Bi Imposes Return Ticket Requirement

Mailman

maybe it is (the height of stupidity), but that's the way it is. Look up the requirements for tourists in places like Switzerland, and Belgium. You will find that they all of them require visitors to have an onward FLIGHT ticket out.

I have been all over Europe by rail and car (Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy) and never once did anyone stop me, request any sort of documentation (besides the ticket for the train I was currently riding of course), or require any onward tickets. I didn't even have a passport to show anyone if they had asked. However, to be fair... credentials were checked upon arriving into Europe in both Belgium and Germany although, I still didn't have a passport nor an onward ticket. :P

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• KennyF

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I am back from BoI Mandaue with my latest extension.   As usual filled out TOURIST EXTENSION FORM BI FORM: MCL - 07 - 02 and the only mention of a flight on this form is the flight number and

pal airlines in lax asked me for proof and i showed them the printed out ticket for tiger airways and he took it and was gone for 5 minutes and came back and said its all good,Where did the ticket age

Matt, you and I been here long enough to know that any law is a mere suggestion, subject to being rewritten by any petty official until it says what he wants it to. I posted that article in the vain h

Posted Images

Woolf

http://www.philembas...r-services/visa

Guidelines on the Entry of Temporary Visitors to the Philippines

Danish, Icelandic, and Norwegian nationals who are travelling to the Philippines forshort-term business and tourism purposes are allowed to enter the Philippines without visa for a stay not exceeding twenty one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination and their passports valid for a period of at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay.

Does not say that the onward or return ticket has to be within the first 21 days.

Last time I entered The Philippines, I was asked how long I planned to stay, I said close to 6 months, then he wanted to see some proof of ticket out the country, I showed him my E-Ticket print out , he said ok, just remember to get extensions at the Immigration office, ok I said I will, ok you can enter was the answer

Extension of Authorized Period of Stay in the Philippines

In case of a temporary visitor’s visa holder whose stay in the Philippines will exceed the authorized period of stay, he/she will have to report to the Bureau of Immigration, secure an extension of stay and pay the corresponding immigration fees. Information on fees for extension of stay and other Immigration fees are available at the Bureau of Immigration website here.

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
CebuKano

I got my last extension 2 weeks ago in Mandaue and wasn't asked for any onward tickets. Like many here, I'll be interested to see if this new policy is in force now or just another rumour ;)

We might have been there at the same time because I just renewed my visa July 6th in Mandaue and there was no request for an outbound ticket. I think that they may request it as one approaches the maximum months of staying here in "tourist" status. Just a guess though.

• Like 1
udonthani

Well earlier this year I flew Oz to Vietnam.

Vietnam never asked for an ongoing.

I then drove to Cambodia.

Cambodia never asked for an ongoing.

You mention Belgium? I lived and worked there for 4 years.

Went from Belgium to France, Germany and Holland many, many times and needed no onward ticket.

KonGC

I'd like to know how you drove a car from Vietnam into Cambodia, it's possible but not the easiest thing to do. It's not like driving a car from Fance into Italy. There's a heap of stuff you have to do.

if you apply for a visa for Belgium, certainly Americans will need an onward ticket, just like Belgians need an onward ticket tro get a visa for the states. I don't, because I'm an EU citizen.

first time I arrived in the Philippines was by boat, and I didn't have to show any onward ticket which was a good thing, as I didn't have one. But the next week I might have been asked for one. Fact is, under the law, I needed one.

udonthani

Does not say that the onward or return ticket has to be within the first 21 days.

the recorded voice message at the Philippines Embassy in London definitely DOES say the onward ticket has to be within the 21 day period, if you not get a visa in advance. Also the woman I booked the flight with at Trailfinders told me that she'd heard of people getting refused leave to board an Emirates flight to Bangkok, because though they had onward tickets, they were outside the 30 days you get there.

there's just no consistency, loads of times I've had onward tickets like over 100 days in the future, a lot more than 21 and nobody has said anything. That doesn't mean that nobody ever will though. It's a risk, but a risk I'm prepared to take.

udonthani

I have been all over Europe by rail and car (Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Denmark, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy) and never once did anyone stop me, request any sort of documentation (besides the ticket for the train I was currently riding of course), or require any onward tickets. I didn't even have a passport to show anyone if they had asked. However, to be fair... credentials were checked upon arriving into Europe in both Belgium and Germany although, I still didn't have a passport nor an onward ticket. :P

look it up. I'm tellin' ya, strictly speaking, as an American, you needed an onward ticket for each one of those countries. As an EU passport holder, I don't but strictly speaking, you do. They just don't enforce it.

