Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

****PAPER TICKETS ISSUED****

Mike S

Three of the best words I have ever heard ........ now waiting for the FedEx man ....... now for you that have been following the trials and turmoils of my pending flight to Cebu I finally got a conformation of my flight ......................

IT IS THE EXACT SAME FLIGHT ... TIME ... AND AIRLINES as my previous 2 requests from CheapTickets for $732 ........ they said the flight of Cebu Pacific could not be confirmed and so the tickets could not be issued ......

However I went on line and found Airlineconsolidator.com ........ and booked the exact same itinerary as my previous flight ...... with in 36 hours I had a conformation back from them stating that all is well and the tickets are on their way ....... price ...... $804 ....... maybe a little more but worth it for piece of mind ............

Now to see if they will let me check my bags all the way through to Cebu with out having to carry them with me when I get to LA ...... and then again when I get to Taipei ..........

Anyone flown this route before ...... if so what advise can you give me about what to expect ....... here is the itinerary

Orlando to Cebu

Flight 1 Tuesday, April 22, 2008

confirmed

Departure: 07:40 Orlando, USA -

Orlando International

Arrival: 10:02 Los Angeles, USA -

Los Angeles International

, terminal 7

Airline: United Airlines UA273

Aircraft:

Airbus Industrie A320-100/200

Last check in: information not available

Fare type: Economy Restricted

Baggage: information not available

FOOD FOR PURCHASE

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 5:13

Flight 2 Tuesday, April 22, 2008

confirmed

Departure: 15:15 Los Angeles, USA -

, terminal B

Arrival: 20:10 +1 day(s) Taipei, Taiwan -

Taiwan Taoyuan International

, terminal 2

Airline: China Airlines CI005

Aircraft:

Boeing 747-400

MEAL (NON SPECIFIC)

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 3:05

Flight 3 Wednesday, April 23, 2008

confirmed

Departure: 23:15 Taipei, Taiwan -

, terminal 1

Arrival: 01:55 +1 day(s) Cebu, Philippines -

Mactan International

Airline: Cebu Air 5J303

Aircraft:

Airbus Industrie A319

information not available

The Total Amount of this Purchase is $802.00 usd

The date and time I arrive in Cebu will be Thursday, April 24, 2008 at 01:55am ........ will that be the exact time and date in Cebu ...... need to be sure so I can set up with Danny to pick me up at the airport and also to make reservations for a place to stay ......

Now on to the airline to check on baggage ...... but did find out that flights to and from the Phils are allowed 2 70# bags .... but will make sure anyway ......

Oh by the way I am going to try and document all these proceedings so that those that come after will have a guage of things to do and not to do ........ :D:huh::lol: :lol:

Edited by Mike S

Steve

Three of the best words I have ever heard ........ now waiting for the FedEx man ....... now for you that have been following the trials and turmoils of my pending flight to Cebu I finally got a conformation of my flight ......................

IT IS THE EXACT SAME FLIGHT ... TIME ... AND AIRLINES as my previous 2 requests from CheapTickets for $732 ........ they said the flight of Cebu Pacific could not be confirmed and so the tickets could not be issued ......

However I went on line and found Airlineconsolidator.com ........ and booked the exact same itinerary as my previous flight ...... with in 36 hours I had a conformation back from them stating that all is well and the tickets are on their way ....... price ...... $804 ....... maybe a little more but worth it for piece of mind ............

Now to see if they will let me check my bags all the way through to Cebu with out having to carry them with me when I get to LA ...... and then again when I get to Taipei ..........

Anyone flown this route before ...... if so what advise can you give me about what to expect ....... here is the itinerary

Orlando to Cebu

Flight 1 Tuesday, April 22, 2008

confirmed

Departure: 07:40 Orlando, USA -

Orlando International

Arrival: 10:02 Los Angeles, USA -

, terminal 7

Airline: United Airlines UA273

Aircraft:

Airbus Industrie A320-100/200

FOOD FOR PURCHASE

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 5:13

Flight 2 Tuesday, April 22, 2008

confirmed

Departure: 15:15 Los Angeles, USA -

, terminal B

Arrival: 20:10 +1 day(s) Taipei, Taiwan -

, terminal 2

Airline: China Airlines CI005

Aircraft:

