Overstaying by 1 day - to change my flight or not?

lazydays

Chris brought up a good point and I hope someone else can confirm this. Apparently, arrival date is not counted. Does anyone else have any knowledge of this?

You can use that reckoning if u wish, i always work it the opposite way, if you are leaving the country on the 60th day you are ok, the departing day doesn't count as one of the 59. Works for me, never had a problem.

Use it either way.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TorJay

• Skywalker

• Davaoeno

• Faluango

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are quite correct, and I find that the best way to treat these 'functionaries' is to be UBBER polite and let them realise that they are massively important, and that I am submissive and hugely gra

My personal experience of a 1-day overstay was in Manila about 8 months ago. I did not notice it until the immigration officer pointed out to me. He told me to pay the penalty (I think it was PHP3k or

I do not doubt your personal experience but if someone else had the same official on the same day when that official was in a more foul mood, then they would have a different experience. Seldom do tw

smokey

wow you spent one hole day worrying about what to do about one whole day

• Like 1
Davaoeno
the departing day doesn't count as one of the 59

when i overstayed by 3 days my flight left at 11:50 pm . Not only did they count the day of departure- they counted the next day also ! Of course its midnight, your luggage is already on the plane, your ride to the airport has left, if you dont get that plane you lose your reservation and who knows how long it will be until you can book again , and you have a hotel reservation waiting for you - so you are extremely vulnerable and willing to comply with just about anything they demand rather than face the alternative !!

I just paid the 50 bucks to the airline and changed the date. Now, I will be 59 days in Phils.

Done. Like dinner.

• Like 2
lazydays

when i overstayed by 3 days my flight left at 11:50 pm . Not only did they count the day of departure- they counted the next day also ! Of course its midnight, your luggage is already on the plane, your ride to the airport has left, if you dont get that plane you lose your reservation and who knows how long it will be until you can book again , and you have a hotel reservation waiting for you - so you are extremely vulnerable and willing to comply with just about anything they demand rather than face the alternative !!

Interesting, I've left Davao for Singapore at 1515hrs on 60th day, no problem.

Jim Sibbick

Good question.Rather than pay to change the flight,get another extension at immigration,it will cost roughly the same.Paying the fine is an option too,but either way immigration is going to get whatever fees they feel they are entitled to.Do not screw things up for yourself just to save a few bucks.

The normal extension from 59 days to 4 months costs about P7600. However, there is a discount if you only extend from 59 days to 3 months. I believe that Paul Whiteway said it is P6500.

So, no it won't cost roughly the same.

Regard: Jim

Jim Sibbick

Just pay 1000 pesos to the BOI officer. Arrive early and go talk with one of the officers. Tell them you don't have enough cash to pay for the full amount of 3050 pesos because you are leaving and are not staying in the Philippines. Then offer them 1000 pesos to tel you thru. This will do the trick (happened to me) and the money will go straight in their pocket. Win win situation.

I have 3 issues with your idea.

1. What you are suggesting is illegal. So, just because it worked for you does not mean it will work for some one else.

2. You have the wrong extension. The extension from 21 days to 59 days is P3030. The original poster is not asking about that extension. He is asking about the extension from 59 days to 4 months.

3. Unless it has changed, the Bureau of Immigration has instructed immigration officers not to deal with over stays at the airport where the over stayer has been in the Philippines more than 59 days. They are to be directed to the nearest office of the Bureau of Immigration. Which will most probably result in the traveller missing their plane.

Regards: Jim

Edited by Jim Sibbick
  • Like 2
Faluango

Okay so I think it's up to you.... miss your plane or pay the 1000 PHP to the BOI officer.

Okay so I think it's up to you.... miss your plane or pay the 1000 PHP to the BOI officer.

Neither of it.

Just pay 1000 pesos to the BOI officer. Arrive early and go talk with one of the officers. Tell them you don't have enough cash to pay for the full amount of 3050 pesos because you are leaving and are not staying in the Philippines. Then offer them 1000 pesos to tel you thru. This will do the trick (happened to me) and the money will go straight in their pocket. Win win situation.

Tis is a good idea;

Is there still a 1000P bill?

Anyway, I think two 500 P bills might be best.. too hard to break 1000p bills. just dont give them too many 20P bills.. thats pushing it. make sure the two 500p bills are crisp.. but might wanna put a gentle fold... NOT a crease. You want to make it look like you got them out of the ATM a few hours ago..

WONINTWO

The normal extension from 59 days to 4 months costs about P7600. However, there is a discount if you only extend from 59 days to 3 months. I believe that Paul Whiteway said it is P6500.

So, no it won't cost roughly the same.

Regard: Jim

Roughly is term that is used by me to be deliberately vague.Factor in time,aggravation etc,and then the issue becomes subjective.I am encouraging the guy to not screw things up for himself by saving a few bucks,that's all.If someone is in this country and lack of a hundred bucks is something that is going to cause hardship,the person might be in the wrong place...MIGHT.
Faluango

This is what I did:

I arrived at the airport way before so couldn't check-in, passed thru the gate and asked the security guard if I could go to the BOI office to resolve my issue- he kindly let me thru.

I arrived at the office and explained my problem to a woman who told me I should just pay the normal extension fee of around 3050 pesos (it was my 2nd extension, I was at 59 days) but I told her I didn't have that kind of money. She told me "just give what you have" - I kind of felt weird when she told me that but hey, okay... then she told me to wait for her outside where everyone else is waiting.

One hour later, when everyone started queuing up to pay their terminal fees, she came walking towards me and let me pass infront of everyone to go to the BOI counter- she told me how much you have? I said 1000 pesos. She told me to slip it in my passport and just hand it over to the officer at the Immigration counter. He opened my passport, without even looking at my face (note: international flight), took out the 1000 PHP with a big smile on his face, stamped my passport and let gave it to me. I just walked thru the immigration counter and waited for my airplane

I know it's not LEGAL but hey... the officer told me to do it like this so that's what I did

Edited by Faluango
Davaoeno
] I know it's not LEGAL[/color]

ah, but this is the Philippines. Bribes are of course not legal - but donations are always welcome !

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses.

I am no longer following this thread.

Davaoeno
I am no longer following this thread.

i dont think that matters much to most posters !! :ROFLMAO:

• Like 1