Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen ll / UFC 148 - Sunday

Beserker101

Beserker101

If Sonnen manages to win, it will cause some chaos in the division. The belt will probably get passed around rapidly as Sonnen has zero submission defense, and there are a few good submission guys hanging around. Regardless, I see Silva retiring after he wins, as I doubt he will fight Jones.

zero submission defense & his stand-up basically sucks ...

your retirement scenario is probably accurate, hopefully Dana & the Fertitta's will tempt both fighters

with an astronomical $$$, .. the ppv numbers would dwarf Velasquez vs dos Santos ll or any other

mma event -

I was simply shocked that Sonnen was able to land some crude basic 101 punches on the Spider,

I believe this one of those fights that will not live up to the hype, however, I certainly hope I am wrong.

agreed on the 101 punches, I've seen Chael use that dumbass overhand casting punch (-ala- Fedor)

in his last two matches > bad idea for this rematch imo -

... considering the co-main is a snoozer & Cote vs Le could end in the 1st round, I'm hoping Anderson

& Sonnen have solid game-plans that will make for a competitive fight -

> looking forward to Guillard vs Camoes & Stun Gun vs Maia

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beserker101

• MarinePride

• littlePP

• Justin Kredible

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol - I see what you did there !  

If Sonnen manages to win, it will cause some chaos in the division. The belt will probably get passed around rapidly as Sonnen has zero submission defense, and there are a few good submission guys han

I was simply shocked that Sonnen was able to land some crude basic 101 punches on the Spider, which opened a lot up for him the rest of the way, and I do not see that happening again this fight. Of co

the.lone.gunman

Silva trained and fought with a cracked rib, I think it will be a different fight this time..... Silva by TKO in 3.

Beserker101

UFC 149 Facebook prelims starting now, 7:30am Sunday morning Cebu time -

Oliveira vs Izquierdo up first ...

the.lone.gunman

UFC 149 Facebook prelims starting now, 7:30am Sunday morning Cebu time -

Oliveira vs Izquierdo up first ...

how do you connect to watch ?
Beserker101

how do you connect to watch ?

sign-in to Facebook & enter UFC 148 or Sonnen vs Silva ll into the search engine & click the prelim tab-

its actually UFC 149 but Facebook fecked it up as usual ...

*** check that ^ I fecked up, it is 148 (too much rhum last night - lol)

Edited by Beserker101
Beserker101

I need to watch a slo-mo replay on the knee before commenting, .. another disappointing UFC title match imo -

Recap :

Round 1 : Yves Lavigne gives the signal, and we’re off. Sonnen comes straight across the cage and immediately takes Silva down. The crowd erupts. I wonder if they’ll even be able to hear the horn at the end of the round with all this noise. Sonnen works from the top with short strikes while Silva tries to create space to get up. Sonnen looks comfortable in Silva’s half-guard, but he’s got to work to avoid a stand-up. The crowd alternates between chants of ‘USA’ and ‘Silva.’ Sonnen postures up to strike and Silva looks for a minute like he might try for another triangle choke. Not this time. With a minute left in the first round, Sonnen slides through Silva’s half-guard and into full mount. He lays flat and spreads his weight out on Silva while working short elbows and palm strikes. There’s the horn, and Silva jogs back to his corner. MMA Fighting scores it 10-9 for Sonnen.

Round 2 : Again Sonnen charges straight across the cage and gets right in Silva’s face. Silva tries to dance away, but Sonnen clinches him up against the fence. Silva stalls out the takedown attempt and then pushes Sonnen back before stinging him with a right hand. Sonnen replies with a decent right of his own, but Silva seems unbothered. Spinning backfist by Sonnen, and Silva ducks under it to let him go tumbling into the fence and onto his butt. Silva stands over him, then launches what appears to be an illegal knee to the head of a downed Sonnen. Lavigne has nothing to say about it, and Silva continues pounding on Sonnen with punches as he covers up. Sonnen briefly gets to his feet, but goes down again and can find no answer for Silva’s torrent of strikes. Lavigne has seen enough, and he moves in to stop it. Silva’s still the champ.

MarinePride

I was a bit worried there in the first round of Silva vs. Sonnen, but Anderson pulled off his magic without fail in the second. Anytime Sonnen gets most fighters in that position they are pretty much just buying time until he finishes them, but that wasn't the case here. I'm an American, but I go with honor and graciousness, and those are something that Silva has in spades. Not to mention being the best there is at what he does.

I gotta give one bit of credit to Sonnen at the end when he said, "No one owes me anything". Sonnen said he would leave the UFC if defeated, I hope he is a man of his word.

