• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• happyvalleyjoe

• twostrokes

• mattwilkie

• Tatoosh

mattwilkie

One business that could work is a bed spacer depending where they are located

Oh , sxxx... i am in the dog house now . And here i was thinking this was one of my tamer posts.. :D

Arf Arf! We've all been there!

Hey Paul, what's the forum rule regarding a marital tussle? LOL Just teasing you two. See you soon!

I will have to do the pulled pork before you get here because it takes 9-10 hours on the grill. Ribs take 1.5 - 3 hours depending on if I parboil them or not.

Geez , Bob , i wouldn't expect my mother to cook for 9-10 hrs.. In the end it really doesn't matter just as long as it says " BBQ - USA ) to my stomach ...

I am dying to know what a bed spacer is. Help?!?

Hint : it ain't the flat boards that are used to support the box springs :huh: Think it just means a " boarder " ... IE - you come visit cdo & stay over with us .. you are a bed-spacer.. except we don't charge for the bed space .. :D

twostrokes
Evidently you have not spent much time in the Phils. The pork is tough most of the time.

Even in the US, there are very credible and delicious recipes that include parboiling certain pork or beef. I am not a huge fan of this method, but sometimes necessity is the mother of invention.

Every restaurant in town that the the expats frequent for ribs, parboils them.

But as I said, I am not a fan of this method. There are ways to make even the toughest ribs fall off the bone without parboiling. But at times I get lazy! It's the Phils and you are supposed to relax!

LOL

Wait till you get an eye on the charcoal/wood here! This aint Kansas!

Actually I have spent quite a bit of time in the PI, (nearly 15 yrs), and I know about the pork, was just pulling

your chain.

And Yea, I know about the so called charcoal too.....have been wondering how much of that stuff and misquite chips, I should load in the container when I pack up to head over that way. At what point does it become too expensive for worth.

jim

Happy, I don't know your family here, but my view is that Filipinos are great at surviving, but not so great at business. Anything that requires reinvestment of income likely will be hit and miss, with the families immediate needs taking precedence. And the kids have been known to wipe out a sari sari stores stock of chocolate, candy and soda without a moment's hesitation.

Perhaps your family will be more astute in their business dealings, limiting personal consumption of stock, restocking the shelves, and only diverting profit, not capital. I would not hold my breath on that one though. But some do become good business men or women. So it is not impossible. I still think the carenderia would be my first choice and baking a good second, though production of nice cakes and decorating takes a bit of training.

twostrokes
Happy, I don't know your family here, but my view is that Filipinos are great at surviving, but not so great at business. Anything that requires reinvestment of income likely will be hit and miss, with the families immediate needs taking precedence. And the kids have been known to wipe out a sari sari stores stock of chocolate, candy and soda without a moment's hesitation.

Perhaps your family will be more astute in their business dealings, limiting personal consumption of stock, restocking the shelves, and only diverting profit, not capital. I would not hold my breath on that one though. But some do become good business men or women. So it is not impossible. I still think the carenderia would be my first choice and baking a good second, though production of nice cakes and decorating takes a bit of training.

I agree. I have purchased complete stock for sari-sari store for my inlaws on three different occassions only to have it completely depleted within a year.

It seems the number of emergencies that happen each year is directly related to how many peso's are available or can be had from the outlandish stories dreamed up.

Jim

mattwilkie

Agree also but not because of Sari-Sari experiences but I drop a lot of ideas that people say "great idea" but no-one does anything about them. Your in my next town Happy.. let me know what they decide on. Ive been into carcar before and i know theyre food stalls are cheap.. maybe a deal could be struck to move goods to the city and sell at a higher price. If they move into any food business let me know as I will be nearby within the next 6 months with a food lead business and willing to drop some assistance with contacts that I have via my wifes family. Also the ability to Co-op buy. As we already have Sari-Sari and looking at opening another one and improving the one we have. Also if they go Sari Sari adding an X-box converted into a games machine would be a seller..and maybe internet access as Carcar doesnt seem as developed as Minglanilla yet. I dont know your inlaws so I dont know the way they work. But generally I find most things you have to do yourself and then with a bit of luck they get the idea and run it well..

Edited by mattwilkie

Matt, I gotta run down to BOI today, so I won't be back until this evening. But I'd love to hear about the XBox converted to game machine for a sari sari store. I thought XBox was a game machine to start with. What sort of conversion takes place? Are they charged by time or game or ??? Sounds sort of interesting.

mattwilkie
Matt, I gotta run down to BOI today, so I won't be back until this evening. But I'd love to hear about the XBox converted to game machine for a sari sari store. I thought XBox was a game machine to start with. What sort of conversion takes place? Are they charged by time or game or ??? Sounds sort of interesting.

Basically its converted to your standard 80s boxed machine with a TV angled within. The unit is converted to instead of a DVD game to a hard drive.. i cant remember right but I think the Xbox maxs out at 120gb but basically the drive can be filled with games and the machine is set on a timer, around 15min intervals.

Its something I can do, but there are companies that do it already in RP.

• 2 weeks later...