Overstaying by 1 day - to change my flight or not?

Is there any need for calculation? Just check your VISA stamp in your passport.

Mine is stamped: Jan 28 2012, then there is a signature followed by 2/18/12

The last date was obviously the expiry date for the VISA.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TorJay

• Skywalker

• Davaoeno

• Faluango

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are quite correct, and I find that the best way to treat these 'functionaries' is to be UBBER polite and let them realise that they are massively important, and that I am submissive and hugely gra

My personal experience of a 1-day overstay was in Manila about 8 months ago. I did not notice it until the immigration officer pointed out to me. He told me to pay the penalty (I think it was PHP3k or

I do not doubt your personal experience but if someone else had the same official on the same day when that official was in a more foul mood, then they would have a different experience. Seldom do tw

Stranded Shipscook

My personal experience of a 1-day overstay was in Manila about 8 months ago. I did not notice it until the immigration officer pointed out to me. He told me to pay the penalty (I think it was PHP3k or so) at the cashier…

He also asked me if I would like to talk to his supervisor so I said Yes… She asked me my arrival time (10pm) when I came to Manila and it was 9 am. She said it’s 23 hour-over stay, less than 1 day so it’s OK and stamped my passport free of charge…

I guess it all depends on the person, circumstances, the positions of the stars and moons (including Jupiter’s moon, etc.) so I would play it safe and change the departure date or extend your visa, whichever is convenient for you…

:twocents:

In your case, since in know you in "real", it's you irresistible charm and smile. You should change your user name to "Smiles High"

Its really attitude that plays a major role when dealing with authorities.

CardiacKid
Its really attitude that plays a major role when dealing with authorities.
That's right. Go in with a smug,arrogant, and condescending attitude and watch the pesos fly from your wallet. Smile, be polite and respectful of their position and get treated better than you do at home. My guess is 90% of the problems foreigners have are of their own making.
  • Like 2
Jim Sibbick

A lot of the posts here are regarding overstaying the initial 21 days, which has no relevance to overstaying 59 days.

The actual fees to extend beyond 59 days are P4830 for the extension, although there is a discount if you choose one month instead of 2. Plus you pay usd $50 for the ACR-I card.

Obviously it will be much cheaper to change the date.

Regards: Jim

• Like 1
Skywalker
Plus you pay usd $50 for the ACR-I card.

I didn't, and I was extending beyond the 59 day extension. As I said, I was very polite, I asked for the minimum extension because my flight was 4 days past the 59 day (first) extension, and they allowed me not to have to get the ACR card.

Make sure you're counting the number of wake-ups instead of the number of days, the rules on how they count the 21 days are a little strange and if your arrival and departure dates are 22 days apart you are probably still OK.

For guidance of foreign nationals traveling to the Philippines and availing of the

21-day visa free entry, please be informed that the count of the 21 days stay

starts on the day after the arrival in the country. The foreign traveler must depart

the country on the date indicated in the Immigration Stamp “Stay Until”.

Where did I talk about the 21 day visa waiver?

Having said that, if the counting begins on the day AFTER arrival (wake up days) then I am good and just saved 50 bucks.

• Like 1

Is there any need for calculation? Just check your VISA stamp in your passport.

Mine is stamped: Jan 28 2012, then there is a signature followed by 2/18/12

The last date was obviously the expiry date for the VISA.

YES, there is a need for calculation when you don't yet have the stamp in your passport.

Chris brought up a good point and I hope someone else can confirm this. Apparently, arrival date is not counted. Does anyone else have any knowledge of this?

Faluango

on the 2nd of May the BOI was closed due to holiday. I didn't know this of course, being a foreigner on holiday. My flight was on the 3rd. The BOI officer at the airport asked me to pay the full amount of 3,050 pesos but I refused because I told them I didn't have enough pesos on me because i'm leaving the country.

Finally they agreed on 1000 pesos, went straight into the BOI officer's pocket

Edited by Faluango

Any one flying in on KAL and Asiana airlines might have the same trouble as me trying to count the days..21 days visa... U fly into Cebu from Korea at about midnight. It is 23:50 or (11:30 pm) so by the time U get your baggage and thru customs it is almost the next day...

And

When U leave U fly out at 01:50 or (12:50 am) You are really checking in and paying and getting stamped at about 10 PM (22:00 hrs) the day before U offically leave...

So I am always confused.

I have been told - the arrival date - to hang around /baggage &customs when U first arrive until after 12 midnight... which would be easy if the plane does not arrive too early... and they will not count that offical arrival date - the date on your ticket --- but when U actually pass thru customs. and get your passport stamped

I also have been told that - departing date - since U are really going thru the procedure to board your plane a few hours before the offical date - the date on your ticket - that they will not count that date also but the day before....

It is all so clear to me... I think... :sarcasm:

ancienrocka

There i always a stamp in your passport saying when yourvisa expires and you have until 12pm on that day to exit the country before you need to renew.

The fine for overstaying by one one day orto to one month is the same - 1000p and if you have been here for 59 days as you said you are looking at about 6,500p on top to extend for the minimum period of one month

OK, what part do some of you fail to understand? I don't care right now what my non-existent friggin' stamp says. I am NOT, and I repeat, NOT there yet and do not have that ink in my passport telling me an expiry date for the 59 day visa.

:beatdeadhorse:

Athena

You are quite correct, and I find that the best way to treat these 'functionaries' is to be UBBER polite and let them realise that they are massively important, and that I am submissive and hugely grateful for them having to address a lowly beast like myself.

:rofl: .................

now, you may address me as Ma'am .................. :yahoo:

• Like 1
WONINTWO

I just bought my ticket to Cebu and realized that I miscalculated by 1 measly day. My stay is now for 60 days instead of 59. Should I pay the $50 to move my flight one day or should I just pay the fine at Mactan when I leave? Also, is there any chance of being blacklisted if I overstay by one freakin' day?

Good question.Rather than pay to change the flight,get another extension at immigration,it will cost roughly the same.Paying the fine is an option too,but either way immigration is going to get whatever fees they feel they are entitled to.Do not screw things up for yourself just to save a few bucks.

Faluango

Just pay 1000 pesos to the BOI officer. Arrive early and go talk with one of the officers. Tell them you don't have enough cash to pay for the full amount of 3050 pesos because you are leaving and are not staying in the Philippines. Then offer them 1000 pesos to tel you thru. This will do the trick (happened to me) and the money will go straight in their pocket. Win win situation.