Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Medical Insurance in the RP

lazydays

As always with Insurance policies, read the small print, the devil as they say, is in detail. :biggrin_01:

• Like 3

enoonmai
what i was trying to say and should have said to the OP is to ignore the USD plans and look at the Peso plans only

The Royale plan charges are in US dollars, I don't know why, maybe Andy can answer that. They are more expensive then the peso ones but they offer more coverage. Although I was charged in US dollars for the premium all payments were in pesos. Why would you ignore them?

Davaoeno

The Royale plan charges are in US dollars, I don't know why, maybe Andy can answer that. They are more expensive then the peso ones but they offer more coverage. Although I was charged in US dollars for the premium all payments were in pesos. Why would you ignore them?

I agree - no reason to ignore them . It depends on what you want. If you live full time in the Phil then buy the cheaper plan for 20-30,000 pesos a year and get all the coverage you really need. If you travel to parts of the world that do not include Canada and the US then get the more expenive plan with the 25% deduction for no Canada/US coverage. However if you do travel regularly to Canada/US you should consider the plan that ecoonmai mentions . I just looked at the premiums briefly but about $1700 usd [ about 73,000 pesos] should give you sufficient coverage.

Of course Stagger is the guy to talk to to decide what coverage you should consider

• Like 1

lazydays

Fair enough, but i was trying to keep it simple and attempting to answer the specific question the OP asked which was about medical cover for living in PH for 1yr. I didn't see anywhere where he mentioned cover for trips out of the country.

• Like 2

ILoveCyrus

At least it's not a ROYAL PAIN in the arse...!!!

sperry

Im using IMG. They're American.

I cant remember what I'm covered for but it seems pretty wide coverage both in medical terms and area. I think I get 90 days in the US for example. I get a plane ticket if a family member dies back in civilisation. Im pretty healthy touch wood, so I was really looking for catastrophic insurance so I am liable for about USD 1000 on any inpatient claim. pre-existing can be covered after a 2 years moratorium or something. For short trips abroad I always buy my plane ticket with a gold credit card to get that coverage too.

It costs about 1300 euros a year.

I haven't claimed yet, so I cannot comment on how quick they pay up or even if they do.

Its no use checking on internet for reviews. Only the disgruntled post.

I work through some shanghai insurance brokers who seem pretty efficient. As a matter of policy I don't do any business at all with any ex-pat in the Philippines other than buy beer in some of their bars.

billy

I also just signed up for img with $1000.00 deductible. I think they are a British company with brokers all over the world. I had them for a years coverage a couple years ago but no claims. My policy was $2467.00 per year I just signed up again last month. I hope there a good insurance company. I was afraid to sign up with a Chinese or Filipino company.

stevehann

I am in the minority here, but when I compare the cost of health care to the price of insurance in Cebu, I choose to directly pay for the health care.

ILoveCyrus

Furthermore....how about Dental Insurance and Dental work in RP?

enoonmai

I am in the minority here, but when I compare the cost of health care to the price of insurance in Cebu, I choose to directly pay for the health care.

You may not be in the minority, and for relatively minor stuff it makes sense, but a major medical event here, or anywhere, could change things fast. Too risky for me.

• Like 1

lazydays

Furthermore....how about Dental Insurance and Dental work in RP?

General Dental work is cheap unless you want fancy stuff like inplants etc.

ILoveCyrus

I know...and there are many great dentists in RP....their work is high quality similar to US.

billy

I sleep better at night knowing I have health insurance. Also I can get healthcare anywhere if needed. Here in the Philippines I don't trust healthcare 100% maybe 70%.

hookedtothenet
That seems to be a blatantly opportunistic policy, if it is indeed a written policy. Or does this come under discretionary (discriminatory) application? If you have resources or are a foreigner (rich of course) do they just hit you up with higher charges for the same service? If you have an RP medical policy, wouldn't the RP insurance companies be up in arms against it, since they would have to pay part of the bill?

Yep, We got told by my wifes OB that this was the case before my wife gave birth, so when she went into labor we made sure that she was booked into a semi-private room, as it turned out she was the only one in the room. The charges for all Meds and services are dependent on what type of room you have, crazy but true!

Glad we found out this info before we entered the hospital. Oh, and we never had to pay anything upfront at all. This is the' Doctors Hospital' here in Iloilo.

Hospital and staff were on the whole very good and helpful.

Buksol

I have been wondering if the OBAMAcare "tax" has any affect on those living in The Philippines? If I am living/retired off of money from a 401k or such type plan in the US. Would I still be affected by the OBAMAcare "tax"? Being a US citizen paying taxes from money in US would I have to pay for OBAMAcare and not be able to be covered by it? I might be far off course here as I'm not sure how OBAMAcare works. Any comments or info is welcomed.

Thanks, Buksol