Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Elevated Water Tank and Tower Design

Doromaner

I didn't think of the load side of the solar controller. There again, I wasn't sure, as I have not explored that far into solar water pumping.

I'm glad you found that, though. 

I appreciate your input, so I know my options. I thought you may be interested in this link on the treadle pump. I am fascinated by the simplicity of these and think they could be very popular in the Phills. 14 meter lift and 600 liters per hour capacity, not to mention good exercise. $30 from China, not bad!

http://sunshinefurniture.en.alibaba.com/product/328648546-200592657/Treadle_Pumps.html

• Like 1

Paul

I didn't realize they had that much lift. I had seen some that could pull water from about 7 meters, maybe 8. I guess I missed those. Damned good show. 

Doromaner

I appreciate your input, so I know my options. I thought you may be interested in this link on the treadle pump. I am fascinated by the simplicity of these and think they could be very popular in the Phills. 14 meter lift and 600 liters per hour capacity, not to mention good exercise. $30 from China, not bad!http://sunshinefurniture.en.alibaba.com/product/328648546-200592657/Treadle_Pumps.html

I meant to type 6000 liters per hour, not 600. So filling a 750 liter tank would take less than 10 minutes.

Doromaner

To answer the OP. I'd guess digging footings,concrete, welding, steel, paint, pipe, unions, non return valves, cocks, access ladder, manual pump. Somewhere from 50- 80k.

Small windmill would be an ideal application to run a mechanical pump.

If it is this expensive I will be using a pressure tank. I was figuring around 12-15k for the tower itself. Pvc pipe is cheap. Concrete is cheap. It is really the steel I am not sure about the price.

broden

To answer the OP. I'd guess digging footings,concrete, welding, steel, paint, pipe, unions, non return valves, cocks, access ladder, manual pump. Somewhere from 50- 80k.

Small windmill would be an ideal application to run a mechanical pump.

that's not a bad idea.. down here they put smallish solar panels on everything too 

Doromaner

Found it. The OP might get some ideas from this:

(holy crap... It's been almost a year since he started this thread... seems like just a few months)http://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/52317-water-tower-design/

I just read the thread. Thank You. The conclusion I came to is use as large of pvc pipe as possible for maximum flow vs pressure. Then use a low flow shower head to constrict the incoming flow so the shower feels stronger.

I could not imagine the cost to build a tower 15 meters high. To rich for my blood.

Paul

If it is this expensive I will be using a pressure tank. I was figuring around 12-15k for the tower itself. Pvc pipe is cheap. Concrete is cheap. It is really the steel I am not sure about the price.

Steel isn't cheap. Honestly, I don't think that concrete is so cheap any longer, either, in the Philippines.

Incidentally, if you develop a system where you just have the pump run off a solar panel array, you can see in the attached PDF, how wide of voltage range these pumps can run off. So, it would not be out of the question to have one run directly off an array, without dealing with the expense of the (deep cycle) batteries.

There is a solar powered pump in Phnom Penh that runs ONLY off a solar array. It starts pumping in the morning, when first light hits the panels. It stops as dusk slips across the horizon. They tell me that pump turns about 20 to 25 cubic meters PER DAY. That is a lot of water - up to 25,000 liters!

Paul

I just read the thread.

That's why I am glad I enabled the "tag system" on this site, finally. Use similar tags, for similar topics, and the other topics will come up at the bottom of this one. It saves having to search so hard for threads, by having tags attached to the title of the thread. 

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted, mate. I hope the members have helped give you some insight as to which way to go with this. I am happy to help look up information whenever possible. 

• Like 3

Doromaner

I have one post that quotes around 12,000 and another that quotes around 65,000 cost for the same tower, so I don't know what to believe on that one.

poby

A few years ago we had a 24 foot tower built with tank and plumbing supplied by an electric pump pulling water out of a hole drilled supposedly to reach potable water.  The whole setup including drilling cost 100k php and was a waste of money as we have never used it.  Despite assurances the water would be clean enough to drink, the actual result was something that smelled off and stained yellow.

My current plan when we belatedly get gutters on the house is to run them into a lower tank and connect the pump to push it up to the tower tank.  I grew up on a farm where we used rain water off the roof for drinking without any chemicals etc so I think this should work.  Especially as the lower tank should collect sediment and stuff with mostly clean waster being delivered on high.  When it rains it pours (and it rains a lot) so mostly we won't be using town water plus the added bonus of not having to buy potable water.

CebuKano

Another option I'm sure you've considered is attaching the tower to your house. That way the tank is already elevated to roof level and any extra elevation of the tank is a plus. I don't have a tower because I put our main tank on the fourth floor of our house. The fourth floor is just a open rooftop garden area. But if I had a one or two level house I'd consider a few meter extension above the roof level for my tank. Very common here also. That would save you some money on material and labor perhaps.

Paul

I have one post that quotes around 12,000 and another that quotes around 65,000 cost for the same tower, so I don't know what to believe on that one.

Well, my estimate was a guess. If Bob gave you an estimate, I imagine it would be a lot closer than mine, for sure. Not to mention, he stays on top of construction costs, due to improvements he makes on his own property in Moalboal.

• Like 1

Paul

TJ, what did you end up doing regarding this topic?

towboat72

I would also like to know what was done here.