Boeing 747-400

MEAL (NON SPECIFIC)

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 3:05

Flight 3 Wednesday, April 23, 2008

confirmed

Departure: 23:15 Taipei, Taiwan -

, terminal 1

Arrival: 01:55 +1 day(s) Cebu, Philippines -

Mactan International

Airline: Cebu Air 5J303

Aircraft:

Airbus Industrie A319

information not available

The Total Amount of this Purchase is $802.00 usd

The date and time I arrive in Cebu will be Thursday, April 24, 2008 at 01:55am ........ will that be the exact time and date in Cebu ...... need to be sure so I can set up with Danny to pick me up at the airport and also to make reservations for a place to stay ......

Now on to the airline to check on baggage ...... but did find out that flights to and from the Phils are allowed 2 70# bags .... but will make sure anyway ......

Oh by the way I am going to try and document all these proceedings so that those that come after will have a guage of things to do and not to do ........ :D:huh::lol: :lol:

***in a jealous tone*** CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Aerosick

AT LAX: Change of plane required. Time between flights = 5:13

From United at Terminal 7 to the Tom Bradley International Terminal, it's a 10 minute walk for me. Probably 20~30 minutes for a fat, old guy...

Once you're there, the food courts are in the Upper Level (departure) area.

See you in Cebu !!!

Billy

Cebuned

Mike S.,

Have a great trip..... :D Wish I was going, thats for sure.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't check your bags all the way through to Cebu....

Enjoy,

Ned

tideclipper

Congrats!!!! I am a bit jealous but you have a great trip!!!

jackspratt

I think youll find "arrival" times quoted are the local times in that place.....it is on my flight schedule for next month....

u may find the info here.....

http://www.mactan-cebuairport.com.ph/index.php

:D

Bob Ward

Go Go Go!

Yes that will be your date and time of arrival in Cebu. Obviously the CP flight could be late, but that can be dealt with.

Boy, you got lucky on the United flight as their baggage allowance will change just after you fly.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52481,00.html

You might want to get on the horn to United customer service. Their domestic and international weight limit for baggage is only 50 lbs except to/from Brazil, El Salvador, The Philippines.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52482,00.html

Now here is the key question. Do they consider you an international passenger since you are connecting to another carrier (Chinese at that) and not continuing out of country on United. This is a pretty big question. While you have them see if you can check the baggage all the way through, but I kind of doubt it. Hoprfully they will have a reciprocation agreement in place with China Airlines and you will be considered an international passenger to the Phils so you can avoid extra and overweight baggage charges, plus get your luggage checked through.

The other issue will be if you can check your luggage through in Taipei from CA to CP. You gotta love it.

You are an adventureous sort coming into Cebu at that hour. I only say that because of the accomodations you mentioned previously, pension house versus hotel, pension houses sometimes do not have attendants on duty at that time. Luckily Danny will be with you so you will be covered! I think I would have coughed up the extra $54 and taken the Cathay Pacific route through HKK and gotten in at mid day. But look at it this way, getting in at about 2 am will be like 1 pm for you. The jet lag does suck!

Last comment is totally mute at this point as you have already purchased your tickets. This information is for others who will follow you only. If you had booked the same flights directly with the airlines, the total would have been $718.70. But hopefully since you went through a consolidator, all the airlines involved will consider it one trip and not three separate segments.

Best of luck and let me know if you need anything!!!

Bon Voyage

Edited by Bob Ward

Mike S

Yea you may just be right Bob ..... but I made the reservations before I saw your excellent find ...... thanks ...... just got off the phone with United and according to the woman that I spoke to (couldn't hardly understand her) my bags will be checked through but I will confirm this again later in the month ....... got my seats all taken care of except CP's ....... can't seem to find anywhere on their website that lets me choose my seat ....... in fact for an airline their website is pretty lame ......

