Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Traveling Within 3 To 4 Flying Hours From The Philippines...

miles-high

I am one of those who have been to many countries/cities around the world but many of my visits were as short as stopping at an airport cafeteria, sleep at the airport hotel or sometimes only to use CR… <_<

I don’t really know what the neighboring countries and cities offer as far as the local cuisine (most important ;)), cultural excursions and night life… particularly with your Filipina companion… :)

Your recommendation as to where we could visit and enjoy for a short 2, 3 day trip would be appreciated. :angel:

KennyF

Bangkok is a must and so easy to get to.

Saigon, Phnom Penh, Georgetown, Kuala Lumpur.

There's heaps to choose from and as long as you plan ahead it's quite cheap.

Fly to BKK then 23 hour overnight sleeper train down to Georgetown, then Singapore and fly back.

KonGC

• Like 1

Chris24

Miles-high, I'm in somewhat of the same boat as you are in that I've seen more countries through the glass of an airport window than I have with boots (or tsinelas) on the ground. One of the many things that attracts me to Cebu is its position as a regional hub for air travel. My short list of places I intend to visit if I ever make Cebu by base include:

Thailand (several cities, cuisine galore)

Hong Kong (expensive but global cuisine)

Macau ( I suspect it's probably not for me but I want to see it just once)

Singapore

Vietnam (I am retired military who enlisted 11 years after the end of that particular war but want to see it. And of course sample the coffee and the French-Asian fusion of culture and cuisine)

Cambodia (temples)

Indonesia

India (might pass on that one)

Australia (diving the Great Barrier Reef)

Paul

I just posted the other day in a thread, you could fly from Manila to Siem Reap direct, and visit the temples there with a three day pass (from what I have been told), or fly down to Sihanoukville for some beach time - and see me. :D

goggleye

last july my sweetie and i went to Kota Kinabalu in Sabah Malaysia on the north side of Borneo - we had a great time - you can take Cebu Pacific from Manila - im not sure if there is a direct flight from Cebu- we stayed at the Gaya Centre Hotel - nice place.

• Like 1

Skywalker

"One of the many things that attracts me to Cebu is its position as a regional hub for air travel."

Unfortunately CebuPacific should be called ManilaPacific, because trust me, Cebu is not a hub. You still have to fly to Manila to get international flights, with very few exceptions.

• Like 2

spritsail

Maybe better to explore some of the beautiful areas of the Philippines -Palawan (South, West, North and east coasts). the islands of the Visayas, - marinduque, Leyte and Biliran, Mindoro, panay, Negros etc. The rice terraces and mountains of Luzon, the southern pearl islands in the Sulu sea - Tawi Tawi (Sibutu) etc., afterall there are 7000 islands in the Philippines and you have probably only visited one of them.

• Like 2

Headshot

"One of the many things that attracts me to Cebu is its position as a regional hub for air travel."

Unfortunately CebuPacific should be called ManilaPacific, because trust me, Cebu is not a hub. You still have to fly to Manila to get international flights, with very few exceptions.

While that is true, a new airline is just starting up here in Cebu (I believe with Cebu as its main hub). If I understood the ad on the radio correctly, the new airline is called Aman Airlines, and it will have direct flights to quite a lot of places around the Philippines, including Boracay. That means you will no longer have to fly through Manila to get to Boracay. They mentioned several destinations, but I don't remember them all. I believe they mentioned Iloilo and Tacloban as well as Boracay. They are still hiring cabin crew, so I'm not sure when operations will actually start.

Edited by Headshot

Ken Oath

If you want to visit a different destination you can take advantage of the cheap Tiger air flights from Cebu to Singapore, then the same airline to Medan, Sumatra - Indonesia.

Medan is a bit of a smokey city but they have 4-5star hotels at a great price, excellent restaurants, golfing and shopping, and it's about 2.5 hrs to Lake Toba which is a volcanic crater ( the largest in the world), with Somosir island on the lake, very nice cool climate, hot springs, water falls and great culture of the Batak people ( Christians).

There are many other places to visit on Sumatra, there are the orangutans just north of Medan (Bukit Lawang) or good diving and excellent surfing on the west coast islands.

post-6353-0-34155800-1341569295_thumb.jpg

post-6353-0-33297400-1341569436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ken Oath
  • Like 3

Skywalker

" That means you will no longer have to fly through Manila to get to Boracay. "

Erm, CebuPacific does fly direct from Cebu to Boracay already Headshot.

• Like 2

Headshot

Thanks. When I looked at their schedule, all I saw between here and Boracay was through Manila. Maybe their flights from Cebu were sold out.

I see now the have two flights each day in each direction. One is an early morning flight and one is a mid-day flight.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

SkyMan

Anyone done Palau? I've looked at airfares and seem steep but might be interesting. Recommendations?

• Like 1

miles-high

I have been there many times but only to the airport/nearby eateries… ;) But my friends including a member of the “Royal Family” tells me the Japan Airlines Hotel is the place to stay… :D

http://www.jalhotels.com/palau/

mexiwi

As does AirPhil Express

I took my girly to Hong Kong last month, she loved it.

Vietnam is on the list too, although not direct from Cebu.

Singapore I might do too.

Skywalker

You took your 'girly' direct to HK from Cebu?

Oh, just checked their site. They fly directly to Hong Kong and Singapore, as well as KL.

I just wish there was a direct flight to Bangkok from Cebu.

Edited by Skywalker