[Resolved] Any members have knowledge in construction of houses...

easy44

THESE ARE THE ONES THAT SUGGEST THE HOUSE IS TILTING TO ONE SIDE THE MISSING DOORS MAYBE THEY WOULD NOT CLOSE AND WERE REMOVED /// BULGING WINDOW SEALS .... CRACKING ON THE CEILINGS ALL SIGNS OF SETTLING THE FRONT DOOR HAS A BIG PIMPLE LIKE BULGE IN THE MIDDLE AND ITS A METAL DOOR HUMMMMMMTHAT WATER IN THE OVERFLOW ITS TILTED TO ONE SIDE ,, THIS IS A 20 YEAR ROOF BUT ITS CRACKING AT 10 YEARS IT COULD ALSO BE SETTLING AS ITS A CEMENT ROOF..

Interior

170. Doors

Unsatisfactory. Noted missing door at hall closet. Damaged door noted at guest bedroom. Door sticks at guest bedroom.

171. Windows

Unsatisfactory. Noted bulging thermal seals at kitchen/bathrooms. Recommend qualified window contractor inspect all windows and repair as needed.

172. Walls

Unsatisfactory. Cracking noted on interior walls/ceilings indicate settlement; recommend further review if client is concerned. Noted many scratches, patches and dings throughout house.

174. Floors

Unsatisfactory. Areas of cracked/missing grout. Noted cracked tile at family room. Typical stains.

Simple solution. Either have a survey (or estimate) done by someone you trust - or don't buy it. Why discuss it here, unless you just have nothing else to do?

Edited by easy44
Davaoeno
Why discuss it here,

Why not ? Anyone who isnt interested just can ignore this thread !!

• Like 1
smokey

i saw easy was dissed on the other forum so he is real prissy right now...

• Like 1
Bill H

Yeah maybe, but you gotta admire is avatar ya' know?

I for one think the thread is just fine, but sometimes the tendency here is to :beatdeadhorse:so get a contractor to give you bids or hire me to build you a barge suitable for floating the house. Your choice! LOL

Bill

easy44

Very true!

easy44

Yeah, that really bothers me! LOL

Headshot

THESE ARE THE ONES THAT SUGGEST THE HOUSE IS TILTING TO ONE SIDE THE MISSING DOORS MAYBE THEY WOULD NOT CLOSE AND WERE REMOVED /// BULGING WINDOW SEALS .... CRACKING ON THE CEILINGS ALL SIGNS OF SETTLING THE FRONT DOOR HAS A BIG PIMPLE LIKE BULGE IN THE MIDDLE AND ITS A METAL DOOR HUMMMMMMTHAT WATER IN THE OVERFLOW ITS TILTED TO ONE SIDE ,, THIS IS A 20 YEAR ROOF BUT ITS CRACKING AT 10 YEARS IT COULD ALSO BE SETTLING AS ITS A CEMENT ROOF..

Interior

170. Doors

Unsatisfactory. Noted missing door at hall closet. Damaged door noted at guest bedroom. Door sticks at guest bedroom.

171. Windows

Unsatisfactory. Noted bulging thermal seals at kitchen/bathrooms. Recommend qualified window contractor inspect all windows and repair as needed.

172. Walls

Unsatisfactory. Cracking noted on interior walls/ceilings indicate settlement; recommend further review if client is concerned. Noted many scratches, patches and dings throughout house.

174. Floors

Unsatisfactory. Areas of cracked/missing grout. Noted cracked tile at family room. Typical stains.

Looking at the report and the pitures, I would say that Ian's take on this is pretty much right on. The builders threw this home together and shimped everyplace they could. ALL houses settle to some degree, and a little settling is no big concern...provided it is NOT still settling. Provided it isn't continuing to settle, walls can be patched, doors and windows can be adjusted to fit.

Broken floor tiles might indicate that the tile setters didn't use good quality (or enough) thinset (or didn't install a good unlayment system to prevent floor flex) when they laid the tiles. When voids in the thinset are left under the tiles, putting weight on a tile will sometimes crack it. The fact that there is cracked and missing grout supports the possibility that poor quality thinset (or underlayment) was used. When tiles lose their adhesion, something was done wrong. Floor tiles should be pretty much permanent if laid properly.

The picture of the broken bar tile on the roof worries me the most. The overlap should be 50%, but from the picture, they clearly used a 25% overlap. That leaves voids under the bar tiles, and if somebody walks on the roof, their weight can break tiles (as has happened in this case (the tile broke over a void).

So, all in all I would say that poor materials and poor installation is probably a bigger concern with this house than settling. While it is possible that settling could be ongoing, it is more likely that repairs that would have been easy early on just weren't made. The poor quality material and installation problems you can see are likely just the tip of the iceberg. If they skimped in the floor and roof tiles, they likely skimped everyplace else as well. I would pass on this house. To have real value there, you might have to basically rebuild it.

Edited by Headshot
smokey

Looking at the report and the pitures, I would say that Ian's take on this is pretty much right on. The builders threw this home together and shimped everyplace they could. ALL houses settle to some degree, and a little settling is no big concern...provided it is NOT still settling. Provided it isn't continuing to settle, walls can be patched, doors and windows can be adjusted to fit.

Broken floor tiles might indicate that the tile setters didn't use good quality (or enough) thinset (or didn't install a good unlayment system to prevent floor flex) when they laid the tiles. When voids in the thinset are left under the tiles, putting weight on a tile will sometimes crack it. The fact that there is cracked and missing grout supports the possibility that poor quality thinset (or underlayment) was used. When tiles lose their adhesion, something was done wrong. Floor tiles should be pretty much permanent if laid properly.

The picture of the broken bar tile on the roof worries me the most. The overlap should be 50%, but from the picture, they clearly used a 25% overlap. That leaves voids under the bar tiles, and if somebody walks on the roof, their weight can break tiles (as has happened in this case (the tile broke over a void).

So, all in all I would say that poor materials and poor installation is probably a bigger concern with this house than settling. While it is possible that settling could be ongoing, it is more likely that repairs that would have been easy early on just weren't made. The poor quality material and installation problems you can see are likely just the tip of the iceberg. If they skimped in the floor and roof tiles, they likely skimped everyplace else as well. I would pass on this house. To have real value there, you might have to basically rebuild it.

yes i agree and think i will pass i already have another house here which is ok... the neighborhood is so so but at least in arizona you can have a home cannon ... i think the cost will just be an on going concern and case closed if you want to lock it that is fine... my wife liked the house more then me she was thinking free food ....