Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

Whippy's balikbayan box

udonthani

the 24"x24"x24" now on it's way to Misamis Oriental and should be there in about 8-10 weeks. It's comprised mostly of chocolate, biscuits, toiletries and children's toys, as well as a few specific gifts for individuals, but there is one box inside it marked KANO BOX that contains the food items I deem may come in handy while I'm there.

I won't need all that much because I won't be staying in one place in the village for more than about four of five weeks. The rest of the time, I'll be moving around.

here is a rough inventory :

4 Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pies. Cookable in a Dutch Oven over a wood stove

3 large cans of reasonable quality ham, though it's not all that cheap here, it's still bound to be loads cheaper here than there

a few cans of beer and bottles of Guiness. One bottle of Port Wine. Bottles of Glenfiddich and Paddy Whisk(e)y.

a couple of boxed tortilla sets with sauce that were on offer, thus cheap - only £1 - took a gamble on them still being edible by the time they get there, in their wrapping the sell by date is about 10 weeks away (in a cool climate). Though there is a good chance it will be a bit messed up when it gets there I decided to take a gamble on it. I see no reason why ordinary pinoy food like adobo, etc cannot be easily consumed and eaten by hand minus rice in this way.

a couple of kilos of cheese, cheddar, cheshire, brie, Bavarian smoked in a sealed container.

various canned food items. Baked Beans (plus a sachet of cayenne pepper to taste), Mushy Peas, Ravioli, canned chicken curry and chili con carne

various cooking sauces, mostly Indian, i.e. Madras, Karahi, Korma, etc but also a couple of Chinese.

pesto sauce

parmesan cheese

english mustard

hellman's mayonnaise

HP brown sauce

pepper

Experienced

Sounds like there's gonna be one heckuva party... in Customs!

• Like 1

For Real

...Cookable in a Dutch Oven...

Now T H A T is a cheap way to cook

• Like 1

Mr.T

All this for just 1 month

Brucewayne

Most of it wouldn't last me more than a day or two, especially the cheese.

Mr.T

Well, he's probably the only foreigner who moves to the Philippines for travelling only and brings food with him

miles-high

With the exception of Kidney Pies (no idea where you can buy them), I would think that, with due respect, if you stopped by in Manila first, you could buy all of them at Santis and ship them to Mindanao... Perhaps you could do that from Tinderbox as well...

:cooking:

• Like 1

Headshot

I think Whippy stays in the Philippines closer to four months. He will just be in the area where he is having the box shipped for a month. There is nothing that says he can't take much of the loot he is shipping along to his next destination in the Philippines.

Edited by Headshot

Stranded Shipscook

No onions ? :yahoo: sorry, couldn't resist Yay%20-%20Copy.gif

• Like 5

udonthani

thought about pickled onions but decided no.

also packed about 10 Knor packet soups and some 20p (13 pesos) a pack instant mashed potato which I have not seen in the Philippines.

a couple of tins of sweetcorn as well. It is available but not everywhere and if I remember right it's expensive.

Mushy Peas I don't even like myself but decided to pack it just so they can have all their preconceptions about how horrible kano food can be, confirmed.

• Like 1

pinipig

RICE and DRIED FISH ?

hookedtothenet

Sniffer dogs are gunna love your cheesy box! LOL!

JamesMusslewhite

the 24"x24"x24" now on it's way to Misamis Oriental and should be there in about 8-10 weeks. It's comprised mostly of chocolate, biscuits, toiletries and children's toys, as well as a few specific gifts for individuals, but there is one box inside it marked KANO BOX that contains the food items I deem may come in handy while I'm there.

I won't need all that much because I won't be staying in one place in the village for more than about four of five weeks. The rest of the time, I'll be moving around.

here is a rough inventory :

4 Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pies. Cookable in a Dutch Oven over a wood stove

3 large cans of reasonable quality ham, though it's not all that cheap here, it's still bound to be loads cheaper here than there

a few cans of beer and bottles of Guiness. One bottle of Port Wine. Bottles of Glenfiddich and Paddy Whisk(e)y.

a couple of boxed tortilla sets with sauce that were on offer, thus cheap - only £1 - took a gamble on them still being edible by the time they get there, in their wrapping the sell by date is about 10 weeks away (in a cool climate). Though there is a good chance it will be a bit messed up when it gets there I decided to take a gamble on it. I see no reason why ordinary pinoy food like adobo, etc cannot be easily consumed and eaten by hand minus rice in this way.

a couple of kilos of cheese, cheddar, cheshire, brie, Bavarian smoked in a sealed container.

various canned food items. Baked Beans (plus a sachet of cayenne pepper to taste), Mushy Peas, Ravioli, canned chicken curry and chili con carne

various cooking sauces, mostly Indian, i.e. Madras, Karahi, Korma, etc but also a couple of Chinese.

pesto sauce

parmesan cheese

english mustard

hellman's mayonnaise

HP brown sauce

pepper

Hope you packed a lot of TUMs

Justin Kredible
Hope you packed a lot of TUMs

Whippy doesn't get indigestion.

He gives indigestion.

:D

• Like 4

udonthani

what else

Yorkshire Tea

Carte Noire coffee

sachets of Parsley Sauce for fish dishes and Cheese Sauce mix.