God ... I never thought about the pension house check in guess by the time I get through Customs and Immigration and out to Danny it will be about 3:00am ........ may just have to take a cheap hotel for a couple of nights while I check out the pension houses and then the areas I might want to live in .......

tim

Got a question, if I had read this thread correctly, Mike you are just buying a one way ticket to Cebu. Or is this a round trip ticket? My understanding is that you have to have a two way ticket to enter the Philippines. Do you have a exit ticket to HK or something like that? Just wondering.

Thanks

Tim

Edited by tim

Bob Ward

Yes he has a throw away Tiger Airlines ticket, to Malaysia I think.

Mike S

Yes Tim ..... I purchased a one-way ticket from Tiger Airlines for a trip to Singapore from Clark for $53 ....... they issue a eticket so you print it on line ....... I had to buy it to comply with the onward regulation ....... I figured it was a lot cheaper to loose $53 dollars that to by a round trip from the states and only get back half of the unused return when I cashed it in ....... plus it it was a discounted ticket they will not refund your money no matter what ...........

I think terp mentioned that he bought a onward ticket from a boat company and was able to cash it back in with very little loss .... but as I an not in the Phils yet I had to go this route ....... but once I am here I think I will try his suggestion ......

There are other ways around the situation but I don't want to go through the hassle after flying some 23 hours plus there is the chance that I could be bumped as I have to use 3 different airlines ...... this way I am complying with the regs .......

Bob Ward

Thought! Make sure you buy some Pesos in Taipei or LA as the money changer in Cebu will be closed at that hour.

Regarding the pension house/apartelle issue, On the day before you are to arrive, I could go to a place like D&L and pay for a few days/week in advance and get a key issued. I would also insure they issue you a good room! Then Danny could stop by D&L during the day and pick up the key so you could just go straight to your room with no check in worries. This would also save the added expense of a hotel room. Then take a few days/week to look at all the available apartelles/pension houses and see what you think!

Mike S

Hey that is great advise Bob ...... think Danny would do that before hand ...... I can pay him when I get there if he is agreeable ........

Bob Ward

Danny is a GREAT guy. He will accomodate if it's not impossible!

Mike S

Bob sent you an IM on Yahoo

tom_shor

Good luck. I'm green with envy. Or maybe just green. :)

When you talked with United did you ask if you could send two #70 bags? Last time I flew United they would only allow #50 on the domestic leg unless you pay overweight charges. I'll be there in Sept hope to see you then. :D

Mike S

Yes Tom that was one question I specifically asked .... the other was if they would ship my bags through ....... they said yes to both questions ............ but the rules for baggage change in May and I believe it goes to 50#'s ....... will do a web search for you and report back here ............... seems that my ticket is book right through to Cebu even though I am taking 3 different airlines ...... by the way if you haven't yet join ...... United Mileage Plus ............... it costs nothing and allows you to make seat changes and other stuff with United also see your entire itinerary ........

tom_shor
Never mind Tom ....... looks like it is just for domestic flights but here is the link anyway ...... in case others need it

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,.../11&time=11

Thanks for the info but I'm already a member. I used my free ticket on my last trip. That's when they told me I could onlt take #50 to SF then #70 after that. Glad they let you I mist have talked to the wrong guy. Have a safe trip. :D

Mike S

Sounds like they screwed up Tom .... here is the info from their own website ............

International baggage information

Customers traveling to/from the United States and all international destinations

are required to have their baggage checked 45 minutes prior to flight departure time.

Maximum linear dimensions of all bags: 62 inches/158cm (length + width + height) each

* The number of checked bags permitted varies with your Mileage Plus status and/or class of service

Please review the information below for additional details and exceptions.

International destinations

(excluding travel to/from Brazil, El Salvador, The Philippines)

Customers

Economy Class 2 bags, maximum 50 pounds/23kg each

First or Business Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Global Services, 1K, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold Members 3 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Military customers on tour 2 duffel bags, sea bags or B-4 bags up to 70 pounds/32kg and 115 linear inches/292cm

Fees for baggage more than 70 pounds/32kg or exceeding the maximum linear dimensions vary by destination. Contact United or your travel agent prior to your trip for details.

Baggage must be checked at the airport at least 45 minutes prior to flight departure time.

