Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

Flight information

Mike S

OK as the time gets closer and I am running around here trying to sell generators .... table saws ... welders and guns and tons of other stuff I have some questions about airline travel ......... unlike most of you guys it has been over 20 years sense I have flown anywhere ...... yea I know sad ...... but I don't mind saying that I don't like to fly .comfort being the main reason ...... I am a rather large person 280lbs and my shoulders are still wider than me hips ....... lol ....... so my questions are as follows :

1) Where is the best place for me to sit as far as comfort ....... I more than likely can only afford coach .. as prices are so high

2) How much do they allow you to take as far as luggage goes ... someone said 2 bags not to exceed 70# each

3) If you do go over weight how much per pound do they charge ...... gonna be hard to pack 60 years of memories in 2 small

bags ..... but then I do plan on sending some stuff by Umac before I leave

4) I have heard that you are not suppose to pack batteries in your checked luggage ... but what about cell phone batteries ...

5) I know about what not to take in my carry-on luggage which will consist of a carry-on bag and a back-pack note book bag

6) Does anyone lock their luggage ... I know there are several locks approved by the airlines that can be unlocked should they need to check your items .... anyone used these ... are they worth the cost .... I will have some items like my router ... voip equipment and telephone I will have in my checked bags .....

I know I will have more questions as time gets near but that is all I can think of right now pertaining to this subject ......

Thanks

Edited by Mike S

broden
OK as the time gets closer and I am running around here trying to sell generators .... table saws ... welders and guns and tons of other stuff I have some questions about airline travel ......... unlike most of you guys it has been over 20 years sense I have flown anywhere ...... yea I know sad ...... but I don't mind saying that I don't like to fly .comfort being the main reason ...... I am a rather large person 280lbs and my shoulders are still wider than me hips ....... lol ....... so my questions are as follows :

1) Where is the best place for me to sit as far as comfort ....... I more than likely can only afford coach .. as prices are so high

I know I will have more questions as time gets near but that is all I can think of right now pertaining to this subject ......

Thanks

i fly every few years and i'm not small either .. alot of people like the aisle seat.. but i prefer the window .. i never am able to sleep when i travel .. but i can lean against the wall of the plane .. everyone is different but get either aisle or window never get stuck in the middle

haha if you plan to go the the bathroom alot get aisle

Dan

A few ideas

tom_shor

Check with the airlines about your baggage weight.

While many international carriers allow #70 most domestic now only allow #50. Even if you are connecting to an international flight. Better not to pay overage charges for weight they are quite steep. :rolleyes:

Alan S

"Where is the best place for me to sit as far as comfort"

On the wing. lol

A pal just booked Virgin London to LA, and found that the luggage allowance is 100lbs, so it does vary widely.

The big problem is if you plan on any connecting flights in the Philippines. Say, Manila-Cebu, for example a s the weight limits are VERY low.

I suggest packing as much as possible, and shipping it over. Gonna be far cheaper than paying excess charges. Unless the whatever-it-is can be bought in RP cheaper than in US.

I always lock my luggage, and have never had any problems.

retired

Mike , i am about half your size but still find the long flight difficult so i try for the extra leg room the first row next to exit door provides . There are drawbacks as per previous poster .. near bathoom , mothers & babies are generally placed in these rows also .. Since you will travel from southeast to west coast & may arrive west coast earlier than most check in asap & ask for that seating . Moan & groan a little ( in a feel sorry fo me way ) as that has worked for me in the past . Amazing how much less the discomfort is with extra leg room . Besides , you can watch the shift changes comings & goings & the occassional cutie that forgets to button something cause she just woke up .. :-)

Bob Ward

Seating is always a concern on a long flight. The exit or bulkhead rows are your best bet by far. If you call the airline directly and tell them your situation, they will usually accommodate you if the flight is not totally booked. Frequent fliers do have access to this seating online for many US carriers. The airline always holds back a certain number of seats that are only accessible by the gate agent for flexibility. So get to the gate as early as possible. They will see the issue right away and usually try and accommodate you.

What airline or combination of airlines are you flying? Their websites will offer the definitive baggage allowance information. The US limits are 50# for domestic and 70# for international. But if your domestic flight is connecting to an international flight, the 70# bags will be allowed on the domestic connecting flight. Overweight charges vary greatly by country and airline. Typical US carriers charge $25 each but connecting carriers will charge you as well if you use multiple airlines. It can be a pain in the butt.

The regulations on batteries, and other materials, are uniform across the US. BUT the adherence to the regulations is not. TSA are a nasty bunch and act like the Gestapo. Check here for the latest regulations on batteries as they changed Jan. 1st.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ars.../batteries.shtm

If TSA knows how to unlock those approved locks, so do the criminals. Your major concern with pilfering luggage is out of the US as baggage security has significantly increased since 911. If someone really wants in your luggage, they will just cut the lock so don't bother.

Edited by Bob Ward

Alan S

One other point. Dress Really smartly.

It is surprising how often flights are close to or at capacity, and the chance of getting upgraded often depends upon how one is dressed.

I find that about half the time I am moved into business of first class, but then I always wear a suit and tie, or similar.

ologist

You need to check this out:

http://www.seatguru.com/

All of your questions will be answered there I think. I am 275 and I fly A LOT for business. This website is fabulous. I don't know if JAL flies to the Philippines but there is a new class that is 20% wider than coach but a fraction of the price of first class. You don't need first class- you aren't that big.

