Need small business ideas for a Filipino

happyvalleyjoe

happyvalleyjoe

Lvs2play and Daisy,

Interesting discussion on markup, thanks. I have no idea myself, but I will post some numbers once they get their sari-sari going.

Cebuned,

Good thought on gamebird food. But if you look under PILLITS on the list I posted, I believe there are 5 gamebird foods. My gf’s dad is a bulang aficionado!

(I'm sad to say I've visited Filipino households where the rice jar is empty but the scramble bucket is brimming. It doesn’t seem to be the case at my gf’s family’s house, but some fighting cocks eat better than the children under the same roof.)

We’re planning to go to Carcar tomorrow to deliver the construction funds, so this project will probably start soon.

Edited by happyvalleyjoe
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• happyvalleyjoe

• twostrokes

• mattwilkie

• Tatoosh

Lvs2play and Daisy,

Interesting discussion on markup, thanks. I have no idea myself, but I will post some numbers once they get their sari-sari going.

Cebuned,

Good thought on gamebird food. But if you look under PILLITS on the list I posted, I believe there are 5 gamebird foods. My gf

happyvalleyjoe

Yesterday we went to Carcar and delivered construction funds for the sari-sari store to the folks:

P15,345 Materials

P1500 Carpenter, 1 week

P655 Lipat bahay (transport of materials)

P17,500 Total

It was a funny scene: I handed over the money to mom and had her count the bills to confirm the total. No sooner did she finish than her and hubby started getting ready to go to the store to buy the materials. This was 6:30pm. I suggested that it would be better to wait for daylight so they could inspect the materials, esp. picking out clear, straight coco lumber. OH NO

Paul
Anyway, we are now in the construction phase of the project, so no more need for further Business Ideas. To summarize, here are the ideas offered in this thread to date (and by the way, thanks to all for the suggestions):

Jeepney

Trike

Sari-sari

Baking bread

FOOD / carenderia

BBQ

Soap-making

Sukang Pinakurat : Tuba vinegar

Bed-spacer

Move goods to the city and sell at a higher price.

I would like to progress the discussion to the next topic:

Best Business Practices for a sari-sari store.

I can see there

twostrokes
Yesterday we went to Carcar and delivered construction funds for the sari-sari store to the folks:

P15,345 Materials

P1500 Carpenter, 1 week

P655 Lipat bahay (transport of materials)

P17,500 Total

It was a funny scene: I handed over the money to mom and had her count the bills to confirm the total. No sooner did she finish than her and hubby started getting ready to go to the store to buy the materials. This was 6:30pm. I suggested that it would be better to wait for daylight so they could inspect the materials, esp. picking out clear, straight coco lumber. OH NO

JohninCebu

Very wise advise from twostrokes. I would add do NOT put all the capital into stock and leave no working capital - the main reason businesses fail anywhere but especially in PI. Why invest the remaining 22k totally in products that no one knows will sell and at what rate.

Buy 50% of what's in the list, or less and see what happens. Who needs all that conditioner on the shelves? If they are sourcing in Carcar restock wont be that expensive or time wasting.

At the end of each week analysis what has sold and what has not. Maintain stock as it goes and maintain the remaining capital in the bank to allow increases in stock as demand dictates and extend the range. Have a book to note what people ask for and you dont have - tell them you'll get it tomorrow and do so.

An old pc can be bought for about 2000 and could one of the juniors have the task of doing the analysis? I'll teach them excel - I have the windows disk.

So, if they take 1000ps a day(this will be the case whether 10000 or 20000 of stock), say @ 20% they make 200 profit. The 800 should be banked as twostrokes says and they live on 200. If they take from the shop they pay for it out of the 200. If they dont have this attitude, just give them the money to have a good time for a week or two! If they say they can't get the discount with that amount of stock, negotiate, negotiate.

Then, by extending range they can increase sales and when the news get around it should increase further if they work hard and in that way find a niche in a busy marketplace. If they show willing they will draw custom from other sari saris.

If I'd have been able to read this thread sooner (fecking PDLT) I'd have suggested not investing nealry 50% of the assets in extending the home as I cant recall a discussion on location. It may be easy to live over the shop but that assumes there are not many others nearby, there are plenty of locals and passing trade. The market could have been a better idea - harder work but the opportunity of finding a niche with lots of customers about and learn from other traders, both what to sell and where to buy. Hey ho.

Edited by johnrainey
happyvalleyjoe

twostrokes,

Thanks for your proposed system for

happyvalleyjoe

SARISARI CONSTRUCTION

I went to Carcar today to watch the sari-sari being built. It

mattwilkie
SARISARI CONSTRUCTION

I went to Carcar today to watch the sari-sari being built. It

Bet_Busta

Practically, there is no lottery because when the currrent owner wants to give up, he SELLS his rights

to the highest bidder. The record will shoe he still owns it but the persons occupying the stall are

already other persons.

• Admin (Retired)
Aerosick
Practically, there is no lottery because when the currrent owner wants to give up, he SELLS his rights

to the highest bidder. The record will shoe he still owns it but the persons occupying the stall are

already other persons.

My mother-in-law rents and/or leases 3 stalls in the Carcar Market. Last year she had to pay a fine for not paying her dues on time. We had to plead her case with the Mayor (a good friend) to keep her from getting evicted.

Billy

Some great stuff here again. The whole non-existent lottery thing for a stall. Gotta love it! Ok, I need to restart this thread since I have been talking to my Very SO about a potential business for her family. She wants a Jeepney or at least a multi-cab. I was voting for a trike, since they are a bit cheaper. She thinks trikes are not so popular or a good investment on Bantayan Island. She feels a multi-cab is close in cost to a trike and will provide a better income. I am at least somewhat doubtful about the similarity of cost and whether the income will be greater once you factor in maintenance.

I am also considering a different tact. A nice 32 inch LCD tv can be had for around 40k and it comes with a dvd player and surround sound. I just got a Playstation 3 and they can have up to 4 players at one time. Cost was around 20k pesos. I am pretty sure that out on Bantayan Island, there are no high-def HDMI game shops. The nice thing about this is it does not require internet if you pick the right games. You get a nice 1 on 1 boxing or wrestling game, a multiplayer race game or basketball game and you can have up to four real-time players. No sweating a good internet connection. With the higher graphics available from a LCD tv and upscale game machine like a PS3, renting time out shouldn't be much of a problem. Just a matter of figuring what the market will bear and then making it affordable for 2 or 4 players to go together to rent time on the machine.

Now do you think it is alright to split the take off the machine with the family or is this being really kuripot and selfish on my part? It is, I suppose, not a large investment compared to what other Kano's do for their SO's families. But setting up a sari sari store, most guys don't ask for a return. Still I have heard where companies come in and park coin operated games at a sari sari and then split the take 90-10. Guess who gets 90, the game provider, not the sari sari store owner. So I was thinking maybe a 50-50 split. But then maybe I am sort of robbing those that need it? I would really like to hear both foreigner and Filipino views on this one.

Edited by Tatoosh
:D Sorry, but I really want some feedback on this one.
Paul

How difficult is it to replace parts on this game thing? Sorry, I'm definitely no gamer, of any kind.

Bob Ward
:D Sorry, but I really want some feedback on this one.

No!