Hiring filipinos

lazydays

Yep, discrimination is well alive and kicking.

My wife is quite dark skinned, wouldn't have her any other way, she is banned from using whiteners of any kind. :D

Edited by lazydays
  • Like 5
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazydays

• freespirit

• shadow

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, discrimination is well alive and kicking.   My wife is quite dark skinned, wouldn't have her any other way, she is banned from using whiteners of any kind.

Finding prospective employees here who can speak and write English is not a problem. Then it also depends on the level of proficiency that you require. What tasks do they really have to do?. Is

for some strange reason i never get told that, but it would certainly seal the deal for me!

Mang Kanor

Hello,

Is it easy to find in Cebu filipinos that speak and write a good english (better than mine I hope :P) and are computer litterate (simple stuff like using a browser, filling forms etc) ?

How, in general, is the employee's attitude in the philippines ?

What's the best way to hire these people ? Create a company in the ph or maybe use an intermediary ?

Thank you

what kind of business are you trying to create in the PI? maybe then we could recommend some of our families and friends :D

Edited by Aldin
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

The biggest communication problem I have with my gf is that she often doesnt the question that I actually asked but instead answers the question that she assumed that I asked !

just keep using LInC it'll train you to deal with that

m60man
[ its hard to see what you are typing when it takes several seconds for the letters to appear !]

And that's about the way many pinoy's hear and process your questions...........

Edited by m60man
  • Like 2
BBQ Joe

Hiring them is easy.........

......It's the firing part that will hurt.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz
if they say you are so handsome sir then they must have good comprehension.

for some strange reason i never get told that, but it would certainly seal the deal for me!

• Like 3
WONINTWO

The Filipino's I have met do not understand most of the off-hand type remarks westerners make...."Out and about","To go" as in "Take out","Get a cab" as in "Get a TAXI-cab" and so on.

They are smart and do not want to ever be wrong.I find that they tend to answer the question they want to answer(the one they thought you wanted to ask?),not necessarily the one you verbally spoke.

Also,after you say something they will take it and go ahead and apply it to something totally un-related,as in:"Oh,so that means....".Which,most times,it/you does/did not mean that at all.I find that strange,but I think it comes from a desire to never be wrong and wanting to get the next question/task right.Hard-working,like anyone else if they feel paid correctly.I'd say tend to be ULTRA-HYPER SENSITIVE too.

If starting a business and you want to know how they will perform?Call your bank in the States 800#,Wells Fargo,Chase and almost all the other banks are setting up call centers in Manila.They are very polite and want to do a good job.It is something to note that a lot of call-centers are moving out of India to the Philippines.When I used to call a bank in the states and I would get Mumbai Mary on the line trying to sound like she is from Minneapolis,I would just hang-up...they were just completely useless...The Phils is a step up as far as call centers go and, I would say,Filipino's seem smarter.But lets face it,the smartest people,in any country, are not answering phones in call centers.

freespirit

Finding prospective employees here who can speak and write English is not a problem.

Then it also depends on the level of proficiency that you require.

What tasks do they really have to do?.

Is it mainly filling out forms? Or does it require writing short paragraphs or even essays/articles? Does it entail talking to customers or just mainly dispatching calls?

Then again, there is the work ethics that you need to be aware of.

I am Filipina and have hired quite a lot of freelance writers for the past 4 years now.

It is embarrassing that some of us do not seem to get what "being on time" and "deadline" mean.

I have of course found some really good workers though.

You do not need to put up a company to hire some. You can get freelancers online.

You can go to istorya.net and find some people there. Or post on cebuclassifieds.

As to testing their English skills, you can have them write a couple of articles on different topics.

If they are already experienced writers, ask for a portfolio.

As for the spoken English skills, call them on skype. I am sure you will get an idea on how they speak.

So I think the best thing to do is first try someone on a project basis.

If you need a lot of people to work for you, you can hire one to work as the project manager

and she deals with everyone..Saves you the hassle.

Good luck with the recruitment.

