Illegal aliens told: Come out and legalize your stay

Alan S

There might be valid reasons for people to legalise their stay, but I am always VERY suspicious of any government that does anything that they claim "is for your benefit".

It never is. !

If you cant spot the disadvantage / cost / problem, then you just havent looked hard enough.

• Like 2
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtmwatchbiz

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am I the only one thinking, if they can't afford the fee's they shouldn't actually be here?

good for you and i am just so excited you found your sweet spot.... i guess i place a different spin on the two lifestyles... retired and starting over ... i have already did the mac and cheese life

thanks once again guenther for providing useful information to the many expats here in cebu. now, since you're in such a useful mood, i'll take a large with cheese and pepperoni.

Stranded Shipscook

i know two blokes in the province who cant afford to pay any fines etc. they live day to day. one sells veges in a little store and has been here nearly 30yrs. He fought in wars for australia and gets no income support from the aussie government. hes one who sold up and moved here and landed on his arse. sleeps on a 2" mattress on the floor and has a wife and 3 kids in school. just like a local.

the other guy was hiring out trikes about 15yrs ago and one of his renters hit a kid and killed him. he lost all his bikes in the court process etc, as he was the owner and the bikes were in his name (despite his rider being drunk), . he now has a sari sari store and is poor as can be, and also has no foreign income.

I'm pretty sure these two examples wont be enthused by going to the BI and hoping for compassion. they seem happy enough doing what theyre doing though...

I am certain the BI knows them already and out of compassion leave them as it is. Witnessed a similar Expat example in Puerto Galera with my own eyes. The BI controlled all foreigners but overlooked to check the notorious overstayer for (back then) 12 years.

Funny additional detail, they usually sat with the arrested other foreigners inside the Pier cafe of that guy and waited for the ferry.

He surendered himself after 17 years and "self deported" his person . Because he got absolutely no money, they waived the fines. He reorganized his life and did visit the Philippines a few times after as tourist though before he joined the creator.

Edited by Guenther Vomberg
WONINTWO
your point

I do not like to be critical, as they tend to be hyper-sensitive and react badly to any perceived/imaginary un-flattering statement.The article quoted states that there are 200,000/foreigners residing in the country.The point of the program is to determine the "approximate,if not,exact number" of residents.Seeing as the article already stated they know there are "approximately 200,000" foreign residents contradicts what the purpose of the program actually is.The article then goes on to say they want to establish programs for the resident foreigners benefit.The contradiction coupled with the sentence preceeding this one just leads me to believe that they really just want to get every centavo that they are due in immigration fees.Which is their sovereign right as a country to do.But,PLEASE, spare me the ' programs for the benefit of the foreign resident' routine.

Woeful the lot of the foreigner who can not afford to pay the fees,they in some deep shit.

Skywalker
who visits for 10 years?

Strangely enough people do visit for 10+ years, because it's not easy to get residence here without jumping through hoops. I was a 'visitor' living in Thailand for 8 years, on non-immigrant tourist visas. I had to leave the Country every 3 months, which was no big deal as I travel a lot anyway. But I had a rented apartment with my own furniture, which constitutes a home I guess.

I know guys who have been doing the same thing for 20+ years.

I have bought an apartment here, which will be ready in 2014. But even so, I will still be a visitor here, since I am British and retain a house in central London, and am still UK resident for tax purposes.

smokey

Strangely enough people do visit for 10+ years, because it's not easy to get residence here without jumping through hoops. I was a 'visitor' living in Thailand for 8 years, on non-immigrant tourist visas. I had to leave the Country every 3 months, which was no big deal as I travel a lot anyway. But I had a rented apartment with my own furniture, which constitutes a home I guess.

I know guys who have been doing the same thing for 20+ years.

I have bought an apartment here, which will be ready in 2014. But even so, I will still be a visitor here, since I am British and retain a house in central London, and am still UK resident for tax purposes.

well i stand corrected ,,,, why dont people get an acr or is that only for married guys..

