Bi Imposes Return Ticket Requirement

I've entered Thailand from Oz three times, Malaysia at least six times and RP twice.

All on one way tickets.

Never yet had or been asked for an onward ticket.

KonGC

Yes, me too. But that's the law.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• KennyF

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I am back from BoI Mandaue with my latest extension.   As usual filled out TOURIST EXTENSION FORM BI FORM: MCL - 07 - 02 and the only mention of a flight on this form is the flight number and

pal airlines in lax asked me for proof and i showed them the printed out ticket for tiger airways and he took it and was gone for 5 minutes and came back and said its all good,Where did the ticket age

Matt, you and I been here long enough to know that any law is a mere suggestion, subject to being rewritten by any petty official until it says what he wants it to. I posted that article in the vain h

Posted Images

Skywalker

This debate seems to be endless. So let me ask a question:

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of an arriver being refused entry, because they had no onward ticket?

samatm

BI WILL ask for your onward ticket if you have had multiple extensions. I don't know what or if there is a cut off limit but I was asked for one at 18 months into my stay.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of an arriver being refused entry, because they had no onward ticket?

Cebu Pacific Air would not let me board from BKK to Manila 3 weeks ago because I did not have an ongoing ticket. I had to buy one at the airport - however it was (is) for mid October - well outside of the initial 21 day tourist Visa.

Headshot

Cathay Pacific didn't want to let me board in San Francisco because I didn't have an onward ticket from the Philippines...until I showed them my permanent resident visa (13A). Then, they were all smiles and everything was OK. I'm fairly certain that if I had just been a tourist, they would have forced me to buy another ticket before allowing me to board.

Cebu Pacific Air would not let me board from BKK to Manila 3 weeks ago because I did not have an ongoing ticket. I had to buy one at the airport - however it was (is) for mid October - well outside of the initial 21 day tourist Visa.

I have also in the past had to purchase a ticket at the airport in Bangkok and also Dubai. It is hit and miss, I have been thru both places before without an onward ticket also. I used to just take an old itinerary and change the dates, but the last time I tried that they checked the record locator # and if was no where to be found, so off I go to buy the cheapest ticket possible.

SHANEBO

Edited by Shanebo
dennis1105

BI WILL ask for your onward ticket if you have had multiple extensions. I don't know what or if there is a cut off limit but I was asked for one at 18 months into my stay.

I just extended to 18 months yesterday at BI in Manila. Needed the Motion of Reconsideration for 500p and had to go back after it was approved to get my passport stamped. I was not asked for an onward ticket.
  • Like 1
throttleplate

pal airlines in lax asked me for proof and i showed them the printed out ticket for tiger airways and he took it and was gone for 5 minutes and came back and said its all good,Where did the ticket agent go with my ongoing itinary?Dont try to skirt the system,be preppared,if you cant afford to buy onward ticket than you better stay home as you wont be able to afford to live in the philippines.

• Like 2
Skywalker

Well there we have it, everyone's experience seems to be different. I understand the requirement for such a law, I just wonder why they are so unreliable in its implementation.

I don't think it's about affordability, certainly in my case it's simply that I don't know what my travel plans are in the short term, never mind the long term. I tend to hop on a plane when I feel like it. Perhaps those days are numbered as big brother crushes us further.

• Like 1

They didn't want to let me board the airplane because I didn't have no onward ticket.

Anyway, I know tons of people who have used fake airline tickets and have entered the country multiple times with it. I wouldn't recommend it, but it happens alot, especially by backpackers.

Edited by Mr.T

just came from abu dhabi to hong kong (end destination Cebu) got indeed ask for a flight out of Philippines.. now in Hong kong hoping this flight wont be delated , lots of disruption apparently due to some typhoon...

less then two hr before the flight and no plane in sight yet....

SkyMan

I lived in Pattaya in those AIDs days of the 80s.

I also new a few guys who ran gay bars so was kept well up on the whole AIDs thing.

The biggest problem for us straight guys was that many of the younger boys who worked in these gay bars were not gay.

They were just willing to take it up the Khyber to earn good money.