Travel to/from Brazil, The Philippines:

Customers

Economy Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

First or Business Class 2 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Global Services, 1K, Premier Executive and Star Alliance Gold Members 3 bags, maximum 70 pounds/32kg each

Military customers on tour 2 duffel bags, sea bags or B-4 bags up to 70 pounds/32kg and 115 linear inches/292cm

But as I said I will contact them again in a few weeks to make sure about the check through to Cebu and the poundage .... and will check again right before I leave ........ also plan on taking a copy of their policy with me just in case ...... can never be to careful

Edited by Mike S

tom_shor

Yes what they told me was the part from Phoenix to SFO wasn't an international flight. So I could only take 50# on that leg. Silly huh. I just went with the 50# rather than winding up with 40# of extra stuff at the airport. :) Enjoy your trip. See you in sept. :D

Mike S

Well you guys were right .... just called United Airlines AGAIN............ totally different answer ........ United has no baggage agreement with CP so there for will not be checked all the way through ........ I have to pick up my bags in Taipei and go through immigration and customs before getting on the CP flight to Cebu ........ at least this is what she told me ........ and the baggage weight is indeed 50# ....... however she said I could pay the $50 per bag over charge ....... and this because the bags won't go to the Phils ..... so I am technically flying from Orlando to Taipei and then on to Cebu .............

I'll bet if I call and ask again I will get a different answer .........

DO ANY OF THESE CLOWNS KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON???????????

Tom or anyone else .... did you have to go through immigration and customs before getting to Cebu besides in Manila

I also added this post to the Baggage thread as it is related ..... kinda ...... :o:D

Edited by Mike S

tom_shor
Well you guys were right .... just called United Airlines AGAIN............ totally different answer ........ United has no baggage agreement with CP so there for will not be checked all the way through ........ I have to pick up my bags in Taipei and go through immigration and customs before getting on the CP flight to Cebu ........ at least this is what she told me ........ and the baggage weight is indeed 50# ....... however she said I could pay the $50 per bag over charge ....... and this because the bags won't go to the Phils ..... so I am technically flying from Orlando to Taipei and then on to Cebu .............

I'll bet if I call and ask again I will get a different answer .........

DO ANY OF THESE CLOWNS KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON???????????

Tom or anyone else .... did you have to go through immigration and customs before getting to Cebu besides in Manila

I also added this post to the Baggage thread as it is related ..... kinda ...... :o:D

No but my bags were checked through.

I don't know if you can get your luggage to check it back in without going out through immigration. I am not familiar with the Taipei Airport layout.

That is why I decided not to chance it and just packed 50#. For $100 you can ship another Balikbayan box with a lot more than 40# of stuff in it.

What is the baggage limit on Cebu Pacific? I think Bob said their overage charge is not expensive.

Also if you didn't know already keep some small bills 5's and 10's. If you buy food or small items in most international termanals they will accept dollars but your change will be in the local currency. You don't want to wind up with $80 in other currency that you will have to convert again.

Mike S

Well right about now I'm just a little pis*ed off ....... just got off the phone with China Airlines and they did confirm I will have to collect my baggage..... go through immigration and customs and then back through security again before boarding CP ........ they also informed me that I better have my on going ticket with me or I would need to buy another one ........ what a bunch of crap

Should have flown into Manila and got the immigration and custom stuff out of the way first ......... was also told that I would only be allowed 41 Kilo's for baggage on CP .............. and she also told me I would have to hurry as I only have 2hr 40min between flights ........

What the hell else can go wrong??????? ........................ anyway let this be a lesson to others that follow ......

Edited by Mike S

Bob Ward

I'll take it easy since you are already pi$$ed off. LOL

CP being a budget airline, has very few inter-airline agreements it seems. Plus they have very different luggage restrictions so they want to get their money from any angle they can. CP will just weigh your baggage and charge you a fee for the excess. On domestic flights it's quite cheap. I paid P250 I think for quite a bit over weight. But international I'm not sure.

That does suck that they won't at least recognize that you are ending in the Phils even if they have no agreement with CP. It does not mean they don't exist or that you don't have a ticket.

OK, I can pi$$ you off now. :( I bet that flight I suggested on Cathay Pacific through HKK for $76 more is looking pretty good at this point. Sorry dude, I could not help myself.