"Cyberbullies"- the new Antisocial trend in the 21st Century - from the BBC

Stranded Shipscook

Stranded Shipscook

A new antisocial breed of people (and children) in the 21st Century, looking away won't make it go away. Also Inform and talk with your Kids about the Problem.

Interesting web discussion, although this was on the Radio:

--

The signs

Bullying takes many forms, like name-calling, hitting, spreading rumours, stealing, excluding people and turning someone's friends against them. You can also be bullied via abusive text messages or online.

It's not you, it's them

Although it's hard to feel sorry for bullies, it might help to understand that happy people don't need to make others feel unhappy or small. It's the bullies who have a problem, not the people they target.

What to do

• Speak out. You have the right to live without being tormented. Keep a diary of what happens. It'll help you decide what to do. It should also stop you missing out anything important and help show you're telling the truth.
  • If you're being bullied through texts or phone calls, save messages and call records if you have space in your phone. If not, write down the time of the call/text, what was said/written and the caller/sender's number if you have it. And don't reply to any texts ? it's just what the bully wants.
  • If you're being bullied in a chatroom, don't respond to nasty comments. Name and shame the bully: make it clear to everyone in the room who is bullying you so other users can support you. Good chatrooms are moderated, so email the moderators/hosts and complain, using examples from the chat.

Who should I tell?

As many people as you can. Sometimes just having things out in the open can be enough to make bullies stop. If it's at school, any of your teachers should be able to help (your school should have an anti-bullying policy). If you can't tell your teachers, ask a parent or another adult to speak to them for you. If you don't trust any adult enough, the websites and helplines below may help.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/advice/factfile_az/bullying_are_you_being_bullied

• Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

there was a kid that tried to bully my boy once.. i taught my son how to throw a punch

told him if it kept happening to punch him in the nose

it did and he did

no further problem

as far as verbal stuff.. growing up in brooklyn the favorite local past time was ranking on each other and busting each others balls.. my son knows that we make fun of each other all the time and just like back in the day in the neighborhood.. thick skin makes people closer

my kid knows i always have his back against anything.. but he also knows he'll get it from the old man if he were to ever treat someone the way a bully does

• Like 6
Stranded Shipscook

there was a kid that tried to bully my boy once.. i taught my son how to throw a punch

told him if it kept happening to punch him in the nose

it did and he did

no further problem

as far as verbal stuff.. growing up in brooklyn the favorite local past time was ranking on each other and busting each others balls.. my son knows that we make fun of each other all the time and just like back in the day in the neighborhood.. thick skin makes people closer

my kid knows i always have his back against anything.. but he also knows he'll get it from the old man if he were to ever treat someone the way a bully does

Yep, that was the old days. Kids either defended themselves against the bullies or parents went to the Teachers/Principals.

Difference in our days now is, that it doesn't require "physical strength" anymore to be a Cyberbully, now the "nerdiest" or weakest can now attack people from a safe distance, even and often anonymous.

• Like 2
Davaoeno
it doesn't require "physical strength" anymore to be a Cyberbully, now the "nerdiest" or weakest can now attack people from a safe distance, even and often anonymous

in a way its sort of Karmic !! In the old days you had to just take it when they " kicked sand in your face" . I think Joe Weider got rich selling programs for weak guys to be able to defend themselves against the bullies.

While the pen might not necessarily have been mightier than the sword the keyboard certainly can be at times

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Yep, that was the old days. Kids either defended themselves against the bullies or parents went to the Teachers/Principals.

Difference in our days now is, that it doesn't require "physical strength" anymore to be a Cyberbully, now the "nerdiest" or weakest can now attack people from a safe distance, even and often anonymous.

yeah i know..my kiddo is learning the same thing i learned as a kid

don't let anyone dig their claws in

kids can be mean anyway .. even when they are friends.

so though he is not allowed to say it my son surely knows how to express that .. eh feck em mentality

but he also knows how to get along with everyone , even when he meets a bunch of new kids he always ends up right in the middle of the action right away

and aside from that ..we brooklyn boys well we have our ways

• Like 2
CebuKano

Yes, it's amazing how "brave" they get when they aren't eye to eye with their intended victims. And the sad part is a lot of the cyberbullies are adults.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

i gotta admit though when you see some dumb kid on the news committing suicide cause of something like this.. well it's a damn shame

and i think part of that is kids more and more now days aren't taught aren't prepared for the real world they are getting very very thin skinned

always taught everyone is a winner and always taught to fear offense and that they have some natural right to never be offended

i got a call from school last year my kid was in first grade and in the playground while all the kids are fooling around he told some other 1st grade kid, a girl, she had to shave her legs, when i went to pick him up he was crying thinking he was in trouble with me.. i told him don't worry about it

one of his buddies had his Dad get called in to school cause he saw a little kindergarten girl fall down in the hall helped her up and gave her a sympathetic hug .. he got in trouble for that to the point they sent him to the princiople's office and told his Dad he needed to show up right then

man his Dad was hot when he got the story.. i would of been too

• Like 2
InternetTough

Cyber bullying is similar to the old kids pastime of shouting insults at people from a moving car window. Fathers usually stop it because they know that sometimes car windows stop moving unexpectedly. By the same token, I have a fantasy that one day, there will be a massive exposure of all the pseudonyms used on the Internet and there will be a lot of red faces around.

