Sign in to follow this  
Kreole

Medical Insurance in the RP

Kreole

I will look forward to the updated brochure. Thanks

Barryrio

Suffice to say that I am with Blue Cross and have used them twice. Once for dengue (four days) and once for a combination of infection and knee ligament injury (8 days). On both occasions Blue Cross did a great job, from initial no cash up front admittance using their swipe card, several welfare visits during my stay by their reps and a painless settlement of the bill (which was considerable) upon discharge.

Can't speak highly enough of them from personal experience - and contrary to some suggestions, there was no hike in the following year's premium as a result of these admissions.

• Like 4

ILoveCyrus

The brochure you uploaded is from last year.

The difference in this year is, of course a change in the premium rates.

I received all the new Brochures from Blue Cross last week, unfortunately I cannot seem to upload files to the site at the moment.

I will contact Paul to see if he can fix the problem and then I will upload to this section of the site.

Mr Stagger, I will be contacting you upon my long term stay in RP (next year) .... I will need coverage for me, wife, and child.

batman2525
Mr Stagger, I will be contacting you upon my long term stay in RP (next year) .... I will need coverage for me, wife, and child.

I will be contacting Mr Stagger also(I have done in the past)but this sounds like the type of plan I will be interested in.

Thanks for asking your question and I can only reiterate what a great forum for information this is.

• Like 1

Skywalker

DO NOT 'SELF INSURE' UNLESS YOU ARE VERY WELL OFF.

'The most serious thing that can happen is a heart attack' statement is a fallacy and could be ruinous to the health of your bank account!

A couple of years ago, my friend got hit by a vehicle in Thailand. He was very seriously injured, had massive head trauma and was unconscious in the ICU for nearly 3 weeks. The bills grew like the beanstalk in 'Jack the Giant killer' and trust me $25,000 would have barely made an impact.

Get good insurance, if you can't afford it, you can't afford to be here! It's really that simple.

• Like 2

highwinder

I am a bit confused on the Blue Cross Policies. Are these Blue Cross of Philippines or Blue Cross of the USA. There is a big difference in the 2 companies. According to the Blue Royal Policy minimum coverage is $500,000 US or over php 20,000,000. If this is true then the policies are worth the cost. In my case I would opt for the $5000 deductibe which has discount 40% off premium. In mycase 2 people would be php 86,000 yearly for amax of $500000 yearly. Could Mr. Stagger verify my assumptions? Interested in policy but like I said confused. Can contact me off post at gasturbine2550

highwinder

I am a bit confused on the Blue Cross Policies. Are these Blue Cross of Philippines or Blue Cross of the USA. There is a big difference in the 2 companies. According to the Blue Royal Policy minimum coverage is $500,000 US or over php 20,000,000. If this is true then the policies are worth the cost. In my case I would opt for the $5000 deductibe which has discount 40% off premium. In mycase 2 people would be php 86,000 yearly for amax of $500000 yearly. Could Mr. Stagger verify my assumptions? Interested in policy but like I said confused. Can contact me off post at [email protected] Thanks Highwinde

lazydays

I am a bit confused on the Blue Cross Policies. Are these Blue Cross of Philippines or Blue Cross of the USA. There is a big difference in the 2 companies. According to the Blue Royal Policy minimum coverage is $500,000 US or over php 20,000,000. If this is true then the policies are worth the cost. In my case I would opt for the $5000 deductibe which has discount 40% off premium. In mycase 2 people would be php 86,000 yearly for amax of $500000 yearly. Could Mr. Stagger verify my assumptions? Interested in policy but like I said confused. Can contact me off post at [email protected] Thanks Highwinde

Blue Cross PH is different from Blue Cross US.

Blue Cross PH only covers you in the PH. Blue Cross US, i think, covers you in the US and/or Globally.

Edited by lazydays

enoonmai
Blue Cross PH only covers you in the PH. Blue Cross US, i think, covers you in the US and/or Globally.

Not true, BC Phil has Emergency Overseas Coverage at no additional which provides emergency coverage of 90 days if you travel out of country (per trip). There is an additional discount of 25% for Treatment Area Limitation that excludes North America, HK, and some other places but it will cover emergency services in the excluded areas (I was told).

highwinder, the $500,000 for Plan A is the maximum coverage per year, not minimum. Andy can answer any questions you have.

Davaoeno

Not true, BC Phil has Emergency Overseas Coverage at no additional which provides emergency coverage of 90 days if you travel out of country (per trip). There is an additional discount of 25% for Treatment Area Limitation that excludes North America, HK, and some other places but it will cover emergency services in the excluded areas (I was told).

highwinder, the $500,000 for Plan A is the maximum coverage per year, not minimum. Andy can answer any questions you have.

You might want to real all of the brochure or policy. Emergency coverage is only up to 30 days per trip [ total per year is 90 days]

Also:

Emergency Overseas Confinement Coverage

worldwide cover is included for 90 days only of accumulated stay (no more than 30 days per

trip) or travel overseas during the Policy year. Reimbursement of medical expenses for overseas

treatment of confinement will be based on currently applicable Philippine medical rates.

Edited by Davaoeno

stagger

You might want to real all of the brochure or policy. Emergency coverage is only up to 30 days per trip [ total per year is 90 days]

Also:

worldwide cover is included for 90 days only of accumulated stay (no more than 30 days per

trip) or travel overseas during the Policy year. Reimbursement of medical expenses for overseas

treatment of confinement will be based on currently applicable Philippine medical rates.

You are correct if you are looking at the Blue Cross "Select" Policy, however the Blue Cross Blue Royale $ Policy which they were talking about has different coverage as below.

Q: How can Blue Royale take care of me when I am abroad?

A: In the event that you are hospitalized while abroad, our worldwide emergency assistance partner will be there

to help you. Blue Cross includes coverage for a maximum of 90 days abroad per trip. Coverage is extended

beyond 90 days provided the reason for going abroad is not to seek medical treatment. The extension of stay

overseas must also be due to an emergency illness or condition (leading to confinement) that arose on or before

your 90th day abroad, for which the continued hospitalization will require you to stay abroad beyond 90 days.

Q: What does “90 day per trip coverage” mean?

A: This means that you can travel an unlimited number of trips outside the Philippines with insurance coverage

provided that each trip does not exceed ninety (90) days. Premium may change for overseas stay of more than

90 days.

• Like 1

enoonmai

Also:

Nice fonts. You didn't cite your source (neither did I) but I think you're quoting from the Blue Cross Select plan, this is the plan to which I was referring - http://www.bluecross..._blueroyale.pdf, which indicates up to 90 days per trip (and that can be extended under certain circumstances).

I don't think that is the latest brochure and I'm not going to debate the what and what nots because I'm just a customer and this is too important a subject. I only responded because someone said the BC Phil coverage was not good out of country, not true, and I wouldn't want someone to decide against getting insurance based upon that. Please direct any further questions or comments to Andy (Stagger).

• Like 1

Davaoeno
I don't think that is the latest brochure

To tell you the truth I didnt check if it was the latest brochure or not- Stagger posted it as being the latest and I just assumed it was.

I dont think the length of out of country coverage is really very important. [ thats why I only did it in 18 cap and in black! lol] -- however I do think that reimbursement being based on current Phil rates as being very important. Even Canadians when they travel in the US are advised to buy travel insurance as current Canadian rates dont come even close to US medical charges

btw - I AM a customer of Blue Cross Philippines

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1

lazydays

No big deal, slight confusion here.

Yes you are correct, what i was trying to say and should have said to the OP is to ignore the USD plans and look at the Peso plans only. :)

• Like 1