Sign in to follow this  
the.lone.gunman

Western Union

JohnTB

Does anyone know if there is a payout limit at Western Union in Cebu ? Example : You send $2000.00 USD and the person at the other end goes to collect the money. Is the collector gonna have any problems ?

Western Union is good as far as it goes - bau you may want to look into an INTERNATIONAL WIRE TRANSFER - i.e., SWIFT,

a direct BANK - TO - BANK transfer of funds.

The receiver can then withdraw as required as opposed to waking away with a large amount of cash-in-hand and thus a target for thugs...

USMC-Retired

It is for an airline ticket. Not to many. Maybe he flies first class. Yes that is something many do not do however it is not crazy to think. I would use a bank to transfer this kind of money.

Davaoeno

My thought is the same. But, they could be buying more than one ticket... who knows.

I just bought a ticket to Cebu from Toronto and it cost me $1565 return.

thanks for the warning !! I'll make sure to avoid Cebu for awhile !! :bighug:

• Like 1

Davaoeno

i'd say unless he asks for different advise anything beyond the original question and answers to it are nobodies business

Maybe so but there's not a lot of fun in that !! [ and you do have to admit when someone tells me something like that that that is one of the first things that comes to mind. ]

• Like 1

SkyMan

a 2000 dollar airline ticket.

ain't too many of those.

Some guys pay for the whole ticket and don't make her pay half. Just sayin...
  • Like 1

Tom in Texas

Does anyone know if there is a payout limit at Western Union in Cebu ? Example : You send $2000.00 USD and the person at the other end goes to collect the money. Is the collector gonna have any problems ?

My wife and I have regularly sent money to Cebu (Lapu Lapu, actually) via Western Union for 10+ years. A few transfers were for several thousand $US. Some outlets could not (or would not) disburse them, but the outlet in the Lapu Lapu market would... so there seems to be some discretion from outlet to outlet.

You might want to call ahead to the US Western Union outlet you intend to use. We had problems with a transfer about 6 months ago because Western Union had imposed State-side limits of $500 per transfer except for selected locations. We were sent across town to a bank where we were required to fill out a Homeland Security form concerning the purpose of our transfer and some information on the recipient.... then the transaction was processed with no problem.

Hope this info is of some help to you.

Mattnlenny

I am transferring a large amount through Western Union next week. Can anyone tell me if there is a location at a mall somewhere that has a BDO inside also?

Woolf

SM city mall has 2 BDO's, E-mall has a BDO inside

Edited by Woolf

Mattnlenny

Does SM have a Western Union outlet in there?

Woolf

That I do not remember, maybe someone else can answer that

I do not use WU, I do bank to bank transfer. I can transter from my home bank to here via internet

Edited by Woolf

Mattnlenny

As far as I can see Western Union give a very good exchange rate especially for large sums as its only a $28 transfer fee.

shadow

As far as I can see Western Union give a very good exchange rate especially for large sums as its only a $28 transfer fee.

Yes, there is a WU in SM. Every Philippine branch has varying rates, most are about 1 peso under prevailing rate. Much better rate if you send it in dollars, and pick it up in dollars to exchange elsewhere.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1

Monsoon

You might want to call ahead to the US Western Union outlet you intend to use. We had problems with a transfer about 6 months ago because Western Union had imposed State-side limits of $500 per transfer except for selected locations. We were sent across town to a bank where we were required to fill out a Homeland Security form concerning the purpose of our transfer and some information on the recipient.... then the transaction was processed with no problem.

Hope this info is of some help to you.

That is interesting. I sent I believe it was $5000 to the states last year and there were no questions asked of the recipient. It did take a while to show up as ready for pickup though, that was the only thing I noticed. Perhaps they were checking something? I was sweating it a bit though and was very relieved to hear the recipient tell me they finally received it.

newtocebu

Gday mate,

Just in case you are not aware, try forexworld dot com dot au

In my experience, they have the best rate by far, and their fee is only $8.

The money can be remitted in a few different ways - it can either be wired direct to the recipients BDO account, it can be collected in cash froma BDO branch, or it can be delivered in cash to the recipients door step.

newtocebu

Western Union is good as far as it goes - bau you may want to look into an INTERNATIONAL WIRE TRANSFER - i.e., SWIFT,

a direct BANK - TO - BANK transfer of funds.

The receiver can then withdraw as required as opposed to waking away with a large amount of cash-in-hand and thus a target for thugs...

I would discourage anyone from going this route if it could be avoided ( unless you want to lose a lot of money )

Check the banks international 'hedger' that will be doing the currency conversion. You WILL lose at least 10% on the prevailing rate.

I looked into doing this for a reverse remittance ( peso's back to AUD ) with a significant amount of money, and would have lost a fair chunk of $$$