Bi Imposes Return Ticket Requirement

CardiacKid

BI Imposes Return Ticket Requirement

By JUN RAMIREZ

July 22, 2012, 8:49pm

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Sunday said it will slap fines on airlines bringing foreign tourists to the country without return tickets.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. instructed the BI airport operations division to impose fine on any airline which allows a foreign visitor to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practice worldwide.

"This rule is meant to guarantee that a foreign visitor will leave the host country at the lapse of his stay," the BI chief said.

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all their passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He said those who do not have return tickets will be excluded and sent back to their port of origin.

Lawyer Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI spokesperson and intelligence chief, explained that under the immigration law aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

Mangrobang, however, stressed that balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule as a courtesy of being former Filipinos.

She stressed that although the exclusions have inconvenienced the excluded passengers, the bureau has no choice but to implement the law.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/366978/bi-imposes-return-ticket-requirement :link: While enforcement of this has been spotty in the past, it looks as if it will be standardized and more rigidly enforced. Please note the exemption for balikbayans.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• udonthani

• Skywalker

• KennyF

• MattFromGA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I am back from BoI Mandaue with my latest extension.   As usual filled out TOURIST EXTENSION FORM BI FORM: MCL - 07 - 02 and the only mention of a flight on this form is the flight number and

pal airlines in lax asked me for proof and i showed them the printed out ticket for tiger airways and he took it and was gone for 5 minutes and came back and said its all good,Where did the ticket age

Matt, you and I been here long enough to know that any law is a mere suggestion, subject to being rewritten by any petty official until it says what he wants it to. I posted that article in the vain h

Posted Images

spooks

No news here, they do this anyway, looks like some one needed their name in the papers again

Davaoeno

July 22, 2012, 8:49pm

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) on Sunday said it will slap fines on airlines bringing foreign tourists to the country without return tickets.

Immigration Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. instructed the BI airport operations division to impose fine on any airline which allows a foreign visitor to board its aircraft without a return ticket before flying to the Philippines .

He said the requirement on return tickets for tourists is an international rule that is practice worldwide.

"This rule is meant to guarantee that a foreign visitor will leave the host country at the lapse of his stay," the BI chief said.

David stressed that it should be the responsibility of the airlines to see to it that all their passengers who are traveling as tourists have procured the necessary return tickets.

He said those who do not have return tickets will be excluded and sent back to their port of origin.

Lawyer Ma. Antonette Mangrobang, BI spokesperson and intelligence chief, explained that under the immigration law aliens who arrived as tourists but do not have valid return or onward tickets shall be automatically excluded.

Mangrobang, however, stressed that balikbayans, who are also considered tourists but are admitted for one year, are exempted from the rule as a courtesy of being former Filipinos.

She stressed that although the exclusions have inconvenienced the excluded passengers, the bureau has no choice but to implement the law.

MattFromGA

This part is interesting. What about a Filipino's spouse, who is also considered a balikbayan (they get the BB stamp anyway). Do they need a return ticket?

Is the airlines supposed to know about that rule too? The statement seems to indicate that a former Filipino who is now a US citizen (as an example) doesnt need a return ticket, but how is the airline supposed to manage that? By looking at their birth place on the passport?

What a wasted effort. We've all seem how easy it is to get around this with the cheap ass tickets to some place just outside the Philippines.

What is next? Ankle tracking devices for tourists?

CebuKano

Quick story regarding needing a return or onward ticket. This past March when I was flying back home here to Cebu I had enough flyer miles through Asiana for a reward ticket so I thought I would test the "onward ticket" requirement (no penalty if you don't fly on that specific date and you reschedule).... I had no onward or return ticket because as usual, I booked my flight one-way to Cebu. To make a long story short, Asiana would not allow me to check in at all without an onward ticket. So I used my iPhone in the terminal and purchased a one-way, onward ticket from Manila to Hong Kong through Cebu Pacific. Try doing all that b.s. using a iPhone. Not easy, at least for me. But like I said, I really wasn't under pressure because I could have just left and booked my flight later with no penalty. So I finally got the Cebu Pacific ticket purchased and of course, I had no way to print the ETicket so I simply approached the check in counter and handed my phone to the lady with the ETicket receipt showing on the screen. She accepted it with no problem. If I had paid for my ticket I would have never tempted fate like this because of the hefty penalties regarding last minuet changes. So yeah, I think most major airlines make sure passengers have onward or return tickets as a general standing rule. But I've never been asked for my return or onward ticket by any immigration officer at the airport.

