Fiancee was robbed & K1 Visa stolen - What to do?

First of all, Cebuned it's GREAT to see you back!!!!!

Steve, since Ned initially had thoughts in the same direction as many of us here, I don't feel so bad about bringing it up. But I do feel badly for you and Jing, so let me know if I can help!

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• singersp

• Bob Ward

• Cebuned

• Lee

on Monday she was robbed of the bag she was carrying. In it was her approved K-1 Visa along with her passport, her engagement ring & about 8,000 pesos for traveling.

This makes all sorts of bells and whistles go off in my head.

Good luck.

I've told her when she travels into Cebu City not to wear her ring. She took it off, put it in her wallet & put her & her mothers wallet in her bag thinking it was safe & out of site.

I am the petitioner for fiancee & she is from Sagay, Cebu, Philippines. We have been through the K-1 Fianc
Edited by singersp
She does not have a US passport. She will have a Philippine passport with a US Visa stamped in it. Also, a sealed envelope to be opened at her USA POE.

Billy

As others have said, contacting the Embassy is so very important and it should have been done immediately.

A US passport with a visa and all the necessary stamps could have been sold for a lot of money to people who might use it for God knows what evil purpose once they have changed the picture. I hate to tell you this, but if someone else uses her stolen passport to enter the USA before it is reported and flagged, when she tries to enter the US on her new passport, it could be her who sits in jail or is returned to the Philippines until the government sorts out the mess.

That is correct. They only got the Passport with the Visa. The sealed envelope she still has at home

I am the petitioner for fiancee & she is from Sagay, Cebu, Philippines. We have been through the K-1 Fianc
Yes being Cebuned's niece is a definate shot in the arm regarding credibility.

But like you Paul, I have seen family members vary greatly in character.

The main reasons I feel negative about this are the timing and the fact that everything was stolen. Why would she be carrying the visa around with her? Why would several other things be stolen at the same time? Why wouldn't the mother have more knowledge about what safety measures to take in the city?

All that being said, I hope that we are all wrong and my offer to help still stands without reservation!

Either way, it's not the end of the world. Maybe help your GF a little bit in sorting things out. Long distance calls to the Philippines are no problem or just follow the procedure on the embassy web site.

Embassies are impossible to get ahold of when it comes to immigration matters but fax works just fine. They usually call back within one day if the matter requires it. BTW, it is not the consulate section to issue visas.

I am curious to know how it took 2 days for her to let you know about the incident and if you heard about it earlier what you have done so far. Doesn't sound as if you have done anything.

Due to the time difference even more time has gone by since.

Anyway, sorry to hear and I hope things will work out.

It didn't take two days. She contacted me via the internet cafe the following day. She cried the entire night before & feared to tell me. She was with Ned's sister in law Merci & had gone to the DFA & were going to the CFO to ask for advice. I then called the airline & cancelled the flight, searched the internet for answers, called the USCIS here & have sent off 3 e-mails. One to [email protected], one to [email protected] (which is the e-mail address to report lost/stolen Visas to at the Embassy to the United States in Manila) & one to [email protected] She has also been trying to phone them with no luck getting thru. I also started the thread here as well but didn't until the day after she told me.

Ned, it's great to see you again!

You truly are being missed by LINC forum members!

Anyway, will she be able to re schedule her trip if ever everything will be found? Will the embassy cancel right away her visa or a time-frame is given for it to be retrieved? Why not try tri-media announcements and ask to return only the important documents and just buy one sim pack (new cel number) to be notified or contacted in case.

My friend has experienced being robbed in Carmen market in CDO 5 months ago. She did the same and after 2 days her belongings minus the cash were found in the church.

Just a suggestion in case you have not tried this.

singersp, I hate to say it, but I'm skeptical as well. Please be cautious about these things. The case Bob is referring to is listed here: Jackelyn

Whenever a Filipina says she was robbed, depending on the circumstances of course, I become suspicious. For example, taxi drivers are not in the habit of robbing passengers. In many cases, Filipinas would not be robbed if with at least one other person.

Either way, your questions have been answered, and quite well I may add.

I wish you the best.

------------

Wait. Bob, Ned's neice? Ned? Cebu Ned?

Yes, CebuNed's niece. I regard Ned as my best friend & met him two years ago in Minnesota when he came to see a Vikings game. He told me how great Filipinos were & how much he loved Cebu & had a house there. It started out with Ned inviting me to go with him on his next visit to Philipines. I agreed & after sometime he thought it would be nice if I started e-mailing his niece so I would have someone I got to know before I went over there.

