Sign in to follow this  
roadrunner1

How do you cancel your Medicare here in the Philippines.

roadrunner1

I intend to stay here with my filippino wife and I found out I can't use my Medicare I live on Cebu How can I have them stoping takeing out medicare payments from my SS

Thanks

KennyF

It might help if you indicate your nationality.

KinPP

cebubird

Call Social Security-tell them you want to cancel and they will send you a form to sign and send back.

Probably if you are already living here, you can contact Manila office.

I did it several months before we moved here so they alreay had the form back and medicare was dropped by the time I got first check here.

RandyOdom

Just a word of caution, if you do decide to go back to the states and pick up your Medicare coverage, they will charge you for all the months you didn't have a deduction.

• Like 1

For Real

The easiest way to cancel medicare is to die

• Like 2

SkyMan

It might help if you indicate your nationality.

KinPP

You mean more than one country is stuck with medicare?
  • Like 4

dc3driver

LOL

For Real

Medicare whilst being a cost to the taxpayers, It was a licence to print money for the medical health professionals...and it was free to all citizens

Brucewayne

Go to the Consolate's office (I think SS is there on the third Thursday thru Saturday from 9-11)

If you are out of country, you have to show up in person, but I am sure you can find the office, it is in the lower section of the Waterfront Hotel, just as you pull in.

There is a section (forum here) just for Consulate news, you may look or post there to verify the dates SS will be there.

Edited by Brucewayne

dennis1105

Just a word of caution, if you do decide to go back to the states and pick up your Medicare coverage, they will charge you for all the months you didn't have a deduction.

That's simply not true. If you cancel Medcare part B, you are still enrolled for Medicare part A which is hospitalization. If you go back to the US and want to sign up for Medicare part B again, you will pay a percentage penalty each month on your part B premium. I think it's 10% added to premium for each year you were not enrolled. You do not have to pay back for each month you didn't have a deduction.

RandyOdom

That's simply not true. If you cancel Medcare part B, you are still enrolled for Medicare part A which is hospitalization. If you go back to the US and want to sign up for Medicare part B again, you will pay a percentage penalty each month on your part B premium. I think it's 10% added to premium for each year you were not enrolled. You do not have to pay back for each month you didn't have a deduction.

I stand corrected.

SkyMan

So if you don't pay for 10 years then you have double premiums? And does that penalty go away after 10 years when you have essentially paid up or does it continue?

cebubird

That's right-glad I read your post-saved me from saying exactly what you said.

• Like 1

Headshot

While you can get back on Medicare Part B, If you are on Tricare (military retirees), and decide to decline Medicare Part B, it is my understanding that Tricare will drop you PERMANENTLY (even if you later change your mind on Medicare Part B and go back to it). Of course, thatonly applies if you are over 65. That is my understanding, but if anyone understands it differently, and has a reference, I would love to hear it.

While Tricare is pretty tough on us here in the Philippines right now, who knows what the future will hold or whether or not we will live here permanently. For my parents (living in the US), Tricare plus Medicare covered everything. Even though my mother had some major medical expenses in the years before she died, they never had to pay anything. For military retirees, that is definitely something to think about.

tonny

What ever you do keep a recite of all correspondence as drop my part B in 94 send them a letter return recite requested and they send me back some bull sh-t form saying VA would not take care of me if i did not have part B . they took it out for they next 12 yrs . I use it several times haaaaa ,then the yr I turn 65 i had a lawyer in Montana write them a nice letter asking for my money they had taken out of me for all those yrs (50$ for him) They send me 4,000 + back how crazy . That why always keep the letter and return recite haaaaaaaaa Now if you only say 45 and on disability u can stop part B and then at 65 you get a free shot to sign back up then good loophole (no 10%)

Edited by tonny