Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

I Think I Found The Cheapest Pension Room In Cebu

A_Simple_Man

This one is definitely a Mr Whippy special!!!

I was browsing the cheap pension houses and found this one available, with private cr, aircon but no hot water, for only . . .

350 pesos a night with tax included

AND

It is available through Agoda so you can book it online, pay with your credit card, and get points which you use as discount on your next room rental.

The name of the place is

La Maria Pension & Tourist Inn Hotel

And the date I searched was a Wednesday night in August.

Anyone brave enough to try this one? Anyone found a cheaper deal for a full 24 hours in a hotel in Cebu?

• Like 3

thebob

The only review I could find said

"The place is old. The AC is not working. Rooms are messy and the locks are not in working condition. But if you're looking for a cheap stay, this is for you."

udonthani

somebody should try it out because 350 is very cheap for aircon room with own CR, in fact I don't know any aircon room in Cebu for under 500 except GV hotel in Lapu Lapu for 420, but that has shared CR, Mcsherry Pension House, on Pelaez Street, has quite nice fan rooms for 380, but aircon is 550. Another cheapie is La Guardia Hotel or with quite spacious aircon rooms with CR, TV and even hot water, that's on Osmena Boulevard, also 550.

• Like 3

udonthani

of course you get what you pay for, as in Thailand, best value for money is not absolute cheapest, but when you step up just a touch into the next price level, I've now settled on Capitol Tourist Inn's not absolute cheapest rooms which I think could be less than 500 for aircon, but their refurbished ones that are 600-650, spacious rooms, aircon, tv, hot water but bathrooms are not nice.

• Like 1

mikejwoodnz

You guys should check out http://www.couchsurfing.org/ nothing but your conscience beats free :dance:

• Like 1

udonthani

Hospitality Club

http://www.hospitalityclub.org/

that one is good if you want to stay in expensive cities like Hong Kong or New York, somewhere like that, for feck all. I've had several people - all female, by a curious coincidence - come to stay at my place in the UK who used that site.

• Like 1

RogerDat

Hospitality Club

http://www.hospitalityclub.org/

that one is good if you want to stay in expensive cities like Hong Kong or New York, somewhere like that, for feck all. I've had several people - all female, by a curious coincidence - come to stay at my place in the UK who used that site.

What did he say?

What did he mean by "for feck all"?

I really got to get out more, I havent talked to a "forigner" in ages.

WONINTWO

I was hoping this was a joke and someone was gonna post a picture of the guy who is living in a bathroom w/his whole family.That guy looked happy to have a place too!!!!

the GV HOTELS are all over the country and are cheap safe and SMALL,closet size small...but hot water,own bthrm for under P700.

ItsNotMe

I was hoping this was a joke and someone was gonna post a picture of the guy who is living in a bathroom w/his whole family.That guy looked happy to have a place too!!!!

the GV HOTELS are all over the country and are cheap safe and SMALL,closet size small...but hot water,own bthrm for under P700.

Their regular rates are double than that in Cebu....

udonthani

Their regular rates are double than that in Cebu....

there's three GV hotels in Cebu, the GV Tower hotel is their flagship hotel and prices are much more expensive there than at other GV hotels throughout the country (mostly Visayas). The one at Lapu Lapu is 700 for a double room, matrimonial bed, and aircon, though you can get rooms for cheaper than that there. GV hotels are not uniform and vary in price and quality of accommodation, an especially good one is the one in Mambajao, Camiguin, where the aircon with cable tv rooms are 530, and the fan rooms with local tv are 330. These are very good prices, for a tourist island.

WONINTWO
the one in Mambajao, Camiguin, w

I stayed at the GV in Camiguin before it changed hands('07?) and it is located right next to a really noisy basketball court.It was so bad I had to go somewhere else.It was a really tiny room and it was about P500-700,the dollar was up around 48:1 at the time so I did not really give a shit,BUT they should have told me the place was going to be un-inhabitable,coz it was! If anyone is going to stay there make sure it is not a weekend/festival or you want to be on the other side of the building where the noise will not affect your stay/sleep/movies.the side closest to the main island road is the side you definitely do not want to be on.Camiguin is slowly being ruined.Glad I got to spend time there five yrs. ago when it wasn't being developed as it is now.There is nowhere to put the people that the subdivisions in Mambajao are going to have in them.Garbage is showing up on the beaches,just like everywhere else...sad!All in the name of Progress!!!!

Justin Kredible

PRO TIP:

The cheapest overnight with decent amenities is gonna be a Jollibee.

Go in an hour before closing and order a soft-serve. Get "lost" in a broom closet on the way to the CR.

I like to recreate season 3 of Lost or the Battle of Agincourt and then do sketches with my traveler's box of Crayola 64 on the back of the paper placemats

It's like Night at the Museum

I tweak the softserve machines when I get bored of the action figure role-play. They put out 10% less product when I'm done so I reckon Jollibee ends up OWING me..

Serious awesomeness. Thanks, Boss.

