New User, Moving to the Phils soon, Considering Cebu

Heyo -

I'm Mase, a 20-something software developer, currently living in Washington State. My girlfriend and I will be heading to the Philippines in October for an undetermined amount of time, and we're currently considering Cebu as a place to hunker down for a bit. It looks like most of the questions that I'd want to ask have been covered at one point or another, but I hope to contribute something valuable at some point. :)

Most of my concerns center around business needs (reliability and cost of electricity, Internet, housing, transpo, etc), while my girl has more pressing interests (finding a good bar with a plentiful supply of whiskey, locating a good tattoo artist, etc). Sounds like this crew can help.

Looking forward to knowing you all!

Brucewayne

Hello.

From the tats I have seen here, I wouldn't let any of them touch me, but someone here may know of better artists than those who have done the tats I have seen.

johnormoc

Are you really coming here with your American girlfriend? Wow

That is like bringing a bucket of sand to the beach.

• Like 2
Panserhansen

Heyo -

I'm Mase, a 20-something software developer, currently living in Washington State. My girlfriend and I will be heading to the Philippines in October for an undetermined amount of time, and we're currently considering Cebu as a place to hunker down for a bit. It looks like most of the questions that I'd want to ask have been covered at one point or another, but I hope to contribute something valuable at some point. :)

Most of my concerns center around business needs (reliability and cost of electricity, Internet, housing, transpo, etc), while my girl has more pressing interests (finding a good bar with a plentiful supply of whiskey, locating a good tattoo artist, etc). Sounds like this crew can help.

Looking forward to knowing you all!

1BR apartment in Winland Towers might be an ok start for you. 20K+ a month + electricity 4000-6000 depending on air con use. Internet 1000 per MB limited to 3MB. Expect 5 % downtime, but a USB device can serve as a backup. There are blackouts now and then, but usually only for an hour. With the USB device and fully charged battery your internet should be ok, but not terrific. You could also stay one month in Sarrosa Hotel for about 40K while you look around. You will have internet and the benefits of living in a hotel.

Concerning whisky needs, there is a new bar in Crossroads, I forgot the name but you should find it easily once you get there. They seemed to have an excellent selection. Being in your 20s you probably like to hang out in IT Park(Loft, Penthouse), Formo at BTC but also Jokers Arms in AS Fortuna. This is where you fill find the younger expat crowd.

Tattoo is not my thing, but there is reportedly a good one in the basement of Ayala.

• 2 months later...
Buko Beach

Hello Mase,

I lol here with Mr.T's 'wow' comment. Now that's funny! You will only understand it fully once you're here.

Welcome to the forum.

:welcome2:

• Like 1

You'll hear stories about 'brownouts' (temporary loss of electricity), but thus far I haven't seen any big problem -- there have been only 3-4 for me in the time I've been here (arrived in June), and none has lasted more than an hour that I recall.

The internet might be a bigger problem for you -- it certainly has been for me. Very slow, very unreliable. If you must have a reliable connection for work reasons (and it sounds like you might, given your line of work), then I would recommend having two providers, so that at least one is likely to be working at any given time. Both will be slow, compared to even a second-rate DSL or cable connection in the States, but at least you'll have something.

smokey

Are you really coming here with your American girlfriend? Wow

maybe he has money and a GF and dont NEED to come to cebu for either

maybe he has money and a GF and dont NEED to come to cebu for either

Impossible. This smells fishy.

All foreigners I know in Cebu either don't have money or don't have a GF. They either come because they don't have alot of money, or because they can't get alot of girls elsewhere.

I'm shocked.