Bi Imposes Return Ticket Requirement

This has always been one good reason to look at other countries in which to live. God, they are such pains in the ass about the return / onward ticket.

In other countries, no onward ticket is required. Also, some have very easy visa, and foreigner friendly, visa rules.

Thailand requires onward ticket to enter the country

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• KennyF

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I am back from BoI Mandaue with my latest extension.   As usual filled out TOURIST EXTENSION FORM BI FORM: MCL - 07 - 02 and the only mention of a flight on this form is the flight number and

pal airlines in lax asked me for proof and i showed them the printed out ticket for tiger airways and he took it and was gone for 5 minutes and came back and said its all good,Where did the ticket age

Matt, you and I been here long enough to know that any law is a mere suggestion, subject to being rewritten by any petty official until it says what he wants it to. I posted that article in the vain h

Posted Images

I find it ridicilous to say "it might be better to live in another country" because of the onward ticket requirement. I myself always purchased cheap 2000 or 3000 PHP onward tickets to HK valid for 36 months can enter and leave the country any time.

• Like 1
Majorsco

It seems that they love tourists with lots of money to spend in the Philippines, except when they hate them. It's hard to tell when it's love and when it's hate.

Paul

Thailand requires onward ticket to enter the country

I don't think so. I just left Thailand in May. They never required such an animal from me.

• Like 1
Mailman

I would think that most countries with land borders don't require an onward ticket. It really only becomes an issue with countries that are solely accessible by way of plane or ship.

Edited by Mailman
  • Like 1
Skywalker
The BOI is now demanding you show an ongoing ticket when you apply for an extension. So there is a question: "Show me your ongoing ticket".

That must be a new one then. I am going to immigration this afternoon for an extension, be interesting to see what happens, as I have no ongoing flight from Philippines. I flew back into Manila at the beginning of this month, from Sri Lanka via KL, using a return ticket that I purchased here. Immigration at the airport simply stamped me in for 21 days, no questions asked.

In all the years I lived in Thailand I never was asked to show on onward ticket. Possibly because I don't look like a dreadlocked backpacker, trying to get by on $10 a day!

• Like 2
lifeisgood

The BOI is now demanding you show an ongoing ticket when you apply for an extension. So there is a question: "Show me your ongoing ticket".

Did you experience this or simply hear about it? I would like to know because it could change my plans this fall. Cheers.

MattFromGA
I would think that most countries with land borders don't require an onward ticket. It really only becomes an issue with countries that are solely accessible by way of plane or ship.

I kind of understand that logic, but not completely.

It seems you are insinuating that if I can walk/drive out of the country I dont need to fly out. However, that is just 1 more mode of transportation. In an island country, the other option is to take a boat, which a land locked country doesnt have as an option. In the end, each scenario has two ways out. 1. fly or take a boat, or 2. fly or drive/walk.

I wonder how serious of a problem it is for the Philippines to have foreigners overstay. It cannot possibly be equal to the number of Filipinos overstaying in other countries, so overall its a win for the Philippines anyway. Seems they want their cake and eat it too, as well as loose weight in the process.

Maybe it allows the Philippine government to feel good about themselves because they can emulate the problems of the big boy countries.

Edited by MattFromGA
  • Like 1
Skywalker

Lifeisgood, I'll brief you when I get back later.

But of course, everybody's experience is different at immigration, so I may not bear the definitive detail!

easy44

Did you experience this or simply hear about it? I would like to know because it could change my plans this fall. Cheers.

I was asked to show one to get my last extension, approximately one month ago. Fortunately for me the guy who does my extensions used to work for BOI, so he was able to push it through without one. I did have a ticket when I arrived in PH from Thailand in February, a throw away ticket that had since expired. This was the first time in 11 years that I was asked, but I was told it is now official policy. This has been confirmed by others.

miles-high

The US immigration fines the air carrier $10,000 per B passenger who does not possess a return ticket... My information may be outdated but they at least used to do that...

Paul
In all the years I lived in Thailand I never was asked to show on onward ticket. Possibly because I don't look like a dreadlocked backpacker, trying to get by on $10 a day!

$10 a day?! Wow, that is a high class backpacker. Here in Cambodia, they will argue with someone over .50c US! I bet they are living on $5 per day. :D

I see a lot of the business owners here do NOT like backpackers. I can appreciate why.

• Like 1
MattFromGA
The US immigration fines the air carrier $10,000 per B passenger who does not possess a return ticket...

It must be selective, based on them turning someone away. I've personally seen the issue tested in the USA and as far as we know there was no fine for the airline, and the airline didnt give a rats ass about it either.

samatm

Just returned from HK this weekend CX asked to see my return ticket. Immigration at Cebu did not.

I have a throwaway ticket on Air Asia Clark to HK for only 580 pesos.

johnboy999

I was asked to show one to get my last extension, approximately one month ago. Fortunately for me the guy who does my extensions used to work for BOI, so he was able to push it through without one. I did have a ticket when I arrived in PH from Thailand in February, a throw away ticket that had since expired. This was the first time in 11 years that I was asked, but I was told it is now official policy. This has been confirmed by others.

I got my last extension 2 weeks ago in Mandaue and wasn't asked for any onward tickets. Like many here, I'll be interested to see if this new policy is in force now or just another rumour ;)

• Like 1