keeping your cool...or not...

I'm walking down the road minding my own business, and a van backs out onto the road just missing me. It's close, but I don't get worked up and walk on.

Less than one minute later, the same van pulls into a side street further down the road and almost runs me down. If I hadn't jumped out of the way, he would have hit me. No signal, no beep to warn me. This time, I react and whack the side of the van twice. I tell the driver to be more careful and he gives me the finger. I tell him again to be more considerate to others and he gets out.

I get a little worked up, but stick to the point and just tell him to be more careful. I shouldn't have done it, but I pointed my finger at him - quite close to his face. He then goes into Bisaya, and amongst his words I heard the word 'Filipino'. I think he was basically saying that I'm a Foreigner and should do this to a Filipino. Enough, I turn, walk on and don't look back.

Two things:

1. I walk that street maybe 10 times per week on the way to and from work. Should I be worried about him getting back at me?

2. Deep down, do Filipinos dislike Foreigners? As soon as any issue arises, it's Filipino vs Foreigner. In the case above it was Pedestrian vs Driver, a minor altercation which probably happens a hundred times a day. Why bring up the race issue unless you have a dislike of Foreigners?

The first incident seems to be unintentional, but the second seemed to be intentional.

I'd be careful and investigate who he is. Such actions is leaning to the abnormal side.

Two things:

1. I walk that street maybe 10 times per week on the way to and from work. Should I be worried about him getting back at me?

2. Deep down, do Filipinos dislike Foreigners? As soon as any issue arises, it's Filipino vs Foreigner. In the case above it was Pedestrian vs Driver, a minor altercation which probably happens a hundred times a day. Why bring up the race issue unless you have a dislike of Foreigners?

1. Yes, you should. If there's a chance, get his plate number and some homework by telephone.

2. I don't think so. But if the issue arises to "Filipino vs Foreigner" thing, it will always depend on the situation on who is provoking who?

We (non Filipinos) can not win in this kind of game. Not only that you never should have hit his van. We all need to learn to just walk way for this kinda stuff. It could have been some kind of set-up. IMO you were lucky. It very often is a Filipino vs Foreigner thing.

We (non Filipinos) can not win in this kind of game. Not only that you never should have hit his van. We all need to learn to just walk way for this kinda stuff. It could have been some kind of set-up. IMO you were lucky. It very often is a Filipino vs Foreigner thing.

Should never hit his van? he was lucky to be have two legs to stand on and be able to hit the van!! That is BS in any country or with any nationality! Geez.... Sounded like some idiot driver needed his sorry **s kicked....maybe you will get another chance!

smokey

i think the us against them is what THEY count on... if your married as i am my wife is the front liner and nothing is a scarey as a Filipino... women with a mission... some guys threw a rock at my sons car (broke the window) and told him if he called police he would be sorry... my wife went over there screaming and yelling and screaming... with her brother (police, and another military ) and told them if you hurt my son i am very sorry because your whole family will suffer for what you did... i think they got the message load and clear... and if you know my wife she means every word of it...

Joemama, you may have missed a couple of threads about the downside of kicking ass in the Philippines? I think the incident, happening twice, merits his very careful attention. It *might* have been coincidence and the Filipino driving was having a bad day. I would suspect that there might be something else going on. At the very least I'd be finding out if the van and driver were neighbors, who they were, and what agenda they might have, if any. Who knows, the guys sister might just have gotten pregnant by a Kano that took off. Or it could be something totally unrelated. But good to find out, if possible. Getting blindsided really sucks!

And Joe, making enemies here is just bad for your health. They don't believe in a 'fair fight' and they do keep grudges for a long time.

Joemama I can understand how this incident upsets you. Please understahd I was not condoning the drivers actions.

But keep in mind as a foreigner visiting Philippines things are very different from what we know back home. A small percentage of Filipinos are total psychopaths in that they have life and death power over their little sandbox. The guy could have just been a poor driver; he could have been playing a little game or who knows what.

At least weekly an incident is detailed in the news that includes some or all these words

Edited by Dan
And Joe, making enemies here is just bad for your health. They don't believe in a 'fair fight' and they do keep grudges for a long time.

Thanks for the comments everybody. I don't think there was premeditated in it, he was just doing what he always does and nobody normally bats an eyelid.

I think the above comment is what worries me most - long memories. Maybe he forgets about it now, but some time in the future he's had a few, sees me walking past and here we go.

My wife scolds me so many times for getting worked up over other people's ignorance. I just feel that some people need to be told that what they do is not very nice. I'm just not good at keeping quiet when someone needs to be told.

For now, I'm keeping my head down. I haven't walked past yet, although it's only been two days and I will have to head that way this week for certain. Will let you know...thanks again...

As in...FORGIVEN BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Just keep your cool anytime and just let your wife handle it... :D

When I first came to the Philippines, I would have probably reacted like jigsy. There are a few things where Filipinos are just totally ignorant and stupid, far of from what we would call adequate human behaviour.

One of that is showing respect to pedestrians.

In the city where I live in Canada, people just walk onto the street without even looking for traffic. It's not a small city but no big one either, traffic can be pretty bad at times. This would get you killed in the Philippines for sure.

Even if you are half on the street, motorist expect you to jump back onto the sidewalk and let them go first. It's getting ridiculous when small children and old people are involved.

So in short: I don't think the guy in the van was thinking anything. Your behaviour was inadequate for the Philippines. Maybe avoid this road/area for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, so good. I have walked the road many times this week - a few stares, but I always had those before. End of the day, it's noth worth getting worked up about. Having said that, if I felt someone was testing me - pushing me to see how much he could get away with, as some of us thought in my case - then I would have to react.

I heard a story this week. A foreigner had a row with a local chap about a parking space in SM car park. Anyhow, he went shopping, but they waited for him to come out and somehow managed to slam his car door on his hand.

Keep it cool fellas...

mattwilkie

Best way to deal with things is getting a Filipino to deal with a Filipino... I went out on a drinking session a few weeks back and the guys I was with my wife wasnt too happy with me mixing with because of theyre involvement in things illegal etc.. point being.. they made sure I got back home even though suffering well from 2 bottles of Brandy.. as in the words of 3 of them "We dont want to upset your wife". I made some new friends and they dropped me off at the house..even though I dont remember what happend after I left the bar.. but I was intact and no money was missing.. everything in the Philippines is about position. If your a foreigner with a dispute with someone find out who they are.. but generally its just not worth the hassle..

It seems the guy has an issue with you since its his 3rd attempt to run you over.. me I would sit outside his house with a bottle of brandy and wait for him to get home..just pay a visit.. but thats me :D

So you wait outside the house, drink the brandy, and smash him with the bottle, right?

:D:huh::lol:

Oh no, get him seriously sh*t-faced and then point him into oncoming traffic. A certain sense of poetic justice that way. :D