL I doubt anything would ever stop me from traveling to the Philippines

I am skeptical of warnings about Mindanao. I believe that the threat is real, but also I have a friend who regularly visits Cagayan de Oro and he says he doesn't have any worries about it. Any opinions on this? I am not about to wander around the Sulu Archipelago, of course, but aren't most cities in Mindanao safe? What about Davao and General Santos?

I am skeptical of warnings about Mindanao. I believe that the threat is real, but also I have a friend who regularly visits Cagayan de Oro and he says he doesn't have any worries about it. Any opinions on this? I am not about to wander around the Sulu Archipelago, of course, but aren't most cities in Mindanao safe? What about Davao and General Santos?

Don't be skeptical. The warnings are warranted and are reasonably specific on locations.

Travelers should exercise extreme caution in both central and western Mindanao as well as in the Sulu Archipelago.

So this would probably not include CDO, Davao or General Santos. From my understanding, the terrorists don't usually operate in the more congested areas of the cities. They will have spotters there looking for targets and then make their move in the more rural areas as people pass through the interior.

Visiting those cities is cause for due caution, but not massive fright. I personally would not take a bus between any of those cities. Ferry or plane for me.

Edited by Bob Ward
smokey

my wife has a brother in a ground pounder commander. in SULU. she wanted to go visit him a few months ago and i said of course honey great idea thinking of the peace and quiet i would be getting with her gone for a few weeks... ohhh to watch a movie at home without someone saying.. honey why did he do that or why is the guy mad at the other guy... or crunching very load when i watch a movie i need to focus to follow it.. anyway her brother said ... Do not come here at this time i can not protect you its not good for you here... and that was just her alone.. he would of had a heart attack if she said she was bringing me... when it comes to NPA or any terriorist group... i guess you could go a lifetime without ever meeting or getting hassled by them but if you do it will not be a pleasent time spent... kidnappings NEVER GO WELL FOR THE KIDNAPPED

smokey

AS for davo i dont think its a very american friendly city... maybe because the mayor dont like us??? But break any law there and dont say your american say your english or from canada ..

Don't be skeptical. The warnings are warranted and are reasonably specific on locations.

Travelers should exercise extreme caution in both central and western Mindanao as well as in the Sulu Archipelago.

So this would probably not include CDO, Davao or General Santos. From my understanding, the terrorists don't usually operate in the more congested areas of the cities. They will have spotters there looking for targets and then make their move in the more rural areas as people pass through the interior.

Visiting those cities is cause for due caution, but not massive fright. I personally would not take a bus between any of those cities. Ferry or plane for me.

Having lived several years in Colombia where kidnapping and terrorism is very common in the interior (province), I agree completely that buses are probably worst means of transportation as they become easy targets. Only safe way to travel between cities is by air.

ohhh to watch a movie at home without someone saying.. honey why did he do that or why is the guy mad at the other guy... or crunching very load when i watch a movie i need to focus to follow it

So I guess my wife is not the only one that asks too many damn questions in the middle of a movie or TV show. :o

ohhh to watch a movie at home without someone saying.. honey why did he do that or why is the guy mad at the other guy... or crunching very load when i watch a movie i need to focus to follow it

So I guess my wife is not the only one that asks too many damn questions in the middle of a movie or TV show. :o

Mine didn't ask questions when we went to the movies, she kept trying to feed me popcorn the whole way through it. I kept saying no more hon, but of course I lost. :D

twostrokes

You can never really know for sure when it come to groups like the NPA....I used to be pretty relaxed traveling around Luzon.

I have been all over that island, much of it on motorcycles....During my last period of living there somewhere around 1990 there were a couple of my fellow employees of Ford Aerospace that worked in Tarlac, in at the Crow Vally Bombing range that got blocked off on the hyway by a truck making like it was turning around. When they stopped, they were attacked with automatic rifles and took over 300 rounds in the car. All in the car were shot up at close range to a point their faces were blown off.

I was supposed to be in that car. It just happend that they had to return to secure one of the bldg's that wasn't properly locked. I didn't want to wait, so I bumbed a ride in the company van...I still traveled around the island, but I can say, I always felt a little on the unsafe side after that be it in my truck or on my bike.

I think you have to read between the lines on the reports and understand that the gov't can over generalize in some areas in order to make sure they don't leave anything out.

Jim

tigerragrob

I just got back from spending 6 weeks in Gensan(General Santos). I didnt have a single problem there. The year before I spent 3 weeks there. There are things you should not do when there. Dont go to the public market, dont ride a jeepy. Use a taxi or sit in the front seat of a tricycle. Keep a low profile. I go to the malls all the time there. Being out after dark should be avoided. As you know bad things happen at night no matter where you live.

i stay in Bula at my wifes parents house when im there. There are some nice hotels also..

Just wondering how much more dangerous it is over there than it can be walking around some of the ghettos here in the US. There are parts of Albuquerque for example that are dicey at all times of the day. Maybe I am naive but I didn't feel like I was in anymore danger while in the Philippines than I would have in some of the rough neighborhoods here in the States.

I've actually been held up here in the States (Boston, the area near Chinatown known as "The Combat Zone") but never had a similar experience in the PI.

Edited by HeyJoe