Tour De France: Bradley Wiggins Halts Stage 14 Amid Sabotage

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'm assuming this is something that happens a lot .. even though i've never heard it before, granted i really don't much follow this race

but it's just hard to believe something so easy to do has never happened before

thebob

It happened a lot at the very beginning of the Tour, about 90 years ago, it is unheard of these days.

The point is that the leader slowed down the race to not take unfair advantage of a rivals misfortune.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

It happened a lot at the very beginning of the Tour, about 90 years ago, it is unheard of these days.

The point is that the leader slowed down the race to not take unfair advantage of a rivals misfortune.

yeah i get that i've been involved in sports my whole life and i feel the same way

but the other part got me curious

thebob

The spectators are so close that the leader was burnt by a flare that an idiot was waving the other day.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

The spectators are so close that the leader was burnt by a flare that an idiot was waving the other day.

tacks are one thing .. though of course they can be dangerous when those guys are at speed for sure

but the flare .. that guy should be arrested

udonthani

if he does win it will another boost for British and English sport, which is looking up at the moment. Chelsea won Champions League, Murray got to the Wimbledon final, England, the #1 Test side, thrashed West Indies in the Tests and then whitewashed Australia 4-0 in the one days. Even England's soccer team didn't perform quite so abjectly as they did in the previous tournament.

thebob

In cycling GB are the team to beat but an Englishman has never won TDF. Sky are looking invincible.

HeyMike

if he does win it will another boost for British and English sport, which is looking up at the moment. Chelsea won Champions League, Murray got to the Wimbledon final, England, the #1 Test side, thrashed West Indies in the Tests and then whitewashed Australia 4-0 in the one days. Even England's soccer team didn't perform quite so abjectly as they did in the previous tournament.

I would not include Murray in the list of winners, just saying.

udonthani

for Americans winning is everything, and I mean everything and second place is almost like a humiliation, and certainly nothing to celebrate. But the UK mindset is not quite the same. Murray just getting to the Final at Centre Court meant quite a lot, he'd been runner up in three Grand Slam finals before, but the only time it really captured the imagination of the public was this year, at home, at Wimbledon.

• Like 1

Greatest sporting event in the world. A three week race with only two rest days. 20 individual races over 3 weeks with accumulated time for each day makes Wiggins the fastest rider so far by 2mins. First and second places held by British riders, Napoleon is rolling around in his grave. No British rider has ever won it in its 109 years history. Cadel Evans, Australian, who won it last year and is coming 4th and Nibali an Italian coming 3rd could still win and rob Wiggins of his victory it all depends on the next 4 days as they race over the Pyrenees.

Its a test of endurance and strategy and one day a rider can have no energy and be last and the next bounce back to form and win the days race. No rider can win the race by himself he needs a team to help him. Wiggins has a strong team in Sky with 2 Australian riders being very strong performers in helping Wiggins to win. Some Australian spectators watching the race in person have been booing the Australian riders in the Sky team because they are helping Cadel Evans to lose, very sad to hear that. Wiggins deserves to win his performance is strong and his team is strong something Cadel just has to take on the chin last year he won maybe he can do it this year again only if Wiggins has a really bad day along with Froome and Nibali.

Cadel said that he doesn't ride in Spanish races anymore because of spectators throwing tacks on the road and ruining his chances sad to see it happen in France for the 2nd time in the races history. The race is covered by cameras in two helicopters and several roving cameramen on the back of motorcycles so you watch it from many points of view. The scenery is beautiful and its a successful tourist promotion of France and the countryside the Philippines could learn from them. Of a starting line up of 198 riders, each team starts with 9 riders, about 156 are still racing, just to cross the finish line in Paris is an amazing feat of stamina, most riders pull out because of injuries, exhaustion or because they could not stay within the time limit set for that day. Imagine running a marathon everyday for 3 weeks and you will start to grasp why I admire this race and its sportsmen and why Wiggins' win if it happens is a very rare and special event.

The rider coming in last place at the moment at 2 hours 47 minutes behind Wiggins is an American Tyler Farrar who has won a stage last year but this year has crashed 4 times in this race and yet he still is riding you got to admire these sportsmen they are giants in my opinion.