Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

Whippy's balikbayan box

Kim_

Exotic foods I mean, I cook at home here and I buy coconut milk, curries, fish, shrimps and i cook it... That's as exotic as it gets. I don't need the European trash i've been eating all my life, i'm definately not going to bring it with me. If I want some emmental cheese I just buy it in the supermarket.

Also with all the fruits available, making tropical fruit salads is the best lunch I can get here in day time

You must be a brit... :yahoo:

Kim_
If I don't have a pot of decent curry sauce, which will cost me about a third of what one will cost there at a SM, then I'll have to do without. Guess what. I'd rather not.
While I like curry, it is nothing I ever required in my food. Only time I want it is when visiting Indian restaurants. British is only good for the breakfast. Filipino is no good, except for a few meals that are super.

Then most of European is good.... Hungarian, French and guess what... Swedish :hyper:

Alan S

95 quid is about double what I pay from Toronto for the same sized box with unlimited weight.

Perhaps, but it would cost a fortune to ship it from UK to Toronto first! lol

• Like 1

Mr.T

I've been buying curry powder for 28 Php if you can't afford theres a problem

Edited by Mr.T

TorJay

Perhaps, but it would cost a fortune to ship it from UK to Toronto first! lol

From Toronto to Manila is 8300 miles.

From London to Manila is 6800 miles.

Seems like Whippy is paying quite a bit.

Yes, I know Whippy may not live in London and he may not be sending to Manila. So just go +/- a couple hundred miles then. The UK is till quite a bit closer to the RP than Toronto is.

Mr.T

you will struggle to find the ingredients to make a decent Thai curry sauce in the Philippines, they're there but not everywhere, In small towns with no big supermarket, which is most places in the Philippines, you're stuck with Filipino type food, adobo, caldereta, sinsigang, which is OK - but not exotic or anything close to it. Filipino food has to be the least exotic of any Asian cuisine I know of, with the possible exception of Mongolian.

Indian food you have almost no chance. They're really going to sell cummin, coriander and turmeric in the local sari. If I don't have a pot of decent curry sauce, which will cost me about a third of what one will cost there at a SM, then I'll have to do without. Guess what. I'd rather not.

I'm talking about living in Cebu, where it's perfectly possible to find Thai curry paste in Robinsons supermarket or Metro Supermarket

Brucewayne

While I like curry, it is nothing I ever required in my food. Only time I want it is when visiting Indian restaurants. British is only good for the breakfast. Filipino is no good, except for a few meals that are super.

Then most of European is good.... Hungarian, French and guess what... Swedish :hyper:

I always tell my wife that I try to use no substitutes when cooking and such things as real cheddar cheese or real milk are important to me, so when I made Swedish meatballs, she absolutely refused to eat any of it.

Go figure?

• Like 1

TorJay
so when I made Swedish meatballs, she absolutely refused to eat any of it.

That's because you didn't use Swedish meat! :D

• Like 1

Alan S

From Toronto to Manila is 8300 miles.

From London to Manila is 6800 miles.

Seems like Whippy is paying quite a bit.

Yes, I know Whippy may not live in London and he may not be sending to Manila. So just go +/- a couple hundred miles then. The UK is till quite a bit closer to the RP than Toronto is.

Everything, well almost everything, is far dearer in the UK than in most other places. Typically 1.5 to 2 x the US price. (*)

£95 doesnt seem bad to me.

(*) That is for comparison, I do know that Toronto is in Canada!

• Like 1

Kim_

I always tell my wife that I try to use no substitutes when cooking and such things as real cheddar cheese or real milk are important to me, so when I made Swedish meatballs, she absolutely refused to eat any of it.

Go figure?

I have an ex wife from the Philippines who loves the Swedish kitchen, she can't be without the Kalle's caviar on the morning eggs...

For better meatball recepies look here: http://www.köttbullsrecept.se/

All in swedish, sorry. :)

Brucewayne

That's because you didn't use Swedish meat! :D

He said he was Swedish, maybe he lied?

Brucewayne

I have an ex wife from the Philippines who loves the Swedish kitchen, she can't be without the Kalle's caviar on the morning eggs...

For better meatball recepies look here: http://www.köttbullsrecept.se/

All in swedish, sorry. :)

To be serious, I relax more in the kitchen than I ever did with any other hobby I have had, it is a knack that comes naturally to me and is more like experimenting in a lab than working.

I love Swedish meatballs and also make a killer baked Swedish meatball sandwich with a Pita type bread.

• Like 2

Brucewayne

Whippy, as long as you are happy with what you sent here, that's all that really matters.

udonthani

I'm talking about living in Cebu, where it's perfectly possible to find Thai curry paste in Robinsons supermarket or Metro Supermarket

so friggin' what where you live. I'll be way up the mountain in Misamis Oriental. Try getting hold of Thai curry paste there.

actually you can quite easily get hold of the necessary ingredients to make a stab at a Thai curry paste you make yourself, in most towns in the Philippines. You can probably get hold of lemongrass in most towns over about 5000 souls in the main market, and chilli, garlic, basil and ginger, the other core ingredients are of course everywhere. Cumin and to a lesser extent, coriander which I would normally put in a Thai green curry paste I made myself, might be a problem though. Easier to just use a decent bought one, just like most people wouldn't normally make their own Italian pesto sauce even though it is easy to make. They just buy a good pre-produced one.

broden

totally decided against the camping stove then?