I get up often on long flights and brush my teeth. LOL. Did you know that most airlines have lots of goodies in the cabinets in the restrooms? Dig around. Also, take some wetnaps with you. After you do your teeth, wipe down your face, hands, arms. Any skin that is exposed to air should be cleaned. There is a new study (who knows?) that claims peoples' immune system is compromised by the prolonged exposure to higher-than-normal levels of ozone inside the cabin. The ozone particles bond with the oil in your skin. That is why many people get sick after a flight- or so they say.

I like to do the wetnap trick just to get out of my seat and since I am brushing my teeth anyhow...for me the battle is with boredom.

Bet_Busta

The row of seats on the emergency exit has bigger space in front of it, you can stretch more.

tom_shor

United for sure does not allow #70 on a domestic connecting flight unless they changed very recently. I had a long argument with them about that. So check with whatever airline you are flying to be sure.

jackspratt
The row of seats on the emergency exit has bigger space in front of it, you can stretch more.

..................and u can be the first to jump out

:rolleyes:

Edited by jackspratt

Lee
United for sure does not allow #70 on a domestic connecting flight unless they changed very recently. I had a long argument with them about that. So check with whatever airline you are flying to be sure.

70 pounds is allowed.

I do not know about all carriers so I would suggest everyone check as others have stated to be safe, but the trick is that if your travel agent buys the ticket through Philippine Airlines or another international carrier and it includes a domestic carrier, then 70 pounds or whatever the international carrier allows should be allowed on the domestic carrier.

We fly with American Airlines and connect to Philippine Airlines and we tell AA when checking in to pass the luggage all the way to our final destination which is either Cebu or Cagayan de Oro and we always have 4 suitcases (2 each) with 70 pounds each (gifts for our family and stuff for our condo) and we never pay any extra.

I just got off the phone with AA to make sure because things change sometimes, and they confirmed, and PAL has 70 pounds listed on their website.

Problems will arises if you pick up your luggage and then try to recheck it, so be sure to have it passed all the way. If the final destination has customs such as Cebu, you will not have to pick up the luggage in Manila at all (if the plane lands there and you change planes there) but if they do not have customs at your final destination, such as CDO, you will have to pick it up in Manila and show it to customs and they will pass it on after inspection and you will not see it again until you get to the final destination.

Another tip worth mentioning is to join the frequent flyer program. We use PAL and we get free flights and free upgrades from them.

Happy traveling to all.

Tatoosh

My experience coming over as your basic over-sized traveler riding on Cathay Pacific was pretty good. I lucked out and got an aisle seat at the back by the restrooms. I know that sounds bad, but they had a small open space there, so my seat was right beside that area and allowed me to sit sideways and stretch my legs. Which given my six foot three length and 275 pounds was a godsend. It was still miserable, not as miserable as being stuck in the middle of the sardine can like row of seats.

Carry on luggage considered alright in the States may not meet more stringent size requirements overseas. I bounced into that when I had an unexpected delay and layover in Hong Kong. My carry on became checked luggage when I came back to the airport to catch my later flight. Also worth noting is that smaller local airlines often have much smaller luggage allowances (checked luggage) and will have a surcharge if you go over their allowance. I'm talking the 15 and 20 kilo sort of limits for Asian Spirit and even Cebu Pacific. A couple of 70 pounds suitcases on one of those airlines will kick the cost of your flight up a bit.

I prefer locked luggage with the TSA locks. Those locks are only honored in the USA, security outside the USA don't have keys to them. If they decide they need to get inside your luggage they will cut them. I know because I brought over three good skillets and some serious kitchen cutlery. That must have got the HK inspectors sideways because the bag with those items had an "inspected by security" sticker on it, my lock was gone, and every thing had been looked at (including some adult "toys" ... oops!) but put back. Given that luggage handlers steal stuff in the USA, I have even less confidence in them once overseas. I buy the locks and take my chances.

I haven't tried EVA and their upgrade, but I heard about it even before I came over and I think it may be very worthwhile. I hadn't flown for over ten years simply because of the inconvenience. I would have liked to try them but time constraints and a determination to arrive in Cebu and not Manila put me on a different carrier.

I recommend finding a good pair of comfortable slip-ons or clogs for traveling. You will end up going through at least one and probably more (many more if you fly around the country once here) check points where you have to remove your shoes, all the while trying to keep control of your carry on, wallet, all metal stuff in your pockets, cell phone (if you carry one), loose change. It is a bit of zoo. I have easy to take off/put on shoes, a bag just for my pocket debris so I can keep it simple. Very handy if you are changing planes and/or carriers along the way.

Ear plugs and a sleeping mask can be handy on a long flight. Some carriers have them, others don't. A few pocket wipes or disposable towelettes can be useful, and even a travel toothbrush is nice. A good book with one of those handy LED reading lights is useful, not only for the trip over, but once here during a power outage and need to pass the time without TV, computer, or other electrical based entertainment systems.

Don't forget to bring some presents. Chocolate is always welcome, almost a universal token of appreciation here. Not big expensive gifts, just small items as appreciation.

Mike S

Wow ...... thanks folks for all the great information ...... some I never even thought of ...... more than likely I will have to use multiple airlines because of cost ...... right now I am looking at domestic from Orlando to LA and then either China or CP to Taipei or Hong Kong and then CP to Cebu ...... booked all the way with plane changes and from 2-5 hour delays at some airports ...... mostly LA to China ...... still haven't booked yet as I am still looking for the best deals ...... looks like about like $800-900 one-way is the best so far with an ongoing ticket on Tiger Air as a through away later ......

Any more help please pass it on....