• Like 1

udonthani

those prices (330 for fan, 530 for aircon) are 'promo' prices, but those are the basic price GV hotels always charge, unless there is a festival on. They didn't even up the prices for Christmas. I would guess the Lanzones festival is maybe the only time of year, that they don't charge the promo price.

yes they had some event, quite noisy, one of the times we stayed there too, but it didn't go on until like really late, besides I'm one of those people who aren't bothered by that sort of noise, so it wasn't uninhabitable for me. Also I have yet to meet a single Filipina who is especially bothered about noise either..

I've had similar experiences to that, in numerous other hotels and pension houses in the Philippines, you just can't expect them to 'warn' you about it as what is a intrusive noise to you, just doesn't concern them, at all and they'll basically think you are a weirdo if you complain about it.

bottom line is that Philippines is probably the noisiest country in the world. If you don't like it, don't go there.

I stayed at the GV in Camiguin before it changed hands('07?) and it is located right next to a really noisy basketball court.It was so bad I had to go somewhere else.It was a really tiny room and it was about P500-700,the dollar was up around 48:1 at the time so I did not really give a shit,BUT they should have told me the place was going to be un-inhabitable,coz it was! If anyone is going to stay there make sure it is not a weekend/festival or you want to be on the other side of the building where the noise will not affect your stay/sleep/movies.the side closest to the main island road is the side you definitely do not want to be on.Camiguin is slowly being ruined.Glad I got to spend time there five yrs. ago when it wasn't being developed as it is now.There is nowhere to put the people that the subdivisions in Mambajao are going to have in them.Garbage is showing up on the beaches,just like everywhere else...sad!All in the name of Progress!!!!

there too, but it didn't go on until

WONINTWO
had similar experiences to t

well maybe not in the philippines where you are only paying $15/night.if you were able to sleep thru the marching band,cheerleaders,refs whistle,shouting w/out a sedative it is no wonder you did not mind.the reason they do not up the prices is no one would stay there w/that shit going on.i would never recommend the place to anyone I like.I HAVE ALSO GROWN WISE TO THE NOISE ROUTINE AND ALWAYS ASK IF THERE IS CONSTRUCTION GOING ON,or any excessive noise that I will not want to hear, and if so,see ya!!!

The most arrogant noise case I ran into was 6 floors up in LAHUG,I can only imagine what it sounded like at ground level...holy shit!,....3am on a Saturday MORNING and a feckin marching band goes parading down the boulevard.Total disregard for ANYONE SLEEPING IN THE entire area.I did not have any bottles handy or I WOULD CERTAINLY HAVE CHUCKED A FEW OVER THE RAILING.call it arrogance on my part,but no way....rude is rude,and that was rudeness to an extreme only encountered here in the Phils.,coz its more fun!!!!never seen anything like that in my entire life,not in a densely populated city!

WONINTWO
think you are a weirdo i

i just saw this part,a WEIRDO? The people I was with were even more upset than I was,the shit was LOUD!!!they were filipino's too!!! and they were plenty concerned and pissed too!!! I DIDN'T PAY FOR ONE OF THE ROOMS,U KNO? the guy paid his hard earned P5-700 and got an ear full of shit,he was pissed.We left and I paid for the next place.I have met some people here who will get to complaining,and I am referring to Filipino's,not Kano's,especially when their money is involved.

Paul

LOL. Bunch of Cheap Charlie's. :D

A_Simple_Man
they were filipino's too!!! and they were plenty concerned and pissed too!

Perhaps I hold the record for being the only foreigner, whose filipina neighbor gave him a written complaint for allowing Karaoke after 9pm on a weeknight when she was trying to sleep because she has to get up and go to work at 4 am. (Wife singing on magic sing at 9:30 pm)

There are a few who get pissed about it. But then, she's a weirdo too.

SkyMan
The cheapest overnight with decent amenities is gonna be a Jollibee.
Do they offer a free midnight buffet?

udonthani

obviously there are exceptions but the default position for most Filipinos seems to be that if there isn't some sort of racket going on, then something's wrong. Why is it so quiet? It's suspicious.

Mr.T

I don't like the cheap rooms in Cebu

broden

I don't like the cheap rooms in Cebu

ever since Hannibal died the rest of the A-Team have become prima donnas

• Like 3

freespirit

somebody should try it out because 350 is very cheap for aircon room with own CR, in fact I don't know any aircon room in Cebu for under 500 except GV hotel in Lapu Lapu for 420, but that has shared CR, Mcsherry Pension House, on Pelaez Street, has quite nice fan rooms for 380, but aircon is 550. Another cheapie is La Guardia Hotel or with quite spacious aircon rooms with CR, TV and even hot water, that's on Osmena Boulevard, also 550.

wow.. i never thought there could be rooms this cheap in the city.

A_Simple_Man

Keep in mind we are talking about the very minimum standards that the majority of foreigners could put up with and the rates mentioned here are usually Promo rates that you have to negotiate for and the room will likely have ant, cockroach, rat and/or noise problems.

Then again, the room may be excellent, but be prepared just in case. I bring my own bug spray.

udonthani

Cebu city accommodation is not cheap at all compared to places like Thailand and Cambodia, this is one of the first things that people who are familiar with those places, notice the first time they come to the Philippines. The high prices that the vendors want, for often poor quality accommodation, can be a shock to some first-timers to the Philippines. You can get a much better room for this kind of money, in an equivalent Thai city, like Chiang Mai or Udon Thani, than Cebu.

• Like 1