Having a minor in tow?

I do not know if it is still there. But, for years, LoneStar bar had a sign at the entrance. It read something to the effect that, a man would be fined if he were with a woman who was 10 years, or more, his junior. That is what I was actually thinking of when I replied.

Anyone else remember ever seeing that sign?

Edited by Paul
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TorJay

• Alan S

• Thelandofku-an

• Stranded Shipscook

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only recall members chatting about it. May I introduce you to the search button?   KonGC

If I remember rightly we talked about it at length here on LinC   KonGC

It might be rare for a foreigner to be so accused, but why take the risk? I certainly wouldnt.   Even if found not guilty, it could take a decade or more for the courts to rule.

Posted Images

Paul, on 28 August 2012 - 08:16 PM, said: The underlined section (directly above) would apply, in Jason's case.

As long as his gf is with them but from the OP I get the impression he's going to the market with the brother and she's not along.

Exactamundo.

Edited by TorJay

Also, Paul has met my gf and can see that she is slightly a little more than 10 years younger than me. I never thought that could have consequences.

Oy vey.

Edited by TorJay
easy44

Also, Paul has met my gf and can see that she is slightly a little more than 10 years younger than me. I never thought that could have consequences.

Oy vey.

It doesn't, as long as she is over 18.
  • Like 1
musicman666

Republic Act No. 7610 applies, namely this part:

ARTICLE VI

Other Acts of Abuse

Sec. 10. Other Acts of Neglect, Abuse, Cruelty or Exploitation and Other Conditions Prejudicial to the Child's Development.

(a) Any person who shall commit any other acts of child abuse, cruelty or exploitation or to be responsible for other conditions prejudicial to the child's development including those covered by Article 59 of Presidential Decree No. 603, as amended, but not covered by the Revised Penal Code, as amended, shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its minimum period.

(B. Any person who shall keep or have in his company a minor, twelve (12) years or under or who in ten (10) years or more his junior in any public or private place, hotel, motel, beer joint, discotheque, cabaret, pension house, sauna or massage parlor, beach and/or other tourist resort or similar places shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its maximum period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000): Provided, That this provision shall not apply to any person who is related within the fourth degree of consanguinity or affinity or any bond recognized by law, local custom and tradition or acts in the performance of a social, moral or legal duty.

© Any person who shall induce, deliver or offer a minor to any one prohibited by this Act to keep or have in his company a minor as provided in the preceding paragraph shall suffer the penalty of prision mayor in its medium period and a fine of not less than Forty thousand pesos (P40,000); Provided, however, That should the perpetrator be an ascendant, stepparent or guardian of the minor, the penalty to be imposed shall be prision mayor in its maximum period, a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000), and the loss of parental authority over the minor.

(d) Any person, owner, manager or one entrusted with the operation of any public or private place of accommodation, whether for occupancy, food, drink or otherwise, including residential places, who allows any person to take along with him to such place or places any minor herein described shall be imposed a penalty of prision mayor in its medium period and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (P50,000), and the loss of the license to operate such a place or establishment.

Basically in the phillipines school friend sleepovers that your child will expect to have are outlawed..... The law is unworkable and out of step with reality.

Alan S

If you can find old Philippine laws, that one (or something like it) only used to apply to FOREIGNERS.

Just shows how some people view foreigners, and even though the law has changed, those that think that way may still be keen to cite a foreigner for being in a situation when they wouldnt even consider it were it a local.

Far too risky to take the chance. (IMHO).

musicman666

If you can find old Philippine laws, that one (or something like it) only used to apply to FOREIGNERS.

Just shows how some people view foreigners, and even though the law has changed, those that think that way may still be keen to cite a foreigner for being in a situation when they wouldnt even consider it were it a local.

Far too risky to take the chance. (IMHO).

I'm still following the case of ellah joy ....the one where they are trying the foreigner from the uk.......but I couldn't help but notice in the sun star today a local who just beat to death a two year old because the young one happened to brush against his leg....

My point is that atrocities here in Cebu cut across the whole of society ...not just from foreigners.... They should treat everyone here by the same set of rules.

They should treat everyone here by the same set of rules.

When it comes to equality, some people are more equal than others.

Alan S

My point is that atrocities here in Cebu cut across the whole of society ...not just from foreigners.... They should treat everyone here by the same set of rules.

Perhaps they should. But as they dont (or dont appear to) many things that one takes for granted in ones home country are a major risk and best avoided.

• 1 month later...

Only if the child complains and you're abusing him/her as a slave or something. If they go along at their own free will and help just as a friend/relative that is different. If you are using them in a forced scare tactic manner and slave labor or child labor..yes that is a serious issue. There are Habal's that are 16, sales ladies that are 15, helpers that are actually 17 but say they are 20. You don't even know what age they are sometimes cause they don't have records or even remember themselves.

yes you can have your relatives cousin accompany you and help. But just to be safe I'd also have an adult relative of theirs so you are possibly questioned or targeted. Rare chance you will be but just safe. Foreigners are TARGETS here ..."Travel Tax"...tax you in other ways ......

• 4 weeks later...
rainymike

I've 4 young ones that I regularly do things with - as a group or individually. I'm generally not worried about the law. I am usually doing run of the mill, mundane things with them that don't attract much attention. I've never been hassled by anyone.

Now, the oldest is a 9 year old girl. I am comfortable taking her to the mall, to school, and the local sari store alone. However, I would never check into some sleaze bag hotel alone with her - even with the most noble of intentions. That, in my opinion, is asking for trouble.

There are gray areas here and you have to use your own judgement - kind of like going through security or customs at the airport.

to the OP

just keep in mind and this is quite clear in the law : u are braking it, the boy is under 18 and your more then 23 and he is not your relative.

your intent for the outing is not a dismissal of the law. I only takes a pissed of some1 to report u to the police and a hint of abuse for them

to act.

The only danger I see here is if someone gets jealous and envious of your wife/girlfriend and cause trouble for you. Even if you have the best intentions for the minors, and even if you have a clean heart, once you are reported to the authorities, this will cause you immeasurable stress and a huge hole in your pocket to defend yourself and prove your innocence.

It is best to avoid situations where you are alone with minors. In general, 99% of the people are kind, hospitable, helpful, loving, loyal, etc. Still, there's that 1% you have to think and worry about. Just my opinion.

Jim Sibbick

Only if the child complains and you're abusing him/her as a slave or something. If they go along at their own free will and help just as a friend/relative that is different.

Earlier this year, a foreigner brought a child to Cebu Doctors Hospital for treatment. Boarding the boat to go home, he was arrested.

No idea of the outcome but the child did not complain in this case.

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man
It is best to avoid situations where you are alone with minors.

I agree and my personal view is to take it one step further. I never leave a minor alone near me. If there are any young people, up to age 18 in my yard, in my house, in my car or just in my care then I make sure there is always someone other than myself or my wife with them. I may be paranoid but if anyone says anything negative then there is always an impartial witness to say what really happened.

That being said, I have often wondered what would happen if the yaya I employed abused a minor in my house. . . ain't this a wonderful country? It really is more fun here.