Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Pump Boat Rebuild part III

Bill H

Even though I have not been posting pictures, we've been busy. The rebuild has come along nicely. After turning her upside down, we completed the hull, applied several coats of epoxy primer and topcoat and finally epoxy anti-fouling bottom paint to try to keep the critters from eating away the hull. With all the painting now finished this is how the Rudelie I looked.

post-8579-0-21162800-1344337769_thumb.jpg

And how she looked next to the Rudelie II.

post-8579-0-62003500-1344338096_thumb.jpg

Now it is time to roll the boat back into the upright position. She's a lot heavier now since we've added a lot more structure to raise the free board and added more decking as well. Due to her additional weight, we opted to use blocks and tackles for the job. It actually went much faster and with far fewer problems than I expected, so I didn't get many pictures of the beginning. Here she is just prior to stopping the roll over.

post-8579-0-78069900-1344337806_thumb.jpg

Then we had to stop in order to readjust the lines and blocks.

post-8579-0-68204800-1344337847_thumb.jpg

Once she was upright again, we lowered her down on the transport wheels we'd build. This so we could wheel her out into the street and turn her around. She'd been positioned with the stern facing out, now due to the next phase of the rebuild, we needed to have the stern facing in and the bow out, hence the need to mount her on wheels to make it possible to roll her around and swap ends.

post-8579-0-20485100-1344337885_thumb.jpg

This is how she looked as we did the old switch-a-roo.

post-8579-0-25443800-1344337929_thumb.jpg

Now that she's pointed in the right direction, we could move her back through the gate and maneuver her into her final position for the remainder of the rebuild. The end swap was necessary because we plan on adding a pilot house to the bow. There was not enough vertical clearance to do this with the bow under the car port, but with the bow out by the gate, there is. We ended up needing to put her very close to the almost finished Rudelie II. She's so long her bow now hangs out 18" over the gate.

post-8579-0-19474700-1344337954_thumb.jpg

Once she was in position, we then had to level her and get her ready for the final work to begin.

post-8579-0-91498000-1344337993_thumb.jpg

The first order of business was to begin adding splash rails, to keep as much unwanted water out of the inside of the boat as we can.

post-8579-0-44197300-1344338019_thumb.jpg

Even though it's a tight fit, we have enough vertical room to get the pilot house installed now. Once that is finished, we'll add more decking, a large fuel tank, new motor, wheel steering and maybe even some basic electronics.

post-8579-0-80380500-1344338058_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

livinglife007

I dropped by Bills place, what a fantastic job he's doing. This is a winwin project . ! Bill is following his passion building boats and 2. the training he gives his men high standards second to none...He truly is BILL THE BOAT GUY.

• Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

I'm planning to build a customized giant aquarium using epoxy primer for plywood, can it hold water? How much for a gallon?

• Like 1

Bill H

I'm planning to build a customized giant aquarium using epoxy primer for plywood, can it hold water? How much for a gallon?

Sure, once the epoxy is cured the plywood would hold water, but it's kinda hard to see through! LOL You didn't say if this aquarium is for fresh or salt water. Salt water weighs about 64.1 pounds per cubic foot. Fresh water weighs about 62 pounds. So depending on how large your aquarium is, it could weigh quite a bit and you'll need to plan for that weight, not only for the structure of the aquarium but the stand it rests on and the floor that supports the stand. You sometimes see Lexan (acrylic) sheets used for aquariums, but while it's strong, it also scratches very easily and clouds up when exposed to UV light. For that reason, I think laminated glass is the better choice.

The seams is where leakage is most likely to happen, so you have to be very careful everything is well supported and only high quality materials are used.

Laminating epoxies come in a wide variety of types and viscosities. Which of course affects the price. Figure a little over 2,000p per gallon up to approaching 3,000p per gallon. It is crucial you mix the two parts correctly. It can be tricky because some brands want you to measure by volume and others by weight. It keeps you on your toes in any case! PM or email me and I'll give you better advice once I have a better idea what you're planning.

A word of caution. Don't use "marine" plywood from the local lumber yard, it's near worthless. It failed my boil test in less than 3 hours. Stick with TuffPly which is only available at Vic's in Mandaue. It's more expensive, but a very high quality product, certainly the best I've seen the the PH's.

