Wrong Stamp In My Passport

desertjon

I previously posted here about being given a Balikbayan stamp in my passport but Im single and have never been married..I took this issue up with Immigration and told them I want to convert the Balikbayan stamp to a tourist visa and I was told they cannot help me because I am listed in their system as a legal Balikbayan status and they will not convert it..It expires in one year but I dont qualify for the stamp..I am hoping when it expires they will convert it..I also told them I was charged $100 usd for the stamp at the airport and their response was "Why did you pay the $100?" It is free and offered no further help..I still need to find out when the Balikbayan stamp expires if I have to leave the country and return..Some say yes and some say no..Bottom line..I do not have to report back to Immigration for a year

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skywalker

• Woolf

• desertjon

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put your story and your desire to change the erronously give status into a letter and when they still refuse to change your status, have it signed by them. Ask kindly for an appointment with the Commi

When my wife and I were leaving for Singapore via Cebu we were told by a immigration desk guy to come back to his desk on our return and he would give us a years visa for a similar amount! Highly ille

You do not have to leave when the stamp expires. Just stay. On the date it expires, that will start your "tourist visa" stay, automatically. Within the next 21 days, go to your nearest BOI office and

Stranded Shipscook

I previously posted here about being given a Balikbayan stamp in my passport but Im single and have never been married..I took this issue up with Immigration and told them I want to convert the Balikbayan stamp to a tourist visa and I was told they cannot help me because I am listed in their system as a legal Balikbayan status and they will not convert it..It expires in one year but I dont qualify for the stamp..I am hoping when it expires they will convert it..I also told them I was charged $100 usd for the stamp at the airport and their response was "Why did you pay the $100?" It is free and offered no further help..I still need to find out when the Balikbayan stamp expires if I have to leave the country and return..Some say yes and some say no..Bottom line..I do not have to report back to Immigration for a year

Put your story and your desire to change the erronously give status into a letter and when they still refuse to change your status, have it signed by them. Ask kindly for an appointment with the Commisioner if necessary.

• Like 1
hookedtothenet

When my wife and I were leaving for Singapore via Cebu we were told by a immigration desk guy to come back to his desk on our return and he would give us a years visa for a similar amount! Highly illegal of course, just another corrupt official bringing the country down. Needless to say we avoided his booth on our return and didn't take him up on his offer. This was back when I was on a tourist visa.

Anyway, what's done is done and you have tried to inform the authorities, but with all the saving you will be making by not going to the immigration to sign on you should have enough for a quick exit visa run (as it were) and be back to then become a legit tourist again ;)

• Like 1
desertjon

If I leave the country when the Balikbayan stamp is due to expire..wont I be required to have an exit clearance?..Several people have told me Balikbayans dont have to have an exit clearance..

Paul

You do not have to leave when the stamp expires. Just stay. On the date it expires, that will start your "tourist visa" stay, automatically. Within the next 21 days, go to your nearest BOI office and pay for the 38 day extension.

• Like 1
Headshot

what's done is done and you have tried to inform the authorities, but with all the saving you will be making by not going to the immigration to sign on you should have enough for a quick exit visa run (as it were) and be back to then become a legit tourist again

I think that's what I would do as well. You already tried to get it fixed and they said NO. Just plan a trip to Bangkok for a week just before your BB stamp expires. The money you save by having the BB stamp will more than pay for your airfare to and from Bangkok. Remember you have to have an onward ticket to someplace when you fly back to the Philippines. Then, when you re-enter the Philippines on your return, get in the regular tourist line in Immigration at the airport. If they see the BB stamp and ask where your wife is, just tell them you traveling alone and they should just give you the regular tourist stamp. Don't tell them you aren't married unless you want problems with Immigration. If they offer you another BB stamp, just say NO.

• Like 1
Headshot

I don't believe a BB stamp requires any exit clearance, but then I never had a BB stamp, so I don't really know for sure. Maybe Ancienrocka can jump in and say for sure. However, if you are going to be staying in the Philippines on a tourist visa, you should get used to leaving the country about once a year for a visa run anyway. Unless the go through the process for an extension, the tourist visa is only good for 16 months anyway, and then you need to leave the country and re-enter.

• Like 1
philuk

no you dont need exit clearence for a BB stamp, I just came back to the UK after a one month stay on a BB stamp in my passport, and they just check your passport as normal when you leave,

• Like 1
desertjon

Everyone here..who has replied to my post have been a tremendous help..I know there is corruption in virtually every country to some degree..but this is my first experience..and hopefully the last..God Bless

philuk

by the time you use up that BB stamp you will witness a few more examples, that you can be sure of

• Like 1
Nangulo

Balikbayan stamp is good for one year. You can leave earlier if you want and when you're stamped out of the country, the visa is terminated.

No exit clearance is required as long as you'r on the balikbayan stamp.

If you stay the year and remain, the day the balikbayan stamp expires is the day your tourist visa starts. You have 21 days from that time, and then you have to renew or leave. If/when you decide to leave the country after your balikbayan stamp exipres, you WILL need an exit clearance.

dc3driver

I think that's what I would do as well. You already tried to get it fixed and they said NO. Just plan a trip to Bangkok for a week just before your BB stamp expires. The money you save by having the BB stamp will more than pay for your airfare to and from Bangkok. Remember you have to have an onward ticket to someplace when you fly back to the Philippines. Then, when you re-enter the Philippines on your return, get in the regular tourist line in Immigration at the airport. If they see the BB stamp and ask where your wife is, just tell them you traveling alone and they should just give you the regular tourist stamp. Don't tell them you aren't married unless you want problems with Immigration. If they offer you another BB stamp, just say NO.

I have never been asked to show an onward ticket either by the airlines (Korean & Delta) or by immigration. That being said, some airlines will want to see proof of onward travel before letting one board. Throwaya or refundable tickets work in that case. A BB visa is single entry only, if you leave, you may be given a 21 day visa on return.

easy44

I have never been asked to show an onward ticket either by the airlines (Korean & Delta) or by immigration. That being said, some airlines will want to see proof of onward travel before letting one board. Throwaya or refundable tickets work in that case. A BB visa is single entry only, if you leave, you may be given a 21 day visa on return.

It used to be that the ongoing ticket was only necessary to enter the country, and wasn't needed to extend your visa. They are now asking for an ongoing ticket to extend as well, so if you buy a throw away ticket that expires before you leave the country you might be required to buy another one to extend your visa.

SkyMan

It used to be that the ongoing ticket was only necessary to enter the country, and wasn't needed to extend your visa. They are now asking for an ongoing ticket to extend as well, so if you buy a throw away ticket that expires before you leave the country you might be required to buy another one to extend your visa.

Has this been confirmed? I know Paul Whiteway made a thread to that effect some time back but I don't think he was able to confirm it. Just askin'
easy44

Has this been confirmed? I know Paul Whiteway made a thread to that effect some time back but I don't think he was able to confirm it. Just askin'

Yeah, it's confirmed by me! LOL

I was asked for an ongoing ticket when I applied for an extension last month. Fortunately the guy that handles my extensions worked for BI before and was able to push it through without the ticket. Others might not be so lucky, or maybe they already changed the policy again. Things change so much at BI that you never know what's current.