Illegal aliens told: Come out and legalize your stay

Stranded Shipscook

JUNE 19, 2012

The Bureau of Immigration (BI) urged yesterday aliens who are illegally staying in the country to regularize their immigration status by updating their stay or applying for the appropriate visa.

In a statement, BI Commissioner Ricardo David Jr. called on the illegal aliens to voluntarily surface and visit any immigration office in their locality to have their stay legalized.

“I have instructed our field offices to provide assistance and utmost service to these foreigners so they will be encouraged to legalize their stay and apply for appropriate visas,” David said.

David urged overstaying foreign tourists to “come out, go to the nearest BI field office, update your stay and pay the required fees and fines to the government.”

He explained that in general tourists may extend their stay every two months up to a total of 16 months at our various districts and field offices while extensions after 16 months up to 24 months need the approval of the BI immigration regulation division chief. Extensions after 24 months require the commissioner’s approval.

For aliens who are working without permits, they were advised to apply for an alien employment permit (AEP) with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) after which they may file their petition for a working visa with the BI.

David also said that foreigners married to Filipinos are eligible for permanent residence and foreign students must secure a special study permit or visa.

The BI chief issued the statement as he announced plans by the bureau to conduct a nationwide census of foreigners in the Philippines .

He said the survey aims to make an approximate, if not exact, count of the number of aliens in the country and that its results will help the BI craft policies for the benefit of foreigners.

Lawyer Ronaldo Ledesma, BI acting alien registration chief, disclosed that there are more than 200,000 registered aliens who are holders of immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

He said the figures do not include the tourists on temporary stay in the country.###

Copyright © 2007-2008 Bureau of Immigration, Philippines. All rights reserved | ionrivera™

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1694&Itemid=78

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jtmwatchbiz

• smokey

• Stranded Shipscook

• Skywalker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Am I the only one thinking, if they can't afford the fee's they shouldn't actually be here?

good for you and i am just so excited you found your sweet spot.... i guess i place a different spin on the two lifestyles... retired and starting over ... i have already did the mac and cheese life

thanks once again guenther for providing useful information to the many expats here in cebu. now, since you're in such a useful mood, i'll take a large with cheese and pepperoni.

becbec2012

when the u.k does this they get a free house dole payments and all the rest of the freebee,s that go with surfurcing ,will that happen here i think not lol the reason a lot of aliens hide is because they don,t have all the back dated money thats required to stay so they know they will deported.

jtmwatchbiz

thanks once again guenther for providing useful information to the many expats here in cebu. now, since you're in such a useful mood, i'll take a large with cheese and pepperoni. :)

• Like 3

David urged overstaying foreign tourists to “come out, go to the nearest BI field office, update your stay and pay the required fees and fines to the government.”

This is one reason why many will not show up. If someone has been here a number of years as an illegal the fees and fines are going to be fairly hefty for anyone not on a western income. If they can't pay? Isn't it 15 days in prison then deportation and blacklisting?

jtmwatchbiz
i think not lol the reason a lot of aliens hide is because they don,t have all the back dated money thats required to stay so they know they will deported

actually, and i think what the [purpose of guenther's original post was for, was to encourage over stayers to simply check in at the BI office and they will receive assistance to become in compliance. the BI officers are not out to cause harm, and are willing to help over stayers work out a plan to catch up on fees and fines. no need to remain illegal, just check in and get the process started on becoming legit.

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

This is one reason why many will not show up. If someone has been here a number of years as an illegal the fees and fines are going to be fairly hefty for anyone not on a western income. If they can't pay? Isn't it 15 days in prison then deportation and blacklisting?

yes the fines and fees may add up, but the BI officers are quite professional and not going to throw anyone in jail if they are willing to begin the process of becoming legal. payment arrangements can be made, and no reason to avoid the inevitable...best to get things sorted out asap.

• Like 1
Skywalker

Am I the only one thinking, if they can't afford the fee's they shouldn't actually be here?

