Sign in to follow this  
Mr.T

Visayan Languages

Mr.T

I'm making a new thread here about the local language of the Visayan region where most of us live in or visit.

There are many different variants of Visayan languages but the most widely understood and spoken dialect is Cebuano,

just so any of you might one day start learning the local language, I would suggest you learn the Cebuano dialect if you want to speak with people from all over the Visayas region.

Tagalog

Yes, it's the official language of the Philippines, yet it's not the language of choice in the Visayas for many people so it's better you learn Cebuano if you want to talk with the locals in the Visayas rather then expecting answers from everyone in Tagalog, as most of the time, even people from Luzon, they'll encounter alot of people who will just answer them in Visayan even though they started the conversation in Tagalog.

Edited by Mr.T

SkyMan
Tagalog Yes, it's the official language of the Philippines
Close, it's an official language of the Philippines as is English. And before someone argues that it's really English and Filipino, everyone knows Filipino is Tagalog.

In fact, English is actually more official as English is the language of the Philippine gov't and judicial systems.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Mr.T

Close, it's an official language of the Philippines as is English. And before someone argues that it's really English and Filipino, everyone knows Filipino is Tagalog.

In fact, English is actually more official as English is the language of the Philippine gov't and judicial systems.

Well, while I was travelling with my Tagalog friend in Cebu, she randomly talked Tagalog to most people and they almost never replied to her in Tagalog, usually in Cebuano, she started complaining to me about the situation, some people even nod their head saying "no" when she asked them to speak Tagalog. Not everyone, of course, but it happened more than once during a few hours in the city.

Edited by Mr.T

SkyMan

Exactly. Assuming you're American it's like this, Washington decides to make Spanish the official language of the US, even though there are more English speakers in the US, because there are more Spanish speakers in DC. Then they push Spanish in schools while not teaching English. They discourage any movies, music, or other media to be done in English, only Spanish. At every turn they attempt to squash the majority language, promoting only the minority language, the language of the capitol. So you come for a visit and pick up a Spanish speaking girl and bring her to say, Denver or Seattle or something and she tries to speak Spanish to the English speakers. It's not surprising she won't get very far.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Skywalker

Hang on, English is spoken by the English. The Americans speak a dialect of English, gosh they can't even spell properly.

/me runs

udonthani

less than half of Filipinos can speak Bisaya whereas almost all of them can speak Tagalog, it is the most important language in the Philippines and this reflected by responsible parents quite often insisting that Tagalog is spoken around the dinner table wherever they may live, as they know that the chances of at least some of the children having to make a living in the economic, business, and political powerhouse of the country, Metro Manila, is high.

Mr.T

less than half of Filipinos can speak Bisaya whereas almost all of them can speak Tagalog, it is the most important language in the Philippines and this reflected by responsible parents quite often insisting that Tagalog is spoken around the dinner table wherever they may live, as they know that the chances of at least some of the children having to make a living in the economic, business, and political powerhouse of the country, Metro Manila, is high.

All people in the Visayas can speak Cebuano

Edited by Mr.T

SkyMan

There is so much wrong with that I don't know where to begin. But just to clear up the worst part of it. English is hands down the most important language in the RP, particularly if you want a job.
  • Like 3

udonthani

Waray waray and Ilongo are different languages to Cebuano, related but not really mutually intelliglbe.

There is so much wrong with that I don't know where to begin. But just to clear up the worst part of it. English is hands down the most important language in the RP, particularly if you want a job.

imagine this scenario, and there millions like this, Cebuana gets educated, trains as a lawyer, qualifies and moves to the place where all the best jobs are in her field, Manila, where she lands a job at the DA's office. I guess you've heard that English is supposed to be the language used in the legal field, but it is definitely not the language spoken in the office. The people - who may have come from anywhere in the Philippines - speak Tagalog there, not English.

Mr.T

Waray waray and Ilongo are different languages to Cebuano, related but not really mutually intelliglbe.

It seems like you're not getting my point.

Everyone who speaks Waray Waray and Ilongo can speak Cebuano, but not everyone who speaks Cebuano can speak Waray Waray or Ilongo,

thus why it's better to learn the Cebuano language rather than any other Visayan dialect

Paul
I'm making a new thread here about the local language of the Visayan region where most of us live in or visit.

There are many different variants of Visayan languages but the most widely understood and spoken dialect is Cebuano,

just so any of you might one day start learning the local language, I would suggest you learn the Cebuano dialect if you want to speak with people from all over the Visayas region.

Cebuano is not a dialect of any language. It is one the eight languages of the Philippines. Bisaya, however, is a dialect of Cebuano. I just wanted to clear that up.

---------------------

For the record, whippy (udonthani) more people in the Philippines speak Cebuano, or a dialect there of, than they do the national language.

In fact, in many cases, if you ask a Cebuano, or other Bisaya speaking Filipino, which language they would rather speak if given a choice, it would be English, not the national language.

Edited by Paul

Mr.T

Cebuano is not a dialect of any language. It is one the eight languages of the Philippines. Bisaya, however, is a dialect of Cebuano. I just wanted to clear that up.

---------------------

For the record, whippy (udonthani) more people in the Philippines speak Cebuano, or a dialect there of, than they do the national language.

In fact, in many cases, if you ask a Cebuano, or other Bisaya speaking Filipino, which language they would rather speak if given a choice, it would be English, not the national language.

Exactly, udonthani pretends like all people in Cebu (or the whole Visayan region) will speak Tagalog when confronted by a Tagalog speaking person, in fact, many of them will be either shy or just reply in Cebuano, it can be quite frustrating for a Filipino who doesn't speak Cebuano and chooses to speak Tagalog rather than English

Edited by Mr.T

Paul

The Tagalogs should learn to speak Cebuano if they choose to live in, or stay in Visayas long term.

It gets under my skin when cities like Davao force business employees to speak Tagalog rather than Bisaya, which is much more commonly spoken there. They are trying to impress the Tagalogs, when the Tagalogs should learn more than one language.

Most Filipinos who live in the Visayas and Mindanao speak at least three languages, and often, more.

Dragon

---------------------

Utterly totally wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visayans

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Philippines

Paul

While I can be accused of using Wikipedia regarding topics, I assure you, it is wrong.

There are eight (8) major languages of the Philippines. Here they are, in no particular order:

Tagalog

Cebuano

Pampanggo

Naga

Ilocano

Waray

Ilonggo

Pangalatok

There are more than 150 variations (dialects) of those eight languages.

This is information I extensively researched in 2004 and 2005.

So, please tell Wikipedia to kiss my ass.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1