Sign in to follow this  
seaman

Who cares what is good for population, just blind faith

InternetTough
Christian and Catholic aren't the same thing, at least not in the RP. seaman, on 29 July 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yes, the Catholic of the word "Christian" is far more ancient than the Protestant use of the word "Christian"---which actually isn't ancient but dates back to early modern times. For that matter, the Catholic use of the word "Catholic" is more than 1300 years older than the Protestant use of the word "Christian".

Edited by InternetTough

tobster

<<<<<<<look as a

catholic living here people are blind and the church blinds them to the true realities of life..............so wot ca

tobster

catholic living here people are blind and the church blinds them to the true realities of life..............so wot ca

tobster

fucsoùmetimes this website is too hard to post on

InternetTough
They are taught that whether or not they get pregnant is not for them to decide - it is God's decision to make.

What nonsense. No Catholic is obliged to get married. No Catholic is obliged to have children after getting married. What is forbidden is killing any child, no matter how young, and artificial birth control. Natural Family Planning is allowed.

It is possible to look up Natural Family Planning on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....t_contraception

As to the number of children:

The Catholic Church acknowledges a potential benefit of spacing children[43] and use of NFP for this reason is tolerated. Humanae Vitae cites "physical, economic, psychological and social conditions" as possibly compelling reasons to avoid pregnancy.[47] Couples are warned, however, against using NFP for selfish, immoral, or insincere reasons.[43] A few Catholic theologians argue that couples with several children may morally choose to avoid pregnancy, even if their circumstances (emotional, physical, and economic) would allow for more children.[48] More commonly, Catholic sources extol the benefits children bring to their parents, their siblings, and society in general, and encourage couples to have as many children as their circumstances make practical.[49][50][51][52] (From Wikipedia)

Humane Vitae is the most prestigious Catholic source mentioned in this paragraph, and it plainly states that economic conditions are "possibly compelling reasons to avoid pregnancy."

Edited by InternetTough

davidn

That is not the teaching of the Catholic Church. People are not obliged to "bang out as many babies as possible."

People can regulate the number of children they have, and can, using Natural Family Planning, which is safe and effective.

Parents should ask themselves how many children they can afford to raise before deciding to have children. That is a teaching of the Church, findable in the Universal Catechism of the Catholic Church. I don't want to go searching for it right now, however.

It is. Unfortunately though even NFP is not being taught and, if it was, is really ineffective in preventing unwanted pregnancies and not at all against STDs. Protecting against STDs ought not to be important when a loving relationship with your wife is all there is, but how true is that of most Filipino men and their partners, be they women or ladyboys. Whilst having a big family is not obligitory many Catholics believe it is their duty to do so. Not for nothing is the first question most ask here " how many kids do you have?" and then look very sorry for you when you tell them "none".

InternetTough

It is. Unfortunately though even NFP is not being taught and, if it was, is really ineffective in preventing unwanted pregnancies and not at all against STDs. Protecting against STDs ought not to be important when a loving relationship with your wife is all there is, but how true is that of most Filipino men and their partners, be they women or ladyboys. Whilst having a big family is not obligitory many Catholics believe it is their duty to do so. Not for nothing is the first question most ask here " how many kids do you have?" and then look very sorry for you when you tell them "none".

I have just quoted from a "neutral" website, Wikipedia, the Catholic Church's real position on having children in marriage, which has been misrepresented by several posters. I can't do any more.

tobster

money and power............ching...ching.............

jigsy

92 Million people now. Growth to 135 Million in 20 years time.

Can you imagine the place then?

Davaoeno
What nonsense. No Catholic is obliged to get married. No Catholic is obliged to have children after getting married. What is forbidden is killing any child, no matter how young, and artificial birth control. Natural Family Planning is allowed.

I never said that Catholics are obliged to get married - so your comment is irrelevant as far as calling my post nonsense. I never said that Catholics are obliged to have children after getting married - so again your comment is irrelevant.

I never mentioned killing any child at all - so again your comment irrelevant. Perhaps you should actually think about things that a person actually posted before you call it nonsense.

And btw - much of what you posted as Catholic doctrine is not what is espoused in the Philippines- so once again your link is irrelevant to the matter at hand.

mmmm maybe you are calling the wrong post nonsense ! Just a thought .

Edited by Davaoeno

Nangulo

"selfish, immoral, or insincere reasons"

Definition, please.

Davaoeno

"selfish, immoral, or insincere reasons"

Definition, please.

I thought about that when I read it and my guess is its whatever you need it to be at any particular time ! ie If you dont want to have to work 16 hours a day 7 days a week at 3 jobs to raise all of your 8 children- is that selfish of you ?

SkyMan
People can regulate the number of children they have, and can, using Natural Family Planning, which is safe and effective.
Yes, they tried to push that rubbish in the premarital sex ed class I took with my, now, wife. They spent about 30 seconds on BC that actually works and then 30 minutes on the rhythm method and some silly beads you were supposed to use to keep track of which days were ok and which weren't. Even the chart they had said something at the bottom about it being effective BC but there was an asterisk*, (*When followed correctly.) For one thing some of the girls here are so small they don't have regular periods so the beads are useless and for another, when he comes home drunk and wants some, he's not going to give a damn about any beads. The rhythm method is so effective here I bet more than half the kids you see are because of it. Of coruse, they'll never tell you those kids are unwanted, they just can't afford them.