Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Elevated Water Tank and Tower Design

Knowdafish

Coincidentally, I just happened to run across this ad yesterday in Cebu Classifieds. Might be worth contacting these guys. Maybe they can act as consultants if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.cebuclass...l.php?id=897130   <<< "Ad removed or not yet approved"

BTW, a deepwell pump and a water tower is definitely the way for you to go. There will be no need for a pressure pump with a water tower. Pressure and flow will be more than adequate for your purposes.

Ummm, maybe a properly injected disclaimer should be injected into this sentence? :)

Something like:

There will be no need for a pressure pump with a water tower that is properly designed and high enough. Pressure and flow will be more than adequate for your purposes, if it is high enough. 

Knowdafish

A few years ago we had a 24 foot tower built with tank and plumbing supplied by an electric pump pulling water out of a hole drilled supposedly to reach potable water.  The whole setup including drilling cost 100k php and was a waste of money as we have never used it.  Despite assurances the water would be clean enough to drink, the actual result was something that smelled off and stained yellow.

My current plan when we belatedly get gutters on the house is to run them into a lower tank and connect the pump to push it up to the tower tank.  I grew up on a farm where we used rain water off the roof for drinking without any chemicals etc so I think this should work.  Especially as the lower tank should collect sediment and stuff with mostly clean waster being delivered on high.  When it rains it pours (and it rains a lot) so mostly we won't be using town water plus the added bonus of not having to buy potable water.

While it would be good for most purposes, but I would not drink it. With all of the air pollution here, the rain will likely be polluted and acidic. I've had more than one friend here who tried to drink "fresh" rainwater here and not feeling well immediately afterwards. 

• Like 1

Doromaner

Here is a smart off grid water plan:

1. Pump water from source, source could be a pond, stream, well, or rain collection.

2. Run through a home made sand based pre-filter(a 5 gallon bucket with an input on top and and output on bottom with a 12 inch layer of pool filter sand sandwiched between rocks on the top and the bottom. 5 gallon bucket with rocks and sand $20.

3. Run into a storage tank and treat with calcium chloride(powdered chlorine or bleach). One teaspoon treats 200 gallons. $50 dollars worth will last a lifetime.

4. Now run into 2 Big Blue filters, the first is a 20 micron sediment filter and the next a 5 micron carbon filter. This water will be 100 percent safe for household use. Big Blues run around $50 each.

5. For drinking water purchase a Berkey filter, these are by far the best on the market. They sit on the counter and will filter filthy water clean. They will filter 6000 gallons before the cartridges must be changed. Berkeys run around $250.

• Like 3

ellenbrook2001

Another alternative is to use an electric pump to create the pressure rather than building a tower. more cost effective IMO

yes correct that the more appropriate solution if you do not have too many brown out?? since we put one here wow pressure very good they did elevated the thank but no much improvement the pump did solved the problem

• Like 1

Doromaner

Yeah, with the cost you guys are talking about for a tower I will be going with a pressure tank and pump for sure.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Getting back to the tower itself...Didn't Skyman construct a tower a few months ago? I did a search but didn't find the thread but I believe he was asking for a blueprint for a tower and he planned on doing the welding/labor himself..., I may be mistaken though... Might have been another member

Never built it.  The cost for the height of the tower I would need was too much.  I'll be going with a pumping system and my current 1KL tank will become a hottub and dog pool.  :)

I'm told a concrete tower is cheaper than steel however, with steel you have the ability to sell it for scrap if you eventually decide you don't need it any more.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

SkyMan

I appreciate your input, so I know my options. I thought you may be interested in this link on the treadle pump. I am fascinated by the simplicity of these and think they could be very popular in the Phills. 14 meter lift and 600 liters per hour capacity, not to mention good exercise. $30 from China, not bad!

http://sunshinefurniture.en.alibaba.com/product/328648546-200592657/Treadle_Pumps.html

I really like this pump and would buy one but there's a serious problem with your $30 price.  That's the price for a minimum order of 100.  So, if you buy 100 of them let me know and I'll buy one from you.  Or perhaps you know where I can buy one?

Paul

Didn't Skyman construct a tower a few months ago? I did a search but didn't find the thread...

http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/52317-water-tower-design/

Or, scroll to the bottom of this thread to find the link.

SkyMan

TJ, what did you end up doing regarding this topic?

Actually nothing so far.  Yes, I'm still trucking water to my place.  I have a financial problem that isn't major but I would like to have resolved before going ahead with anything major.  It looks like that may be cleared up soon and then I'll order the pump and start drilling.  I'm not going to do a tower.  I'm going to do a constant pressure system (CPS) I discussed in another thread somewhere.  With this system there will be a small pressure tank on the surface to hold the pressure at a setting of say 50psi (which is the lowest setting), on demand the controller will sense a pressure drop and activate the deep well pump in an analog fashion (not full on) to supply a constant 50psi to the system.

With this system the added expense is a more expensive controller, but I don't need a tower/tank, or a larger more expensive pressure tank, or an additional pressure pump.  I also don't have pump noise because the only pump is 200ft down a hole.

Edited by SkyMan

Doromaner

I really like this pump and would buy one but there's a serious problem with your $30 price.  That's the price for a minimum order of 100.  So, if you buy 100 of them let me know and I'll buy one from you.  Or perhaps you know where I can buy one?

They will sell you one if you contact them.

indiana

all depends on where you live. water where i live comes out from the moutian and so we have water  when no el.  pressure is ok for the house. you could still have tank to ad warm water ( from sun) and more pressure. me i need cold showers when in the philippines. :db: 

• Like 1

SkyMan

Thanks, do you know if priming is required?  I don't see anything on the site about priming.  The one picture shows the pump being operated halfway up a hill from the source and halfway down from the destinations so I would think that would be very hard to prime.  Maybe it's self priming?

The wiki mentions nothing about priming but it does have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadle_pump

One of the first instances of the treadle pump moving out of Bangladesh was its promotion by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in the Philippines in 1984, under Robert Stickney. There it was called the “Tapak-Tapak” Pump.

Edited by SkyMan

Doromaner

Thanks, do you know if priming is required?  I don't see anything on the site about priming.  The one picture shows the pump being operated halfway up a hill from the source and halfway down from the destinations so I would think that would be very hard to prime.  Maybe it's self priming?

The wiki mentions nothing about priming but it does have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadle_pump

They are self priming. Just start stepping and it will start sucking. I have ordered a number of things out of China in the past, and have always found the Chinese very professional and responsive to questions, so feel free to inquire to them. They are more capitalistic than the West.

easy44

I have a 4500 liter ground level water tank made out of concrete that is fed by a spring located about 1 km away.  The water seems to be very good quality, although I haven't had it tested, but the locals drink it straight from the tank without any problems.  I haven't done that yet but will probably try at some point, when I'm feeling reckless!

I use a 3/4 hp pressure pump connected to a small pressure tank through 3 filters, including a 5 micron sediment, 1 micron sediment and a 1 micron charcoal.   The system works great feeding a two story house.  The pressure switch is set at 20 psi on and 40 psi off.  This gives me plenty of pressure to take a good shower on the second floor or do anything else I need to do.  I do have a backup generator so brownouts are not a problem.

• Like 2