CebuKano

This part is interesting. What about a Filipino's spouse, who is also considered a balikbayan (they get the BB stamp anyway). Do they need a return ticket?

Is the airlines supposed to know about that rule too? The statement seems to indicate that a former Filipino who is now a US citizen (as an example) doesnt need a return ticket, but how is the airline supposed to manage that? By looking at their birth place on the passport?

What a wasted effort. We've all seem how easy it is to get around this with the cheap ass tickets to some place just outside the Philippines.

Yep. Exactly. Good points.

Balintawak

its b.s waste of time. Demanding return ticket, but anyone can go to bol and get 3 months extension without any questions lol :steve:

Paul

This has always been one good reason to look at other countries in which to live. God, they are such pains in the ass about the return / onward ticket.

In other countries, no onward ticket is required. Also, some have very easy visa, and foreigner friendly, visa rules.

CardiacKid
Please, let's not give them any ideas.
  • Like 1
Jim Sibbick

Yes, we have been through this already on the forum.

Here is a reply I received previously from the Bureau of Immigration.

Dear Mr. Sibbick,

We would like to inform you that the Balikbayan admission is under the category of temporary visitor (tourist) and as such are required to present valid travel documents including a return ticket or an onward ticket or even a round trip ticket prior admission in the Philippines .

The said ticket does not necessarily need to be confirmed but its presentation proves that the tourist has the intention to leave the country.

Have a nice day.

Regards: Jim

greatplace

A Balikbayan is a courtesy for being a former Filipino...........But the husband...... if a foreigner.... has never been a Filipino.....and you can only get the Balikbayan stamp at Immigration when you arrive..........So at the port of origin you can't get a BB stamp so at checkin you will have to have a return ticket or no boarding pass.......the best way is to have a throw away cheap ticket.

A foreigner travelling with his wife means nothing.......there not exempt entry without a onward ticket.......its just a visa for 12 months stay which you get on arrival.

I had this experience when coming back to Philippines at the start of this month. Cebu Pacific air would not let me board because I (in this instance) forgot to organise an onward flight.

So they made me buy a 1-way flight out of the Philippines and pay in cash. Lucky I was at the airport quite early.

Interesting thing was the onward flight is in October (well outside the 21 days for initial tourist entry)

Jez

MattFromGA
We would like to inform you that the Balikbayan admission is under the category of temporary visitor (tourist) and as such are required to present valid travel documents including a return ticket or an onward ticket or even a round trip ticket prior admission in the Philippines .

This seems to be in conflict with the quote from the original post, which fits perfectly with the way things work in "its funner in the Philippines". So, if I was born in the PI, but renounced my citizenship, its ok if I dont have a return ticket, but if I am spouse of a Filipino citizen arriving on a BB with spouse, feck off, you need a return ticket.

Ya, it really is funner in the Philippines. I sure am glad there are return flights every day.

easy44

its b.s waste of time. Demanding return ticket, but anyone can go to bol and get 3 months extension without any questions lol :steve:

The BOI is now demanding you show an ongoing ticket when you apply for an extension. So there is a question: "Show me your ongoing ticket".

• Like 1
CardiacKid
This seems to be in conflict with the quote from the original post, which fits perfectly with the way things work in "its funner in the Philippines". So, if I was born in the PI, but renounced my citizenship, its ok if I dont have a return ticket, but if I am spouse of a Filipino citizen arriving on a BB with spouse, feck off, you need a return ticket.
Matt, you and I been here long enough to know that any law is a mere suggestion, subject to being rewritten by any petty official until it says what he wants it to. I posted that article in the vain hope of clarifying the issue for the new guys and the ones coming here. The slogan it's more fun in the Philippines should read It's more aggravating,senseless,maddening,hopeless,I could go on and on, but you get my drift.
  • Like 2