• Like 5
freespirit
he Phils is a step up as far as call centers go and, I would say,Filipino's seem smarter.But lets face it,the smartest people,in any country, are not answering phones in call centers.

there is some truth to this.. It does not mean though that there are no smart people in the call centers.

There are lots of smart people working in their areas of expertise.. but then again..there are also smart people

who, in these times, are now more financially motivated than mentally.

As in the case here in the Philippines, quite a number of the smart people in the Philippines opt to work in the call center industry as the pay is much better.

If one is looking into hiring someone with good English skills who will fill out forms, I do not think he needs someone who has an MB or a PhD.

Hiring someone for technical writing is another story....

Again, it all depends on what the job entails.

Now back to our friend danoma's need for a staff..

there are lots of college students who will do the same type of work for the same quality but for a lower price. (speaking from experience.. )

If you do not have anyone here in Cebu to help you with the recruitment, post on the job sites.

Davaoeno
But lets face it,the smartest people,in any country, are not answering phones in call centers.

I think that on the whole that statement is correct in a country where all people have an opportunity to get ahead and to find better jobs so that they can make more money. However, in general I do not think it is true in the Philippines.

In the Phil what is much more important than intelligence is connections. Without them , no matter how smart you are you will find getting employment that pays more than the call centres pay almost impossible most of the time.

• Like 1
freespirit

as we say in Phils... when getting a job..or any opportunity, it is not just about WHAT you know but WHOM you know ....

• Like 2
Wombat No More

Usually even a short, dumpy, fat girl from Manila will feel herself superior to a tall light skinned girl from the mountains. Manila people often tend to look down their nose at anyone from "the province" (the province being anywhere outside Manila).

Larry in Dumaguete

I've had a lot to do with Filipino groups in Australia, even to the point of joining and participating in a Filipino cultural dance group for over 2 years. (danced the Carinosa for the then 1st Lady, Mrs. Estrada). I've found that an awful lot of the Filipina are the most bitchy, backstabbing women I've come across, with only the occassional gem amongst them. Even many of those I knew and thought were quite good ladies, displayed at some time or other and not only one time, a penchant for unreasonable, jealousy, anger or indignancy that just downgraded anyones image of them from previously.
  • Like 3
Headshot

I think that on the whole that statement is correct in a country where all people have an opportunity to get ahead and to find better jobs so that they can make more money. However, in general I do not think it is true in the Philippines.

In the Phil what is much more important than intelligence is connections. Without them , no matter how smart you are you will find getting employment that pays more than the call centres pay almost impossible most of the time.

Some of my wife's "batchmates" from CNU work in call centers. For the most part, those working in call centers (that I know) are the ones who could not pass the teacher certification exam and could not find employment as teachers. On a personal note, those friends (or ex-friends) who work in call centers tend to be the most self-centered, back-stabbing, crab-mentality, conniving bitches I have met in the Philippines. They are very quick with vicious, non-constructive criticism of others, with no regard toward whose feelings they might be hurting or what friendships they might be destroying. They are also very slow with praise for others' accomplishments and achievements. Of course, that is just my personal observation of some call center girls that I know personally, and it may not be true of call center girls as a whole. Those that I know are NOT the sharpest pencils in the box...but they like to think that they are.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
shadow

Some of my wife's "batchmates" from CNU work in call centers. For the most part, those working in call centers (that I know) are the ones who could not pass the teacher certification exam and could not find employment as teachers. On a personal note, those friends (or ex-friends) who work in call centers tend to be the most self-centered, back-stabbing, crab-mentality, conniving bitches I have met in the Philippines. They are very quick with vicious, non-constructive criticism of others, with no regard toward whose feelings they might be hurting or what friendships they might be destroying. They are also very slow with praise for others' accomplishments and achievements. Of course, that is just my personal observation of some call center girls that I know personally, and it may not be true of call center girls as a whole. Those that I know are NOT the sharpest pencils in the box...but they like to think that they are.

Money seems to have that effect on some people. Now they may feel they are among the upper classes.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 2
Brucewayne

Money seems to have that effect on some people. Now they may feel they are among the upper classes.

Larry in Dumaguete

Yes, about $500 a month from what I hear, wow!