We started with e-mails back & forth in February of 2006 & I could tell she was very shy. Eventually we started chatting via the computer & fell in love. During that time she never asked me for money at any time. I started sending her some pesos once a month to continue to chat on line while she was working & living in Cebu City for 6 months since her salary barely paid the rent & food. I went to visit & stay with Ned & Margie for two weeks during that time & eventually went to visit her last March for 2 weeks. When I came back, I began the paperwork for the Fiance Visa & joined here. Ned is the one who suggested I join months prior.

She is a shy & naive girl & one both Ned & I wouldn't consider a scammer by any sense of the word. She is from a small Baranguay near Toledo City. Only two or three times did she ever ask for money from me in almost two years & it was always difficult for her to ask even then. Twice was for medicine when she came down with jungle fever.

She is totally devastated by this incident & has been chastised by her family for being foolish enough to carry around her passport. She wants to be with me now & is having difficulty accepting the fact that it will take time to redo what has been done.

I think the reason for the chastising is the same thing that set of my alarm. I did not really get the sense that it was a scam, but cold feet. Anyway, good thing we were wrong and that they were not hurt. The rest is all fixable and or replaceable. I know you two are disappointed and we all feel for you both. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Edited by Bob Ward
singersp, I hate to say it, but I'm skeptical as well. Please be cautious about these things. The case Bob is referring to is listed here: Jackelyn

Whenever a Filipina says she was robbed, depending on the circumstances of course, I become suspicious. For example, taxi drivers are not in the habit of robbing passengers. In many cases, Filipinas would not be robbed if with at least one other person.

Either way, your questions have been answered, and quite well I may add.

I wish you the best.

------------

Wait. Bob, Ned's neice? Ned? Cebu Ned?

Yes, CebuNed's niece. I regard Ned as my best friend & met him two years ago in Minnesota when he came to see a Vikings game. He told me how great Filipinos were & how much he loved Cebu & had a house there. It started out with Ned inviting me to go with him on his next visit to Philipines. I agreed & after sometime he thought it would be nice if I started e-mailing his niece so I would have someone I got to know before I went over there.

We started with e-mails back & forth in February of 2006 & I could tell she was very shy. Eventually we started chatting via the computer & fell in love. During that time she never asked me for money at any time. I started sending her some pesos once a month to continue to chat on line while she was working & living in Cebu City for 6 months since her salary barely paid the rent & food. I went to visit & stay with Ned & Margie for two weeks during that time & eventually went to visit her last March for 2 weeks. When I came back, I began the paperwork for the Fiance Visa & joined here. Ned is the one who suggested I join months prior.

She is a shy & naive girl & one both Ned & I wouldn't consider a scammer by any sense of the word. She is from a small Baranguay near Toledo City. Only two or three times did she ever ask for money from me in almost two years & it was always difficult for her to ask even then. Twice was for medicine when she came down with jungle fever.

She is totally devastated by this incident & has been chastised by her family for being foolish enough to carry around her passport. She wants to be with me now & is having difficulty accepting the fact that it will take time to redo what has been done.

Steve,

The most important thing you can do right now has nothing to do with contacting embassy's, making sure Jing get's her papers replaced, wondering about replacing stolen jewelry, or worrying about how much this tragedy will set you both back. The most important thing you can do right now is Support, and continue to let Jing know just how much you love her and that you are there for her no matter what........Then again, I know you and your kind, loving, and careing personality, I probably didn't even have to tell you this to begin with......

You both are always in our prayers and I feel great sorrow for you both having to go thru this.

I'm here for you both always if I can help in any way..

Sincerely,

Ned

CaptainJackson
I've told her when she travels into Cebu City not to wear her ring. She took it off, put it in her wallet ......... thinking it was safe & out of site.

Good thinking.

..... If you have the exact location of the crime, I will be glad to check out the police precincts to validate the matter for you......

Bob

She was robbed outside of Santo Nino church in Cebu City & reported it to the Police station there on Waterfront.

..... If you have the exact location of the crime, I will be glad to check out the police precincts to validate the matter for you......

Bob

She was robbed outside of Santo Nino church in Cebu City & reported it to the Police station there on Waterfront.

This doesn't help anything, but God, how I wish I was standing near them when this happened, and the scum didn't realize these are my relatives.......Then again, I'de probably get put in jail myself for what I'de do to them......

Steve, did you get a copy of the police report yet?.....I"de like to see it for myself......

Edited by Cebuned
I've told her when she travels into Cebu City not to wear her ring. She took it off, put it in her wallet ......... thinking it was safe & out of site.

Good thinking.

I told her to leave it at home or put it in her pocket, not her wallet.