Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Elevated Water Tank and Tower Design

smokey

pressure tank lot smaller

SkyMan
Holy Cow! Are you still having to truck water up in barrels in the back of the multicab? Man, I definitely would get something going.
Well, yes, actually. It's not too bad. It takes me about 4-5 trips a month. Gives my wife a chance to visit the friend we get the water from and what we get isn't enough to raise their bill above the minimum p150. Still, I want the tower to be able to plumb the house and then when we get the well drilled, the tower will be there ready for it.
If you are going to go with a pressure pump for sure, just put the tank on the ground
Trying to avoid the pressure pump. The end system is hopefully a deep well with submersed pump bringing the water directly up to the tank on the tower, then gravity from there. Much less dependence on the electrical power that way. If the tower doesn't provide enough pressure though, a pressure pump could be added on the tower and if there is an extended black out, we'd still have a full tank and some pressure.
how often do u lose ur water supply?
Have none now.
are u sure it will go 15 metres up?
I have a small portable pump for that right now.
if it does easily, why dont you just plumb ur shower off the mains,
What mains?

The size of the pipes don't matter if you have 0psi.

SkyMan
To get good water flow in your house, use big pipe (1" or bigger) for your main plumbing
Well, that's a good rule for a house like yours but our house only has 1 toilet, hand sink, shower, kitchen sink, and eventually washing machine. And with only the 2 of us living here it's pretty easy to make sure only 1 is used at a time. So anything larger than 3/4 inch feeding all those 1/2 inch fixtures is overkill.

Paul
Trying to avoid the pressure pump. The end system is hopefully a deep well with submersed pump bringing the water directly up to the tank on the tower, then gravity from there. Much less dependence on the electrical power that way. If the tower doesn't provide enough pressure though, a pressure pump could be added on the tower and if there is an extended black out, we'd still have a full tank and some pressure.

I actually had written, "I wouldn't do that myself, but..." and edited it out of my post, as I agree with you.

easy44

Coincidentally, I just happened to run across this ad yesterday in Cebu Classifieds. Might be worth contacting these guys. Maybe they can act as consultants if you want to do it yourself.

http://www.cebuclass...l.php?id=897130

BTW, a deepwell pump and a water tower is definitely the way for you to go. There will be no need for a pressure pump with a water tower. Pressure and flow will be more than adequate for your purposes.

Edited by easy44

SkyMan

Thanks for that ad. That's an interesting tower design in the picture. It appears the tank is to be raised to the platform through the middle of the tower. My plastic tank doesn't weigh that much so I was going to bring it up the side.

15 metres?? hahaha.
Well, I said 12-15. 12 is a good number as steel comes in 6m lengths. 6m only gives .6bar or less than 9psi which is hardly worth bothering with. Edited by SkyMan

Doromaner

I am wanting to elevate a 750 liter stainless water tank up to around 5 meters high. I know this is very commonly done but I am in the US now and am trying to get an idea of the cost involved to build the tower itself. I already have the water tank.

CebuKano

The cost of constructing a tower 16 1/2 feet high is very cheap here but you may want to consider increasing the height so you can enjoy more water pressure.

• Like 1

Doromaner

Yeah, maybe it is worth the extra money to go 20-25 feet high. I would like to know the cost.

tobster

Another alternative is to use an electric pump to create the pressure rather than building a tower. more cost effective IMO

Doromaner

Another alternative is to use an electric pump to create the pressure rather than building a tower. more cost effective IMO

I like the idea of being less dependent on the electrical grid by using a tower vs a pump and pressure tank. A non electric treadle pump can be used to get water to the tank if no electricity is available.

The cost of constructing a tower 16 1/2 feet high is very cheap here but you may want to consider increasing the height so you can enjoy more water pressure.

How cheap?

• Like 1

Paul

I can't give you an idea of the cost of the steel to build a  tower. My guess would be in the neighborhood of a couple, to three hundred USD, or about 8,000 Php - 12,000 Php? This is only a guess on my part, though. 

My question is this. Is the water pressure in that area high enough to fill a tank that is very high off the ground? 

GoHuk

I can't give you an idea of the cost of the steel to build a  tower. My guess would be in the neighborhood of a couple, to three hundred USD, or about 8,000 Php - 12,000 Php? This is only a guess on my part, though. 

My question is this. Is the water pressure in that area high enough to fill a tank that is very high off the ground? 

Maybe a little on the low side if the OP needs to construct a base for the tower which will add about 2,000 PHP (labour + material) to the overall cost.

If a lift pump is needed then add another 3,000 PHP.

Edited by GoHuk

Paul

Maybe a little on the low side if the OP needs to construct a base for the tower which will add about 2,000 PHP (labour + material) to the overall cost.

If a lift pump is needed then add another 3,000 PHP.

I stand corrected. I was only thinking of the steel involved. Concreted base will add a fair amount more to this deal. 

I think you would be better off with a tank on the ground and a pressure pump, as has been suggested. 

If the area is not overly covered, you could run the pump off a single solar panel, if you didn't want to use mains power, for whatever reason(s). 

Doromaner

I stand corrected. I was only thinking of the steel involved. Concreted base will add a fair amount more to this deal. 

I think you would be better off with a tank on the ground and a pressure pump, as has been suggested. 

If the area is not overly covered, you could run the pump off a single solar panel, if you didn't want to use mains power, for whatever reason(s). 

I just don't like the idea of having no water if the power is out. I can always cook with coal in an emergency, but water is a necessity.

You guys should google TREADLE PUMPS. You can buy one out of China or India for around $50. No electricity needed for lots of lift. Particularly useful in the provinces.

• Like 1