• Like 1
Davaoeno
Yes, it's amazing how "brave" they get when they aren't eye to eye with their intended victims

Well I have a problem with that also. All this " i dare you to say that to my face" kind of macho neanderthal bullshit. To me it always reeks of someone who watched too many john Wayne or Rambo movies. What the hell has being physically able to hurt someone else got to do with being a man ? or being strong? or having self confidence? or being brave?

It always amuses me when guys start bragging about how they are such real men because they were in the Marines . Real men dont need to be able to punch other people's teeth out to show that they are real men .

A lot of "real men" have discovered the hard way that being tough doesnt stop you from dying when someone puts a bullet in your head.

I have more respect for the kid who hugged the little girl who was hurt than i do for the kid who punches someone else in the face.

Both my kids started training in tae kwon do at age 6 and 8 and did it for 5 years until they both got black belts. And that was hard style - not this pretend to hit bullshit. Neither of them has ever been in a fight- but I made sure that if unable to avoid a fight they could certainly defend themselves.

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 4
RandyOdom

My oldest step son was having a problem with a bully on his bus. The kid was much bigger than him and would beat on him to and from school. I took a day off work and went to see the principal and his teacher with my wife. They said they had talked to the kid and his parents and that there wasn't anything else they could do. I said, you can't put him on another bus? They said no. I said ok, well let me tell you this, if that kid lays another hand on my son, I will sue this school, and then I will sue you (I pointed at the principal) and you (I pointed at his teacher). Then got up and walked out. They transferred the bully to another bus and we never had another problem.

• Like 5
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

Well I have a problem with that also. All this " i dare you to say that to my face" kind of macho neanderthal bullshit. To me it always reeks of someone who watched too many john Wayne or Rambo movies. What the hell has being physically able to hurt someone else got to do with being a man ? or being strong? or having self confidence? or being brave?

It always amuses me when guys start bragging about how they are such real men because they were in the Marines . Real men dont need to be able to punch other people's teeth out to show that they are real men .

A lot of "real men" have discovered the hard way that being tough doesnt stop you from dying when someone puts a bullet in your head.

I have more respect for the kid who hugged the little girl who was hurt than i do for the kid who punches someone else in the face.

Both my kids started training in tae kwon do at age 6 and 8 and did it for 5 years until they both got black belts. And that was hard style - not this pretend to hit bullshit. Neither of them has ever been in a fight- but I made sure that if unable to avoid a fight they could certainly defend themselves.

i grew up fighting. in the street and in the ring.

fighting in and of itself doesn't make you a man

sacrificing for the sake of others makes you a man

sometimes that's fighting sometimes it's not fighting

it can be a million different things

• Like 2
Davaoeno

My oldest step son was having a problem with a bully on his bus. The kid was much bigger than him and would beat on him to and from school. I took a day off work and went to see the principal and his teacher with my wife. They said they had talked to the kid and his parents and that there wasn't anything else they could do. I said, you can't put him on another bus? They said no. I said ok, well let me tell you this, if that kid lays another hand on my son, I will sue this school, and then I will sue you (I pointed at the principal) and you (I pointed at his teacher). Then got up and walked out. They transferred the bully to another bus and we never had another problem.

To me this is how a "man" solves a problem, and sets a good example for his son to learn from about how to solve problems. i do appreciate that there are times when words will not be enough, but those times are very few and far between if you show patience, self respect and intelligence.

• Like 1
HeyMike

There was a video on the site not too long ago where this skinny little kid was bullying this heavier kid; slapping him around. Then the bigger kid had enough and body slammed the bully. I thought that was one of the best and funniest videos on the site.

• Like 1
tobster

A new antisocial breed of people (and children) in the 21st Century,

Who should I tell?(MAYBE BRODEN)

As many people as you can(START A THREAD DOWNSTAIRS). Sometimes just having things out in the open can be enough to make bullies stop. If it's at school, any of your teachers should be able to help (your school should have an anti-bullying policy). If you can't tell your teachers, ask a parent or another adult(MAYBE A FORUM MEMBER) to speak to them for you. If you don't trust any adult enough, the websites and helplines below may help(MAYBE EVANS SITE).

http://www.bbc.co.uk...u_being_bullied

• Like 1
spooks

The problem with cyber idiots these days and it does not affect the majority of people here. Is that HR departments use the net and any and I do many any internet chatter is listened to and treated as real. Do not believe me there is a guy in Australia , known to some of us, who has jobs denied because of the Fool of Mouggin.

For me this is where the Cyber bullying is not 'freedom of speech' it is the denial by cowards of the human rights of others which are no less important than some fools personal view of their own self importance being omnipotent in the name of democracy.

Then again in a democratic environment with freedom of speech being guaranteed this is just MHO.

• Like 1