Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

luggage question

Mike S

Ok .... bit confused here ...... which is not hard for me ...... according to the info on carry-on luggage you are allowed one bag plus a personal item such as a computer ....... does this mean that you can have .... say a backpack to keep it in or computer bag ....... or does that constitute a carry-on ....... just a bit unclear and sure don't want to have to leave something behind once I get to the airport ....... if a backpack can be used for the computer and another personal bag used means I get to bring more stuff with me ......... :D:):D:):D

tom_shor

You can have the carry on and a computer bag. Don't make it too bulgy or they might say something about that.

You will have to take the computer out of the bag to pass through the security checkpoints.

Also you are only allowed liquid items in small bottles that will fit in a one quart plastic bag. I just put anything like that in my checked bag. one less thing to hassle with.

JLG

Traveling all over as I do , I have found they really have no problem with 2 items carried on. For example one roll-on bag, and a laptop in a small back pack or computer bag, the hot item of the month seems to be batteries, like loose AA's.

If ever they believe you have to many bags, they usually never ask you to leave behind, if the cabin storage is full, they will do what they call a courtesy check and stick it in the belly. Just be reasonable on size, anyway who wants to lug around baggage through an airport, just means more time spent in security!

and as a hint its good to travel light in the PI,

Hope that helped?

Bryan

mattwilkie

Generally i take a "flight bag" on as luggage holds a lot of stuff and comes with wheels.. you can fit a laptop and clothes or anything else in the bag ;-)

Its the weight most places are concerned about

Bob Ward

If you bring a carry on and a computer case/backpack, the worst thing that might happen is they will ask you to gate check one of the items and you will get it back upon exiting the plane.

hoz

We landed in Mactan this afternoon. My wife and I each had a carry on suitcast and a smaller bag like an attache. No problems as far as pieces, but we encountered problems with the weight United accepted our carryons at 35 lbs but Cathay Pacfic said 14 lbs was max.

Also CathayPacfic accepts 70 lbs on checkins , BUT United only accepted 50 lbs! We wound up paying an extra 100 bucks for one oversize bag. And had to shuffle stuff around in the others to change the weights. A hassle when you are at the counter.

I would recommend keeping carryons at 14 lbs and checked luggage 50 lbs to allay any fear of hassle.

We also checked or luggage straight thru to Cebu from the US. No shlepping heavy bags in LA to the Bradley Terminal.

We had a , missed flight and then domino effect and yet when we deplaned in MActan our 4 pieces of luggage were right there ! SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

We noticed many passengers bringing what looked like oversize carry ons and backpaks onto the Cathay Planes with no hassle. So maybe the 14 lbs and size restrictions are winked at. It all depends on who is at the Gate.

Anyway we are now in Cebu for a couple of months. zHope to visit with some of the locals while we are here.

World Traveller

Hey just while we are on the subject friends of mine who are coming to the Philippines were wanting to bring one very large suitcase between them and were wondering even if they had 40kg in the one bag would that be allowed or does it have to be 2 20kg suitcases?

mattwilkie

if they have booked as a group its generally accepted as a case between them.

I have done this a lot when bringing alcohol back from Corfu with one bag weighing 75kg

Mike S

Thanks guys for your help .... think I got it settled now ....

hoz .............. I don't know what they pulled on you but their own website claims that if you are traveling to the Philippines you are allowed to bring 2 bags weighing 70# each per person ........ I called them a couple of days ago and the girl agreed ......

Did they check the bags all the way through for you ........ they told me they would check mine to Cebu ...... I did a thread some where in this section with a copy of their website

Mike S

Sorry hoz ...... just reread your post and saw where they checked your bags all the way through ..... thanks for the information

tom_shor
We landed in Mactan this afternoon. My wife and I each had a carry on suitcast and a smaller bag like an attache. No problems as far as pieces, but we encountered problems with the weight United accepted our carryons at 35 lbs but Cathay Pacfic said 14 lbs was max.

Also CathayPacfic accepts 70 lbs on checkins , BUT United only accepted 50 lbs! We wound up paying an extra 100 bucks for one oversize bag. And had to shuffle stuff around in the others to change the weights. A hassle when you are at the counter.

I would recommend keeping carryons at 14 lbs and checked luggage 50 lbs to allay any fear of hassle.

We also checked or luggage straight thru to Cebu from the US. No shlepping heavy bags in LA to the Bradley Terminal.

We had a , missed flight and then domino effect and yet when we deplaned in MActan our 4 pieces of luggage were right there ! SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

We noticed many passengers bringing what looked like oversize carry ons and backpaks onto the Cathay Planes with no hassle. So maybe the 14 lbs and size restrictions are winked at. It all depends on who is at the Gate.

Anyway we are now in Cebu for a couple of months. zHope to visit with some of the locals while we are here.

I set my carry on down below the counter. They never see it. Never had a problem. But I don't usually take 35# who want's to drag heavy stuff through the terminal even on wheels.

Mike did you see what he said about United. I would talk to them again. that is the same trouble I had.

tom_shor
Sorry hoz ...... just reread your post and saw where they checked your bags all the way through ..... thanks for the information

Mike I think the 70# may be on the international leg only.

hoz

Mike I think the 70# may be on the international leg only.

Thats the feeling we got. The domestic leg was 50 lbs but the international is 70.

Bob Ward

Mike, make sure you ask what the overweight charges would be for the first leg. Typically they are around $25. So it would only cost you an extra $50 for that leg. China Air should be OK. You will definately pay overweight charges on CP but the are quite cheap. Probably no more than P300-400.

Mike S

Well you guys were right .... just called United Airlines AGAIN............ totally different answer ........ United has no baggage agreement with CP so there for will not be checked all the way through ........ I have to pick up my bags in Taipei and go through immigration and customs before getting on the CP flight to Cebu ........ at least this is what she told me ........ and the baggage weight is indeed 50# ....... however she said I could pay the $50 per bag over charge ....... and this because the bags won't go to the Phils ..... so I am technically flying from Orlando to Taipei and then on to Cebu .............

I'll bet if I call and ask again I will get a different answer .........

DO ANY OF THESE CLOWNS KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON???????????

Tom or anyone else .... did you have to go through immigration and customs before getting to Cebu besides in Manila

I also added this post to the Paper Ticket Issued thread as it is related ..... kinda ...... :o:D

Edited by Mike S