Hiring filipinos

Hello,

Is it easy to find in Cebu filipinos that speak and write a good english (better than mine I hope :P) and are computer litterate (simple stuff like using a browser, filling forms etc) ?

How, in general, is the employee's attitude in the philippines ?

What's the best way to hire these people ? Create a company in the ph or maybe use an intermediary ?

Thank you

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazydays

• Davaoeno

• freespirit

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep, discrimination is well alive and kicking.   My wife is quite dark skinned, wouldn't have her any other way, she is banned from using whiteners of any kind.

Finding prospective employees here who can speak and write English is not a problem. Then it also depends on the level of proficiency that you require. What tasks do they really have to do?. Is

for some strange reason i never get told that, but it would certainly seal the deal for me!

ozboy

The thing is alot can write, read and sing ''English" but cannot speak...n sure but they r more than competent re computers.....thats livelyhood for some lol

shadow

The thing is alot can write, read and sing ''English" but cannot speak...n sure but they r more than competent re computers.....thats livelyhood for some lol

I would say that many can read, write, sing, and speak English well enough, but they understand it little if at all!

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 1
liquido

The cream of the crop has left the country....

Brucewayne

There are plenty of bright college people who would fit the bill, but you have to remember that you will have to jump through hoops if you are starting a legit business.

For Real

Hello,

Is it easy to find in Cebu filipinos that speak and write a good english (better than mine I hope :P) and are computer litterate (simple stuff like using a browser, filling forms etc) ?

Easier to find on Date in Asia or Filipino heart - chat online to see if they can converse - if they say you are so handsome sir then they must have good comprehension.

How, in general, is the employee's attitude in the philippines ?

Generally good, attitude is generally proportional to income

What's the best way to hire these people ? Create a company in the ph or maybe use an intermediary ?

freelancer dot com, elance dot com or odesk dot com if you are not in the Philippines

• Like 1
Mandingo

Having worked with many Filipinos I can say that even if they speak and write perfect English 8 out of 10 times they do not fully understand the entire directions you just gave them. Partly my fault I suppose, maybe I spoke to fast or assumed they were like me and just understood certain things without elaborations. Now (time permitting) after giving them directions I ask them to repeat back what I just said and ask what they are going to do. Most of the time they just smile and say I don't know, now I find one that does understand and give him/he the instructions in detail then that person passes those instructions on.

As far as attitude goes most have good attitudes to a point, especially if they are dealing with a supervisor or someone who they think they need to kiss up to. The problem I have encountered is they tend to get arrogant and uppity with other Filipinos who they are jealous of or who they think they are better than. Example: I have a girl that is a clerk from Manila, light skin, tall with an obvious Spanish blood line. She thinks she better than the short, dark skinned girl from the mountains and when she found out that the dark skinned girl made more money than her she wanted to quit. I said bye and don't let he door hit you on the ass on the way out. She just could not comprehend that she was not better than the mountain girl.

Edited by Mandingo
  • Like 3
For Real

Having worked with many Filipinos I can say that even if they speak and write perfect English 8 out of 10 times they do not fully understand the entire directions you just gave them. Partly my fault I suppose, maybe I spoke to fast or assumed they were like me and just understood certain things without elaborations. Now (time permitting) after giving them directions I ask them to repeat back what I just said and ask what they are going to do. Most of the time they just smile and say I don't know, now I find one that does understand and give him/he the instructions in detail then that person passes those instructions on.

In China, answering "Yes" actually means maybe. In the Philippines its safe to assume answering "Yes" means the question has ended

• Like 3
Davaoeno

In China, answering "Yes" actually means maybe. In the Philippines its safe to assume answering "Yes" means the question has ended

I find that in the Phil yes often means no ! Especially if I just asked a question with a negative in it ie so you arent going to your mom's then ? and the answer"yes' of course means "no" lol

The biggest communication problem I have with my gf is that she often doesnt the question that I actually asked but instead answers the question that she assumed that I asked !

lazydays
She thinks she better than the short, dark skinned girl from the mountains

Sadly that is very, very common amongst Asians.

• Like 2
lazydays
The biggest communication problem I have with my gf is that she often doesnt the question that I actually asked but instead answers the question that she assumed that I asked !

Likewise! :banghead::rolleyes:

• Like 1
mabutiman

I find that in the Phil yes often means no ! Especially if I just asked a question with a negative in it ie so you arent going to your mom's then ? and the answer"yes' of course means "no" lol

maybe because your omitting words from the question you are asking her ???????? hahahaha ...

• Like 2
Davaoeno

maybe because your omitting words from the question you are asking her ???????? hahahaha ...

:ROFLMAO:

let me rephrase that !!

where's that damn edit button when you need it ? [ its hard to see what you are typing when it takes several seconds for the letters to appear !]

shadow
I have a girl that is a clerk from Manila, light skin, tall with an obvious Spanish blood line. She thinks she better than the short, dark skinned girl from the mountains

Usually even a short, dumpy, fat girl from Manila will feel herself superior to a tall light skinned girl from the mountains. Manila people often tend to look down their nose at anyone from "the province" (the province being anywhere outside Manila).

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 2
mikejwoodnz

Usually even a short, dumpy, fat girl from Manila will feel herself superior to a tall light skinned girl from the mountains. Manila people often tend to look down their nose at anyone from "the province" (the province being anywhere outside Manila).

Larry in Dumaguete

Larry in Dumaguete

Yes and I like the way the uppity Irish refer to their lesser brethren as "Bog Irish"