These same boys often had a girlfriend or wife who was often working in a regular bar.

I think you get the picture.

KonGC

Oh yeah. Screw a prostitute (of either sex) and it's like having had sex with all of their customers and all the prostitutes they've been with and so on and on and on...
I used to just take an old itinerary and change the dates, but the last time I tried that they checked the record locator # and if was no where to be found, so off I go to buy the cheapest ticket possible.
Good to know there was no penalty for trying that other than perhaps having to pay a bit more for the onward ticket.

The problem with the onward ticket requirement is hardly affordability but that it's a completely unnecessary expense and that the law requiring it is completely ambiguous as is the implementation. They claim the reason behind it is to make sure you leave when you are supposed to but it succeeds at nothing of the kind. Rarely does anyone actually use those tickets unless the are on a r/t. They make no requirement that the onward ticket be within 21 days. If they required you leave within the visa time period you'd have to buy a lot of onward tickets. But since they routinely extend tourist visas up to 2 years and you can't get a onward ticket more than 11 months out, it's just pointless. Now wouldn't it simpler and more effective just to require proof of financial means so that you can show you can afford to leave when necessary?

They really could get nasty though and require an onward ticket within 21 days, then another within 38 days, and every 59 days after that. Then they could say, "So, you're onward ticket is to HK and HK requires an onward ticket also, where is your onward ticket from HK?" Because technically, your onward ticket to HK is no good if the airline won't let you board to HK without an HK onward ticket. Hahahahaha Now that would suck.

And since they are claiming this is a worldwide rule, you couldn't enter the RP without a complete itinerary back to your home country which would have to be updated for every extension.

• Like 2
Skywalker

Maybe it's time to buy a yacht!

udonthani

In view of the news coming from and about there, how is it a stupid comment?

http://ph.news.yahoo...-042833946.html

This offers the brightest picture of Thailand AIDS and there are more news feeds from elsewhere which show it to be even worse than this.

it's a dumb comment, because the article you link focuses on transgenders, who are a small fraction of the total populace (even in Thailand). Sex workers have high rates of infection in any country. Fact is use of condoms is much more common in Thailand than in the Philippines, where you could knob a hundred girls before being asked to wear one. I don't trust the official AIDS statistics for the Philippines at all. I'm ready to believe there are more people with AIDS in Thailand than the Philippines, mainly because there are going to be more intravenous drug users there, not for anything else. Prostitution, gay or straight, isn't any less, that's for sure, in the Philippines as Thailand, it's just less visible, and condom use is definitely less in the Philippines.

• Like 1
Brucewayne

it's a dumb comment, because the article you link focuses on transgenders, who are a small fraction of the total populace (even in Thailand). Sex workers have high rates of infection in any country. Fact is use of condoms is much more common in Thailand than in the Philippines, where you could knob a hundred girls before being asked to wear one. I don't trust the official AIDS statistics for the Philippines at all. I'm ready to believe there are more people with AIDS in Thailand than the Philippines, mainly because there are going to be more intravenous drug users there, not for anything else. Prostitution, gay or straight, isn't any less, that's for sure, in the Philippines as Thailand, it's just less visible, and condom use is definitely less in the Philippines.

You miss the point completely.

Some of these guys are straight and have girl friends or wives, some of them are bisexual and have sex with both sexes.

How can you sit there and believe the AIDS would be contained only to the control group which is tested and not spread to others within their social circle?

There are tons of cases in every country which go unreported and my feeling is that any country that seems to use people as toys for sex tourists is one place I will not go into.

The Philippines is similar, but at least most of the girls here are girls and most of them are clean, even pure until marriage.

Yes, there is a problem with AIDS here, but really, I have never met anyone who has it or died from it.

I suppose AIDS is more prevalent than reported, but in all the years I have been here, I have not met anyone who can tell me that they or anyone they know has AIDS.

It may just be that I don't hang out with those within the danger bracket.

Doing such as that is tantamount to walking into a room with a group of people with Black Plague and locking the door behind you and if that is dumb, so be it, but I intend to stay safe, quarantined or what ever you kids call it.