Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Elevated Water Tank and Tower Design

SkyMan

I need to build a water tower so I guess I need a structural engineer to design it? I looked around on the web but nothing there specific even close to what I want. Plus I'll need an engineer to sign it off anyway. Anyone know a good one in the Liloan area?

Thanks

Edited by Paul
added tags

Paul

I'm sure you know this already. But, in case you don't - make sure you build it tall enough so you have high enough water pressure.

You will get about .433 PSI per each foot high.

Davaoeno

We just built a water tower for a new house. And we didnt need no damn badges !! ie inspectors or engineers. We had the welder build it and put the tank on top - end of story !

Do you really want to go the building permit/signed off by engineer route ??

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2

CebuKano

"stinking" badges :D Yes, if it were me I would go your route too Ian. And I believe that one would need a mechanical engineer to do a final signoff vs. a structural. Something to do with the water pipe, valves, etc... Better to hire a good welder like you say and just be done with it.

• Like 1

Brucewayne

We just built a water tower for a new house. And we didnt need no damn badges !! ie inspectors or engineers. We had the welder build it and put the tank on top - end of story !

Do you really want to go the building permit/signed off by engineer route ??

Yes, that's all anyone in the Tayud area does.

Anyone with much experience with welding here has built at least one tower, a very simple job, just watch the steel prices and buy it yourself if you know what I mean.

Runian

Cos I rent and dont have moneys to to buy and build any permanent structures this is how I will make my water tower ,, one day.

10016006a.jpg

More

will be looking 4 the clamps used in builders framework for strength

Rune

Headshot

I'm sure you know this already. But, in case you don't - make sure you build it tall enough so you have high enough water pressure.

You will get about .433 PSI per each foot high.

You don't really need a tall tower. The rule of thumb here is at least one story higher than the house being served. The important thing if you have a water tower is water flow...not pressure. To get good water flow in your house, use big pipe (1" or bigger) for your main plumbing. You can neck it down just before you get to faucets and showers (so they are connected to the diameter fittings they are designed for) and you will do just fine. Big pipes equal lots of flow due to less drag. If you use small pipes in your plumbing system, then I would recommend using a pressure tank rather than a water tower. You get 14.7 psi per 33 feet you raise the tank (above the faucet). Therefore, if you are going for normal pressure you would find in a Western water system (50 psi), your tank will have to be 112 feet high. It is just a lot easier to go with water flow rate rather than line pressure. Your shower won't be hard on your skin, but there will be plenty of water (which is most important anyway unless you are using pulse heads in your shower).

• Like 1

Paul

<-- Likes high pressure showers. :D:P

• Like 1

SkyMan
Better to hire a good welder like you say and just be done with it.
I wasn't going to hire a good welder, I was going to weld it myself. :rimshot: I would just like to know that someone with some kind of degree in a related field can give me a design with the proper size pieces of steel to secure 1KL of water 12-15 meters in the air. Particularly if I put it near my house which is the current plan.

<-- Likes high pressure showers. :D:P

I agree but for the moment I'm just trying to free up my second hand. I want some water raining down from above instead of having to pour it on myself from a dipper. :yahoo:
  • Like 2

Headshot

Honestly, if you want it designed by an engineer and were planning to get a building permit anyway, just go to the city engineer and have him design it for you. At least then, you will know for sure it will pass inspection. If you are just looking for a good design, then find a design that is similar to what you want and copy it. 15 meters (almost 50 feet) is pretty tall, but will still only provide you with 22 psi at ground level. I'm glad it will be you climbing that tower and not me. If that is what you are really planning, then getting a civil engineer to do the design is probably a good idea. Be ready though. What they design is probably going to be a lot heavier than what you are thinking about. I hope you can afford to build what they will design.

• Like 2

sperry

You don't really need a tall tower. The rule of thumb here is at least one story higher than the house being served. The important thing if you have a water tower is water flow...not pressure. To get good water flow in your house, use big pipe (1" or bigger) for your main plumbing. You can neck it down just before you get to faucets and showers (so they are connected to the diameter fittings they are designed for) and you will do just fine. Big pipes equal lots of flow due to less drag. If you use small pipes in your plumbing system, then I would recommend using a pressure tank rather than a water tower. You get 14.7 psi per 33 feet you raise the tank (above the faucet). Therefore, if you are going for normal pressure you would find in a Western water system (50 psi), your tank will have to be 112 feet high. It is just a lot easier to go with water flow rate rather than line pressure. Your shower won't be hard on your skin, but there will be plenty of water (which is most important anyway unless you are using pulse heads in your shower).

quite right. but in uk, they say the minimum is 1m of head, but one storey is ample especially if u use big pipes as you suggest.

and where i come from the water os often at 5 bar, but the first appliance is a pressure reducer to bring it down to 1 bar.

sperry

I wasn't going to hire a good welder, I was going to weld it myself. :rimshot: I would just like to know that someone with some kind of degree in a related field can give me a design with the proper size pieces of steel to secure 1KL of water 12-15 meters in the air. Particularly if I put it near my house which is the current plan.

I agree but for the moment I'm just trying to free up my second hand. I want some water raining down from above instead of having to pour it on myself from a dipper. :yahoo:

15 metres?? hahaha.

if u dont want to listen to good advice then I would make it 30 metres to be on the safe side. rememeber a dripping tap at 50psi doesnt give a good shower, so better double the height to 30 metres to be on the safe side

CebuKano

Ah, ok. No problem. So all you need to know is 4 inch GI pipe for the outside support with 2x2 inch angle iron for cross support. 8 inch anchor bolts into 8 inch concrete base (minimum, I'd go 12 inch). You are all set. Problem solved.

• Like 2

Paul

Holy Cow! Are you still having to truck water up in barrels in the back of the multicab? Man, I definitely would get something going.

If you are going to go with a pressure pump for sure, just put the tank on the ground.

sperry

I just dont understand why u r doing this.

how often do u lose ur water supply?

are u sure it will go 15 metres up?

if it does easily, why dont you just plumb ur shower off the mains, and make the water tank much lower for all other taps.

if it does but at low flow rate (and hence not good enough for a shower) this proves to you what headshot says its true, its flow not pressure that counts

as a backup for when the water is turned off, have a low pressure tap in the shower for filipino style bucket and pail showers

u really are using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

headshot is 100% right.

paul is the opposite.

its is rate of flow that gives you a nice shower, not pressure. if someone empties a bucket of water over your head from 6 inches, it is at 0 psi/bar but it will give u

far more exhilaration than you want.

on this point the rest is silence from me now.

• Like 1