Sign in to follow this  
seaman

Who cares what is good for population, just blind faith

seaman

In a country like Philippines where teenage pregnancies are rampant and “normal” family size is bordering on ridiculous, you would think that the Christian thing to do would be to educate the general population regarding reproductive health (RH). But Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines is opposing the RH bill and urging the population to take to the streets to protest. I truly don’t understand the logic of the Catholic Church opposing the RH bill. Someone (hopefully someone who is a devout Catholic) please explain what would be the benefit of keeping the general population uneducated about RH and deny them access to birth control information.

Here is the full article: http://ph.news.yahoo.com/philippine-bishops-urge-reproductive-health-bill-protest-streets-075005731.html

seaman

Nangulo

Don't forget, the church policy here in the Philippines is that condom use increases the risk of catching AIDS. This is how they do that:

Condoms promote promiscuity.

Condoms have a failure rate.

Promiscuity + failure rate = increased risk of catching AIDS.

• Like 1

AlooGobi
please explain what would be the benefit of keeping the general population uneducated about RH and deny them access to birth control information.

Is that a rhetorical question?

• Like 1

Davaoeno
you would think that the Christian thing to do would be to educate the general population regarding reproductive health (RH). But Catholic

But filipinos already are educated re reproductive health. They are taught that if they get pregnant it is God's will, and that it is their duty as Catholics to follow the guidelines set down by the Vatican . In fact they are taught that at from an early age . They are taught that whether or not they get pregnant is not for them to decide - it is God's decision to make.

Why would the Catholic Church want to support a bill that went against the teachings and guidelines of the church ?

Davaoeno

Pope signals shift away from Catholic church's prohibition of condoms

Pontiff reported to say in book-length interview that condoms could be justified 'in the intention of reducing the risk of infection'

• November 2010 19.00 GMT

Pope-Benedict-XVI-006.jpg

Pope Benedict XVI is reported to have said that the use of condoms could be justified in the case of male prostitutes seeking to prevent the spread of HIV. Photograph: Alberto Pizzoli/AFP/Getty Images

A landmark shift in the Catholic church's hardline position on the use of condoms is in the offing following reports Pope Benedict XVI has said in a new book that their use can be justified in some cases, such as for male prostitutes seeking to prevent the spread of HIV.

The pontiff makes the comments in a book-length interview with a German journalist, "Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times," which is due to be published on Tuesday.

Church teaching has long opposed condoms on the basis that they are a form of artificial contraception, while the Vatican has been harshly criticised for its position given the AIDS crisis.

Benedict says in the book that, for male prostitutes for whom contraception isn't a central issue, condoms are not a moral solution.

However, in comments that are likely to be be pored over in the coming days by Catholics around the world, as well as others, he also says that condoms could be justified "in the intention of reducing the risk of infection."

Benedict previously drew unprecedented criticism from European governments, international organisations and scientists in March 2009 when he told reporters while flying to Africa that condoms would not resolve the AIDS problem there but, on the contrary, increase it.

That statement was condemned by France, Germany and the UN agency charged with fighting AIDS as irresponsible and dangerous.

While opposition to condoms is a long-standing church position, the Vatican felt constrained to step in and say Benedict wanted to stress that a reliance on condoms distracted from the need for proper education in sexual conduct.

Austin Ivereigh, a British Catholic commentator and campaigner who is publicising the book in the UK for its publishers, the Catholic Truth Society, said: "The Pope is not actually saying anything that would surprise moral theologians. What is surprising is that it is coming from the Pope."

He added: "The church's teaching on contraception predates AIDS and predates new kinds of moral possibilities, which is that condoms can be used not as a means of preventing a conception but as a means of preventing transmission of a virus.

"Rome has been silent on this for some years. The difficulty has been how they can clarify this teaching without it looking like they are lifting the ban on contraception.

"It may well be that the pope has decided that this is the best way of doing it - through a book-length interview."

Benedict addresses a range of issues in the book, including clerical sex abuse and science and says that if a pope is no longer physically, psychologically or spiritually capable of doing his job, then he has the "right and, under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign."

• This article was amended on 22 November 2010. The words 'no longer' had been omitted from the final paragraph. This has been corrected

lazydays

Keep em poor,

Keep em praying,

Keep em donating to the collection tray.

• Like 2

Cipro

The gold on the Vatican roof has to come from somewhere.

• Like 1

davidn

I am not a Catholic but I regularly debate this with Catholics on various web forums and blogs. That statement by the Pope has been completely refined and "clarified" so that it can never be taken to mean that the use of contraception to prevent a pregnancy would ever be permitted. They regard sex without the possibility of pro-creation ocurring as a deadly sin. They regard the use of the pill as effective abortion, as it destroys a fertilised egg rather than prevent it being fertilsed. Marriage can only be between a man and a woman because the creation of life is central to it's purpose and lasts for life. Sex before marriage is a deadly sin because sex can only occur during a marriage.

To be poor is a blessing, because then you can better understand Christ's condition.

Big families are a blessing as your children can care for you later in life. People are a resource, not a burden. Over population is a myth perpetrated by westerners for their own purposes.

There is more. I don't agree with any of it so don't shoot the messenger!

AlooGobi
To be poor is a blessing, because then you can better understand Christ's condition.

ok , i see the logic, to be buggered by a priest is also a blessing as it leads to a more profound understanding of christs condition, presumedly

dennis1105

ok , i see the logic, to be buggered by a priest is also a blessing as it leads to a more profound understanding of christs condition, presumedly

I'm not Catholic but, that was uncalled for......You should be ashamed of yourself for being so juvenile...just sayin........

Dennis

• Like 1

SkyMan
Christian thing to do
Christian and Catholic aren't the same thing, at least not in the RP.
I truly don’t understand the logic of the Catholic Church opposing the RH bill. Someone (hopefully someone who is a devout Catholic) please explain what would be the benefit of keeping the general population uneducated about RH and deny them access to birth control information.
I'm not Catholic but I believe the opposition is because the bill includes a lot of things beyond mere sex ed and those are what the church opposes, but since they're included in the bill, it's all or none so the church chooses none.
Pope signals shift away from Catholic church's prohibition of condoms
This article is all about homosexual prostitutes using condoms. The church prohibition of condoms is that they prevent pregnancy. Since pregnancy isn't an issue with homosexual prostitutes, condoms prevent disease and are therefore a good thing, even though the act is a sin.

They regard the use of the pill as effective abortion, as it destroys a fertilised egg rather than prevent it being fertilized.
You mean the morning after pill, not BC pills and I agree with them on that. Whether the abortion comes via chemical, scalpel or hanger, its still murder. I do not agree with them, however, on BC or the need to bang out as many babies as possible. Edited by SkyMan

Davaoeno

I assume you have decided that you want to get this thread locked? I can see no other reason for saying this here.

AlooGobi

sooner or later its going to be locked

InternetTough
I do not agree with them, however, on BC or the need to bang out as many babies as possible.

That is not the teaching of the Catholic Church. People are not obliged to "bang out as many babies as possible."

People can regulate the number of children they have, and can, using Natural Family Planning, which is safe and effective.

Parents should ask themselves how many children they can afford to raise before deciding to have children. That is a teaching of the Church, findable in the Universal Catechism of the Catholic Church. I don't want to go searching for it right now, however.

tobster

<<<<<<<look as a