Regards,

Bill

Bill H

I dropped by Bills place, what a fantastic job he's doing. This is a winwin project . ! Bill is following his passion building boats and 2. the training he gives his men high standards second to none...He truly is BILL THE BOAT GUY.

Shucks Paul, you embarrass me! :blush: I'll pass your comments on to the boys, they are the ones who deserve them.

Thanks and come by any time.

Bill

Cuda

I would want to be there when you try to fill it up. LOL

Seriously now, don't do it.

Bill H

I don't agree. I think it would be a fun project, I just don't think plywood is the best material to build it out of, but then I don't know what the specifics of his plans are, so maybe it is.

Bill

Alfred E. Neuman

You should look it up in Youtube, they're amazing! Just one large glass for the front then plywood for all the rest.

Bill H

You should look it up in Youtube, they're amazing! Just one large glass for the front then plywood for all the rest.

Got a link to that?

Cuda

Look very, very carefully how it's done. Plywood has a tendency to give and balloon .

Alfred E. Neuman

Got a link to that?

• Like 1

Bill H

Of course the engineer in me would have liked to see a lot more construction details and a lot fewer views of fish swimming, but it looks like they did a good job. The ballooning problem mentioned earlier is associated with a lack of structural support to take the load. You can see in the video, they planned for that and seem to have pretty good structural members to handle the loads. I would have liked to see more details on how they attached the frame to the front of the box and how they secured the glass, but doing those things is not rocket science. Mostly boat building in reverse. That is to say, the goal is to keep the water in the tank rather than out in a boat.

A doable project for sure.

Bill

Cannonball

Hello Bill,

Well this is my third attempt at posting here, (obviously I'm not applying the2 % rule) I am the new guy to the forum and live in Cebu, My name is Braun Reinhold and when I figure outhow toget tomy profile page I will fix the typo in my last name. I'm currently having a 30.15 meter Banka / Pump Boat built, by local standards it's a great boat but the builder hasn't followed my instructions as I would have liked. So ifI expect this boat to last beyong thefive year life expectancy of the local boats, I will have to haul this behomothout anually and repaint. On the first haul out I'm considering adding three layers of 1/8/ to 1/4 inch 8 inch wide strips using the cold mold process. I plan to sand the hull back to bare wood and let it dry for a couple of months, I will put a space heater in teh hull and run it 24/7 until Ithink the wood has dried. I can use the time to cut, fit, and number my strips that will get encapsulated with epoxy then putup and secured wet (each layer). I know this will add weight to the boat but it will be close to bullet proof for a wood hull. I'm using a 20 liter V-8 so I don't think the added weight will be that big an issue, I'm going to attempt to add a few pictures (again). I thank you for listning and I would like to meet you in person one day (when I'm home) and pick yourbrain if you're willing..

Respectfully,

Braun.

P.S. I haven't been able to figure out how to post any pictures from my hard drive. I will just post this as is and and see if I can load them into the media library. thank's again, Braun.

Headshot

Braun, welcome to LinC Forums. It normally takes 50 posts before you can edit your profile. If you decide to become a sponsor (subscription), you can get full access and upload pictures immediately. Otherwise, just post away and you can get there pretty quickly. I thought I could fix your name for you, but apparently only the admins can do that. As soon as one of this sees this, they will probably take care of it. The thing about your posts not showing up is that new members are on moderation for their first five posts. The post doesn't show up until a moderator or administrator approves it. It's how we try to keep the spamming to a minimum. Beyond the first five posts, we will still delete any spam and ban the member, but at least you can see your post immediately. So...just post and it will be OK. Good first post by the way.

Cannonball

Thank you Headshot, for your reply and information I really appreciate it. When I get back home in December I will have my wife write a check or come find an administrator and just pay them cash, (I don't use Credit cards). I live in Minglanilla so I'm not far from Cebu Proper, I work abroad as a contractor and get home twice a year. I hope to retire sometime next year after this boat is operational, then I can devote my time to my passion, 1 Wife, 5 Kids, and my unlimited Projects.

Thank you again.

Respectfully,

Braun.