• Like 5
smokey

yes the fines and fees may add up, but the BI officers are quite professional and not going to throw anyone in jail if they are willing to begin the process of becoming legal. payment arrangements can be made, and no reason to avoid the inevitable...best to get things sorted out asap.

dont want to rain on your parade but in reality most of the over stayers do this because they have little money so this arrangement to make up the past due how does that work.... like they get a large loan ? maybe they will grant an forgiveness as i am sure some of the longer stayers will owe an easy 1/2 million peso by now so if a guy is a 10 year overstayed i wonder how much he has to pony up ? well hopefully they will have a few Rolex watches to sell

• Like 1
Skywalker

I've recently moved here from Thailand, where I lived for 8 years. We had the same problem there. These over-stayers are just a blight.

Being here , in my view, is a privilege - not a right. I am here because I can afford it, and I resent those people who abuse the system and always try to get something for nothing.

• Like 2
smokey

yes your correct but did you figure out how much it cost to say move to another country.. like you land at the airport and then what ..... whip out your american express and rent a car then an apartment and so on and so on... it cost me about 18,000 us to move back to the usa and this included 9,000 for a car... you need everything as all you have are the cloths on your back a scary thought

smokey

I've recently moved here from Thailand, where I lived for 8 years. We had the same problem there. These over-stayers are just a blight.

Being here , in my view, is a privilege - not a right. I am here because I can afford it, and I resent those people who abuse the system and always try to get something for nothing.

guess not everyone who comes finds true love and its white picket fence and all... i know an over stayer came in 2000 meet his true love ,, build a house , etc etc.. she kicked him to the curb went back to her x .. well her x moved back into HER house ... poor sap lives on 850 us a month and has a drinking problem he could not afford a one way ticket so to turn him self in might not be what he will do...

Skywalker

yes your correct but did you figure out how much it cost to say move to another country.. like you land at the airport and then what ..... whip out your american express and rent a car then an apartment and so on and so on... it cost me about 18,000 us to move back to the usa and this included 9,000 for a car... you need everything as all you have are the cloths on your back a scary thought

What planet do you live on smokey?

You land at the airport, and GET A BUS! You find a ROOM TO RENT. Buying a car? Dear me. Have you never been poor?

Seriously life is as expensive as you make it. The locals live very cheaply here, I live a more comfortable life, for a little more money. But at the end of the day, I rent a cheap room, I certainly don't have a car, I take jeepneys. There are plenty of places for cheap entertainment. I certainly don't throw money at sex workers, and live incredibly easily on $1000 a month.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

dont want to rain on your parade but in reality most of the over stayers do this because they have little money so this arrangement to make up the past due how does that work.... like they get a large loan ? maybe they will grant an forgiveness as i am sure some of the longer stayers will owe an easy 1/2 million peso by now so if a guy is a 10 year overstayed i wonder how much he has to pony up ? well hopefully they will have a few Rolex watches to sell

you're not raining on my parade at all. the reality is quite obvious but thanks anyways for pointing it out. the fact is, BI will help them work out a plan to get in compliance. it is a much better alternative than being a fugitive.

• Like 1
jtmwatchbiz

guess not everyone who comes finds true love and its white picket fence and all... i know an over stayer came in 2000 meet his true love ,, build a house , etc etc.. she kicked him to the curb went back to her x .. well her x moved back into HER house ... poor sap lives on 850 us a month and has a drinking problem he could not afford a one way ticket so to turn him self in might not be what he will do...

well that's that....forget Bi and just be a fugitive as you know ONE guy who does that.

smokey

you're not raining on my parade at all. the reality is quite obvious but thanks anyways for pointing it out. the fact is, BI will help them work out a plan to get in compliance. it is a much better alternative than being a fugitive.

Work out a plan .... like a guy has 850 a month so just how much can he afford to pay ? I just dont see it... any plan is going to include paying money ,,, ,,,,,,,,