Other than that, the fights were pretty much boring.

• Like 1
Beserker101

It was a legal knee to the chest, .. Chael tried a spinning back-fist, lost his balance & fell to the mat ,

Anderson capitolized w/ a knee to the chest & that was the beginning of the end -

Main Card

Anderson Silva def. Chael Sonnen via second-round TKO (live blog)

Forrest Griffin def. Tito Ortiz via unanimous decision (live blog)

Cung Le def. Patrick Cote via unanimous decision (live blog)

Demian Maia def. Dong Hyun Kim via first-round TKO (live blog)

Chad Mendes def. Cody McKenzie via first-round TKO (live blog)

Mike Easton def. Ivan Menjivar via unanimous decision (live blog)

Preliminary Card

Melvin Guillard def. Fabricio Camoes via unanimous decision (live blog)

Khabib Nurmagomedov def. Gleison Tibau via unanimous decision (live blog)

Constantinos Philippou def. Riki Fukuda via unanimous decision (live blog)

Shane Roller def. John Alessio via unanimous decision (live blog)

Rafaello Oliveira def. Yoislandy Izquierdo via unanimous decision (live blog)

littlePP

Silva looked a bit too keyed up, and dare I say, nervous, and came out too strong, as if he wanted to do something dramatic. Props to Sonnen for matching the intensity, he knew that was coming, and using Silva's over agression to once agiain land on top, eventually gaining full mount, where he did nothing. Sonnen simply lacks the pound for his ground.

How worried was Silva and being put on his back? The cheat wipes the pre fight vaseline from his face to his body, where we had a delay while it was wiped away before the start.

Respect lost for that bush league move.

Second round Silva avoids the takedowns, a key, both land a shot and Sonnen ends on his arse after some sort of spinner strike, when Silva comes in with a questionable knee, although on replay it does appear legal as it hits the body and not the head. Silva then puts Sonnen in where am I land, and the fight is over,

How weird was watching Griffin run from the cage with Dana White chasing him down, screaming "don't run Forrest!"

I'm telling you, Griffin is a punch drunk fighter who needs to step away from the cage. He has taken far too many solid shots and suffered I can't imagine how many concussions. The guy is smart, witty, funny and somewhat intelligent (in a non rocket scientist way), and I would hate to see him making monkey sounds when he is 50.

Beserker101

How weird was watching Griffin run from the cage with Dana White chasing him down, screaming "don't run Forrest!"

I'm telling you, Griffin is a punch drunk fighter who needs to step away from the cage. He has taken far too many solid shots and suffered I can't imagine how many concussions. The guy is smart, witty, funny and somewhat intelligent (in a non rocket scientist way), and I would hate to see him making monkey sounds when he is 50.

... that was the 3rd time Gump ran from the cage trying to avoid the post-fight interview, he was knocked down twice & td'd 3 times so he

obviously thought he lost the match, but the strike-stats favored Griffin > serious case of who gives a shit -

littlePP

... that was the 3rd time Gump ran from the cage trying to avoid the post-fight interview, he was knocked down twice & td'd 3 times so he

obviously thought he lost the match, but the strike-stats favored Griffin > serious case of who gives a shit -

From running from the interview, to giving it. :snap:

Haha, BTW, one fighter I have always enjoyed watching is Cung Le

Edited by littlePP
MarinePride

I can't wait to see how much the payouts are going to total for this event.

Beserker101

I can't wait to see how much the payouts are going to total for this event.

Ortiz & Gump got "Fight of the Night" ...

masondeadbody.gif

MarinePride

Ortiz & Gump got "Fight of the Night" ...

masondeadbody.gif

Those guys looked "old" in there, even though they aren't. Griffin is only 35, but he looks like he's been through the ringer. Tito is what, 37 and it just seems like he's been around forever. I look for Griffin to fight again, even though he isn't getting any better at it. He does give it his all though and that's what counts in my book. Nothing I hate more than a fighter holding back and being tactical, but that's what MMA at this level has evolved into.

An example of this is Josh Koscheck. He feels out his opponents by poking them in the eyes, all under the guisse of establishing his jab. In a real fight it just doesn't work that way, but wait, error on my part. This isn't REALLY real fighting, it's more of a calculated competition among established fighers at the level of the UFC.

Beserker101

Haha, BTW, one fighter I have always enjoyed watching is Cung Le

big Cung Le fan here, unfotunately he's a 40yr old perennial gasser

& a tad chubby ... kudos for a solid performance vs Cote ...

I'm thinking Munoz vs Le .. if Munoz can get past Weidman this coming

Thursday/ July 12th Cebu time - (UFC on Fuel TV)