MattFromGA

I had a family member visit me in Cebu via a cruise that docked in Cebu for the day as part of its overall journey. They were allowed out of the cruise and to get around the city for the day. They did seem to be required to have return flight tickets. It is possible that someone could not get back on the boat, but I wonder how the boat would react if that happened. Would the cruise wait until the figured out what happened or do they just take off at the time and if you missed it you're SOL?

http://www.philembas...r-services/visa

Guidelines on the Entry of Temporary Visitors to the Philippines

Danish, Icelandic, and Norwegian nationals who are travelling to the Philippines forshort-term business and tourism purposes are allowed to enter the Philippines without visa for a stay not exceeding twenty one (21) days, provided they hold valid tickets for their return journey to port of origin or next port of destination and their passports valid for a period of at least six (6) months beyond the contemplated period of stay.

Last time I entered The Philippines, I was asked how long I planned to stay, I said close to 6 months, then he wanted to see some proof of ticket out the country, I showed him my E-Ticket print out , he said ok, just remember to get extensions at the Immigration office, ok I said I will, ok you can enter was the answer

Extension of Authorized Period of Stay in the Philippines

In case of a temporary visitor’s visa holder whose stay in the Philippines will exceed the authorized period of stay, he/she will have to report to the Bureau of Immigration, secure an extension of stay and pay the corresponding immigration fees. Information on fees for extension of stay and other Immigration fees are available at the Bureau of Immigration website here.

Edited by 1909
Woolf

If you come to the philippines without a prearranged entry visa you will be given a 21 day stay permit

If you come to the philippines with a prearranged entry visa you will be given a 59 day stay permit

udonthani

I had a family member visit me in Cebu via a cruise that docked in Cebu for the day as part of its overall journey. They were allowed out of the cruise and to get around the city for the day. They did seem to be required to have return flight tickets. It is possible that someone could not get back on the boat, but I wonder how the boat would react if that happened. Would the cruise wait until the figured out what happened or do they just take off at the time and if you missed it you're SOL?

lol. Who could imagine any of the crew, deserting at Cebu. Why. It's not like the TSS Stefan Batory (look it up), a Polish liner that made its way through the western Baltic, crossed the Atlantic, went up the St Lawrence river, and then docked, in Montreal. It took 10 days to get to Montreal from London, but 13 days, from Gydnia in Poland. Usually half of the Polish workers on the ship, jumped ship, every voyage, to escape communism.

Edited by udonthani
SkyMan
the recorded voice message at the Philippines Embassy in London definitely DOES say the onward ticket has to be within the 21 day period, if you not get a visa in advance
And actually I've never seen anything from the BI that says you don't need an onward ticket if you have a 59 day visa. Note earlier posts about BBs still requiring the onward ticket.
udonthani

it's a question of national prestige really. Everyone has an onward ticket requirement. Why should the Philippines, be any differerent.

• Like 1
Skywalker
As far as any legal requirement to have an ongoing flight - legalities in this banana republic? Do me a fecking favour!

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

Alan S

It is the law in many / most countries and has been a requirement fo rentry to the Philippines for many years.

However, there was a high degree of laxity and many carriers didnt bother to check, and immigration didnt check either.

That meant that a lot of people "got away" with what was, technically, breaking the law.

Now they appear to be enforcing the laws, which should make any difference to the majority of people.

It is only those who want to evade the law who will be affected.

udonthani

I have researched this and I've never found any country, anywhere, that does not have an onward ticket requirement.

only if the countries concerned have special status/relationship and/or agreements, like Americans in Canada or Mexico, or Brits in Poland, or Denmark, is an onward ticket not needed. EVeryone else, strictly speaking needs one.