favorite Olympic moments

udonthani

• Admin (Retired)
broden

During one of the early--might have been the first--modern Olympics, this guy walked up, saw that there was a bike race. He saw a bike nearby, asked if he could borrow it, got on and won!

black-power-salute-ap6810160546-ga.jpg

he wasn't from my neighborhood or they never would of saw that bike again

• Like 1

My favorite.Billy Mills 1964 games in Tokyo, 10,000 m. Incredible sprint after 10K.

SkyMan

I have to give a plug for my former coach:

udonthani

this is one my dad told me about, going back even further in time, to '56 in Melbourne, 5000 meters, the Soviet runner Kuts pulled away early, and by the end, just led my miles. The second and third placed runners, were both Brits, and the UK cinema newsreel coverage (no television from Australia in those days) just pulled the camera back and commented about the race as if it was just between the two British runners, and Kuts, who was leading them both by miles, didn't exist. It wasn't just the Soviets that liked to airbrush history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESmSkhB3DI

rfm010

a favorite because it was kind of awesome as it happened. johnson just exploded. too bad it was tainted, but how else could a canadian hope to beat an american? :).

USMC-Retired

This was my favorite as I watch the 1980 Olympic team beat Soviet Union. Then to win gold they had to beat Finland.

pre-olympic_1980.jpg

Individual was Greg Louganis In both the 1984 and 1988 Olympics.

louganis-jpg_112426.jpg

Hype had to be the Zola Bud and Mary Decker accident on the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JziXi_NS3YY

Edited by USMC-Retired
udonthani

Hype had to be the Zola Bud and Mary Decker accident on the track.

that's right, it was an accident and if it was anybody's fault, it was Decker's. She whinged and whined about it, claimed she'd been tripped, and basically got Zola Budd disqualified (she got reinstated later).

it ruined, not Decker's career, but Zola Budd's. She never got over it. People forget that she'd totally smashed Decker's world record age 17, running barefoot Afrikaner style, only a few months before, by six seconds, but it never made it into the record books as it was in South Africa.

I've just heard a pin.... :lol:

udonthani

Stellenbosch, January, 1984. Very low key athletics meet and would have been a nice place to be, a real 'Chariots of Fire' moment. Where a little slip of an Afrikaner girl totally trashed the world record of the best runner of the biggest, brashest nation in the fecking world. It's not just Kenyans of the African runners, that can make the Yanks look clumsy.

Dave Wottle excepted.

ellenbrook2001

sure tikets in the VIP or 1 mile away common if you are not in the VIP you cannot see much only the noise i know i was in SYDNEY

udonthani

wonder what happened to Dave Wottle's golf cap. It's probably worth a lot of money.