Printing Business

JohnSurrey

Hello...

I'm thinking of investing in one of the family, pillar of the community with job, and starting a small printing business...

Printing seems to do ok here in Leyte and the guy is well connected so... for 120,000 p ... take a punt...

Anyway, I know a little about printing ... I was planning to set up a company say 50-50 to start and then give the guy more and more of the equity as things develop... if they do... he'll do the work and I'll keep the books

Anyone like to share their thoughts - not sure if escalating equity is the way to go - what do you guys do when investing?

Thanks

Brucewayne

Actual ownership has to be 60% Filipino and anything less has to be done under the table.

Just don't broadcast it if you do go to 50/50.

I would put it in my wife's name and let her do the 50/50 signing, watching her every move so things stay on an even keel.

If you intend to turn the entire business over to the Filipino, she can do that on a sliding schedule with nothing more than a notarized promissory note.

Edited by Brucewayne
Alan S

Printing can do OK, and if you can latch on to one of the niche markets, can make really good profits.

Like most businesses, it all depends upon the people running it, and that is something that none of us can comment on.

The exact percentage owned is unimportant. You can control a business with mimimal equite, or not control it with the majority.

Just do whatever suits you (and the guy running it) provided you keep within the law.

ozboy

Ok...yes printing can do ok as ive set up my son-inlaw with very basic gear but he is also very computer savy! Next thing is getting the word out as we live in the province n the family is reasonably known. Here in Ph there is just about everything that needs some sort of print out...eg IDs, photocopys in triplicate for just about anything n the quality here is just so so....He has lots of customers but the return is small for his operation......but ive been in the industry for since i left school n the real big bikkies is in large format....but that needs capitol....but small but daily bread n butter yes its better than a sari sari or int cafe....

JohnSurrey

Thanks ... 60% eh ...

So me 40% ... and wife 10% and the wife's brother 50% is ok ?

Is it ok to do the shares like 1000 peso and then me give a loan for the real cash investment ?

Runian

Thanks ... 60% eh ...

So me 40% ... and wife 10% and the wife's brother 50% is ok ?

Is it ok to do the shares like 1000 peso and then me give a loan for the real cash investment ?

yeah 40 - 10 - 50 is ok

loan .. got to resist unnngh urge making a punt on loaning to family here ... aaargh so hard

Rune

Stranded Shipscook

Well, you could also think about buying owning the whole equipment as a separate entity or private person.

And then make "equipment lease contracts" and other security measures in case the thing breaks up.

meaning, when the troubles are too much, you still own the equipment and can pull out legally without any consequences for your investmens.

However, your wife is always owning conjugal, if no arrangements have been made. (That can be also "hairy" in a corporation)

good to consult a lawyer/CPA in that matter first.

• Like 1
USMC-Retired

Printing is a good business to get into. I am not sure what type of printing you plan to do. What has happen with computers coming so cheap in price. People can not afford a printer and ink is so expensive. So they still pay for things to be printed.

Couple of things to remember people will not always have a thumb drive. Some will even bring in a 3.5 to be printed. So just be prepared. I would install in you computer a 3.5, blue tooth and infra red. Along with the types of micro sd cards. Thus you can ensure to cover all bases.

For the the most part you can buy a continuous ink printer (CIS) for 4K and the ink is very cheap. I do not know where you say 120K but to me it is a little on the high end unless you are going to print banners/tarpolines.

Example I printed 20 full color pages photo quality on my CIS barely used any ink at all. However the tanks are easy to refill and ink is cheap. What I do recommend is who ever is going to use this get some experience with Photo Shop or Gimp Shop. Thus they can edit and cut and paste. Microsoft Publisher is another program to get some experience with. The big thing is practice. (Phil will attest to the quality of the print)

Last thing that you should add is a Laser Black/White printer and copier. You would be amazed at the amount of just pure black and white copies they will use. It can add a significant amount of money. Brother makes a good money for 6,000 pesos and cartridges cost 4,000 pesos or refill for 2,000 pesos. The refill does not last as long they are good for about 1/2 the pages. I do not remember the usage but if you go to so you want an internet cafe in business section I have a break down of how many pages per cartridge.

John here is what I think your costs should be:

Printer CIS - 4,000 pesos

Black White Laser - 6,000 pesos

Computer - 12,000 pesos

Programs - Free open source (open office and Gimp shop)

Paper - 1,200 pesos.

short

long

Photo short

Photo long

Remember that paper will go to crap if it very humid so you must keep in cool dry place. Or buy desiccant packets to stick in the box as I did.

Also I forgot one thing that can add to the business is get some one that can encode. Many may not have a computer at home yet the School wants typed pages so they hand write it. You can charge per page of encoding. Normally is is about 15 pesos per page with printing. So keep that also in mind.

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 1

Nice info Norseman! Was thinking about this as a business myself. By the way, which brand makes continuous ink printers?

USMC-Retired

I have an Epson Stylus T13. It does an awesome job. Now the thing is you will waste a few pages as you get the color right. I had to adjust down the magenta because everything was a tad red. But now it prints just like the screen.

070856400_070409842a2d31eea35668eed7cff844649a7c3f5099db424.jpg

My Brother Printer was a MFC7400 printer. Seemed to do the job for me. One thing I did not add was this was a color scanner also. So when they bring a color photo you can scan it and make then reprint it in color. Just awesome.

brother-mfc7420.jpg

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the info! I do a lot of work like this at present (printing, scanning, DTP stuff, etc) and was wondering if I could do the same in Cebu - now with this thread I know I can!!

You know, this forum is great for finding help or advice, particularly when people like myself are out of the country. If wore a hat, I'd tip it to all you guys and girls.

Thanks again.

JohnSurrey

Thanks Norseman - that's really helpful - Yes the reason the costs are higher are because he knows how to do the banners and things like that... the other run-of-the-mill high volume - smaller personal type of work is something I was thinking my wife would be able to handle if things worked out ok...

Just one thing - encoding ... that means just typing up things I presume?

USMC-Retired

Just one thing - encoding ... that means just typing up things I presume?

yes