What do you military retirees use for mail service in Davao?

ft_chief

Gents, I am planning my move to Davao. Would like some suggestions on what I should do

about my mail service. Thanks

Robert

CardiacKid

RAO Manila has a service for its members that might work. Join RAO Manila. http://manilarao.org/ :link:

You can then have them forward your mail to you by LBC. You have to deposit an amount of money to cover the LBC fees, but you can still have an FPO address. You decide how often you want your mail sent to you. I know a couple of retirees who do that and they are pleased with the service.

Davaoeno

I get mail all the time in Davao but I'm not a military retiree

CardiacKid

Everybody likes a little ass, but no one like a wiseass Ian. Good One.
Voyager

Gents, I am planning my move to Davao. Would like some suggestions on what I should do

about my mail service. Thanks

Robert

I get alot of mail in the US still and some things I can't wait for them to get here to the Philippines. I have used www.mailboxforwarding.com for many years. You do have to pay $9.95 a month but the service is great for the following reasons;

1) They email you the same day that you got mail.

2) You can click the option to open and scan it and you can view it in a day. (free)

3) If it is trash mail just click trash and they will thow it away.(free)

4) You can save multiple mail items and have them sent all at one time.

5) You have the choice of standard mail and fed-ex options if you need it quick.

For me they have been great for many years.

• Like 1
ft_chief

Appreciate all the suggestions. I was hoping there was a satellite RAO in Davao. The only thing I found was a RAO website for Davao that is not being updated on a regular basis. Maybe I need to start a satellite office in Davao when my move is finalized. I wonder how many military retirees and dependents it could benefit?

Justin Kredible
I have used www.mailboxforwarding.com for many years. You do have to pay $9.95 a month but the service is great for the following reasons;

Yet another box on the list checked off! Thanks Voyager!

CardiacKid

Appreciate all the suggestions. I was hoping there was a satellite RAO in Davao. The only thing I found was a RAO website for Davao that is not being updated on a regular basis. Maybe I need to start a satellite office in Davao when my move is finalized. I wonder how many military retirees and dependents it could benefit?

I would suggest that you contact Jim Tyler or Terry Gerken at RAO Subic http://www.raosubic.com/ :link: to discuss the idea of a satellite RAO in Davao. Unfortunately, many retirees for various reasons do not join the RAO.
RogerDat

I would suggest that you contact Jim Tyler or Terry Gerken at RAO Subic http://www.raosubic.com/ :link: to discuss the idea of a satellite RAO in Davao. Unfortunately, many retirees for various reasons do not join the RAO.

I think I have found out why, it is US $60 per year. We are a tight lot.

But seriously, I use the P.O. in Lapu Lapu, the mail man will not come to my house,(no street address) and still they will pilfer your mail at times.

MOST all your mail will not reach you here, it is very expensive, so junk will most deffinatly stop, I got 1 pice forwarded in 7 years, first class will be fowarded for about two years, then returned to sender. Email/Facebook, and the like are your best sources to remain in contact. There are P.O. Boxes that will accumilate your mail, then foward it to you for a fee. Voyager seams to have the best advice, and service if you have a large amount of essential mail monthly. I eleminated most contacts when I moved here because of poor mail service.

Edited by RogerDat
CardiacKid
I think I have found out why, it is US $60 per year. We are a tight lot.
Dues are determined by the costs to run the RAO. These include rent, employee wages, utilities and internet, the LBC fees for mail delivery to the RAO and outgoing to RAO Subic. (RAO Cebu is a satellite of RAO Subic). plus a little left over to cover unexpected expenses. Each RAO sets its own dues based on these factors. It is non-profit. In return you get an FPO address and assistance for your dependents if you die. the RAO will provide an Honor Guard at your funeral if it is requested. All retiree participation in the RAO is on a voluntary unpaid basis. IMHO the biggest benefit is the assistance given to your survivors when you die. Most of our wives would be totally overwhelmed when it comes to making the notifications that are required. Mine shuts down the instant I try to tell her what will be required to be done. Depending on location and if employees are not required, the dues could be cheaper. The dues at RAO Cebu have been the same for a number of years. They also try to organize get togethers for U.S. holidays.
ft_chief

Dues are determined by the costs to run the RAO. These include rent, employee wages, utilities and internet, the LBC fees for mail delivery to the RAO and outgoing to RAO Subic. (RAO Cebu is a satellite of RAO Subic). plus a little left over to cover unexpected expenses. Each RAO sets its own dues based on these factors. It is non-profit. In return you get an FPO address and assistance for your dependents if you die. the RAO will provide an Honor Guard at your funeral if it is requested. All retiree participation in the RAO is on a voluntary unpaid basis. IMHO the biggest benefit is the assistance given to your survivors when you die. Most of our wives would be totally overwhelmed when it comes to making the notifications that are required. Mine shuts down the instant I try to tell her what will be required to be done. Depending on location and if employees are not required, the dues could be cheaper. The dues at RAO Cebu have been the same for a number of years. They also try to organize get togethers for U.S. holidays.

I saw on the RAO Subic website that they assist members with NFCU auto loans here in the Philippines. Have any of you used this assistance in obtaining car loans in the Philippines?

RogerDat

Greetings! Was not being critical, the amount is not much, but the few military retires I have met here on Mactan

I was not being critical of the price, just noting that the military retires I have met on Mactan, (all 2 in 7 years) were NOT going to pay for anything, if it wasen't free, just did without it.

The PI mail system is getting better, but I still get the occasional card with the "recived dammaged" stamp

and always the same place, and same tape sealing it. One time, I got a card with a check in it, and they did not open it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
ft_chief

Here is the response from RAO Subic " It will take at least 3-5 million pesos to start , There is no assistance from any US AGENCY . All expenses are the director and deputy directors leadership. The staff must be Philippino and or dual , There is no salary given only an allowance which IS MEAL ALLOWANCE AND TRANSPORTATION COSTS.. No american can be a guard . HOW ARE YOU GOING TO GET MAIL TO THE OFFICE. ? DAVAO IS very far from the FPO compound. there is no forwarding service. You will need permission from the MAYOR and get Operating permits. There

is no assistance from the US EMBASSY . I can send you the RAO instructions . After all the base closeures we are not "OFFICIAL " we can operate as per the instructions but we are not recognized in any way . there are no bases so retires are on there own. Check the rent costs and utilities as a start ( RENT/ELEC/WATER/ PLDT/ NET ETC) the difficult issue i see is getting FPO mail there. You are on your own . DAVAO is not close at all. find out how many retired US service members are in your area . The only persons that may use the FPO mail service are 100% retired or 100% VA RATED by the VA ITSELF -NOT SOCIAL SECURITY . Also TRICARE is pay upfront here . Medical is a big issue.

Banking there , My suggestion IS go with BPI OR UCPB . RAO is a Non-profit organization YOU SHOULD NOT PAY ANY TAX , to the city

or banks. Get a exact number of true retirees AND OR 100% VA.. Then get a budget.. OFFICE MATERIALS is going to be tough ( desks chairs -fax-printers-copiers-) It is going to be a challenge cause of the location We have had several try to open an RAO in laguna BUT THE costs were way to much.

I think the initial setup and operating costs would be too much for the number of military retirees here in Davao. Looks like the mail forwarding service is the

best option.

lazydays

He wasn't talking about Fan-Mail. :lol:

• Like 1
Davaoeno

He wasn't talking about Fan-Mail. :lol:

Does hate mail count as fan mail ?