Wombat No More

live incredibly easily on $1000 a month.

Admittedly I don't pay rent, but I'd find something reasonable for around the P10K mark if I did. Given that it costs about P35k to care for my family a month without rent, I recko it's not much more than your figure if I did pay rent... I care for my wife and 3 kids, my disabled sis in law and the other sister who cares for her, my mother in Law also lives here now and needs medicines as does the disabled sis and myself. Included in the cost is fuel for the car and electricity. Of course, not eating meat and not smoking and drinking, and a penchent for not spending on myself but for my family, helps with lower costs also...

Btw- the Registration of foreigners is ongoing, last week the PNP came to my house and asked for I card and Passport Nbr. in that matter. Also in other known expat residences. And usually the PNP "knows" their local clientle.

I'm a little curious mate. Why do the PNP have the authority OR the task, to visit you at your abode, specifically to check your immigration details. The way you put it, it is normal procedure but my info on the matter is that only Immigration have the actual authority to demand your passport etc? Perhaps I'm wrong ...
Brucewayne

Admittedly I don't pay rent, but I'd find something reasonable for around the P10K mark if I did. Given that it costs about P35k to care for my family a month without rent, I recko it's not much more than your figure if I did pay rent... I care for my wife and 3 kids, my disabled sis in law and the other sister who cares for her, my mother in Law also lives here now and needs medicines as does the disabled sis and myself. Included in the cost is fuel for the car and electricity. Of course, not eating meat and not smoking and drinking, and a penchent for not spending on myself but for my family, helps with lower costs also...

I'm a little curious mate. Why do the PNP have the authority OR the task, to visit you at your abode, specifically to check your immigration details. The way you put it, it is normal procedure but my info on the matter is that only Immigration have the actual authority to demand your passport etc? Perhaps I'm wrong ...

I have thought this a little odd, but have heard of it before.

The fellow who told me that he said if they brought an immigration officer around, he would be glad to give the requested materials, otherwise they needed to piss off.

He says they left at that point with no argument.

CardiacKid
Btw- the Registration of foreigners is ongoing, last week the PNP came to my house and asked for I card and Passport Nbr. in that matter. Also in other known expat residences. And usually the PNP "knows" their local clientle. Last Year they also came, but that was for the Provicial Government, which was making a database.
I wonder if the British Consul in Cebu knows this is happening. Last year she said she would file a formal protest if this was done. This sounds much like the registration of the Jews in Nazi Germany. In addition, the PNP is not authorized to ask for your passport. That authority lies only with the BOI.
Stranded Shipscook

Its a request from other authorities i guess, memorandum for assitance or so.( in provicial towns).

The PNP has the means ( Transport and Personell) local knowledge (logically) and also a kind of "authority presence" to ask. the BI does not have the manpower, not even close.

But they did not "demand" it, they just ask for the Name ( not mine, they all know my name,lol ), I card number and Passport number, IF one is willing. I doubt also that they can demand it, but why not assisting them ?

Nothing to hide and if its helps.

Last year during the Provincial goverment campaign of Foreigners,

We had that also as a topic here.

i still see nothing wrong with it, but then again, i am from Germany and every Citizen is registered (Law). Foreign or not.

Stranded Shipscook

I wonder if the British Consul in Cebu knows this is happening. Last year she said she would file a formal protest if this was done. This sounds much like the registration of the Jews in Nazi Germany. In addition, the PNP is not authorized to ask for your passport. That authority lies only with the BOI.

Thats correct, the Police can only ask for official identification papers.

Germans are always registered since Emperor Wilhelm. The horrible chapter of Jews was not a registration ( they had all citizen registered), but a massive "rounding up" and dislocation for later easy transport to the work camps and gas chambers.

However, this is off topic.

Wombat No More

. I doubt also that they can demand it, but why not assisting them ?

Nothing to hide and if its helps.

I agree