Overstaying by 1 day - to change my flight or not?

I just bought my ticket to Cebu and realized that I miscalculated by 1 measly day. My stay is now for 60 days instead of 59. Should I pay the $50 to move my flight one day or should I just pay the fine at Mactan when I leave? Also, is there any chance of being blacklisted if I overstay by one freakin' day?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TorJay

• Skywalker

• Faluango

• Davaoeno

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are quite correct, and I find that the best way to treat these 'functionaries' is to be UBBER polite and let them realise that they are massively important, and that I am submissive and hugely gra

My personal experience of a 1-day overstay was in Manila about 8 months ago. I did not notice it until the immigration officer pointed out to me. He told me to pay the penalty (I think it was PHP3k or

I do not doubt your personal experience but if someone else had the same official on the same day when that official was in a more foul mood, then they would have a different experience. Seldom do tw

Wombat No More

Save the worry, save the hassle as the dickheads jockey with the doom and gloom messages to get your money in their pocket... Just change the flight

Save the worry, save the hassle as the dickheads jockey with the doom and gloom messages to get your money in their pocket... Just change the flight

I could do that. But, how much would it cost if I wanted to go for another extension before the 59 days?

Wombat No More

I think about P2,700 and a trip to Immigration and 30 minutes to 2 hours there... I tried to extend my Dad's visa by 14 days and had to pay the full 59 days. Hang about, I think it was more expensive for the 2nd visa than the first?

Skywalker

Over 3000 pesos, I miscalculated by 4 days, and had to get an extension, the minimum of which is a month. The 59 day visas are a licence to print money, as are indicative of how we aliens are viewed by the government here as little cash cows!

But, I still choose to live here for many reasons. Now on a beach holiday in Ceylon.

Looks like I will fork over 50 bucks to Cathay and move my flight by one day. Definitely not worth the potential hassle.

Skywalker

The minimum extension is a month. The cost is over 3000 pesos.

A_Simple_Man

At 59 days they soak you for a temp ACR card so thats 50 bucks on top of the visa renewal. BI loves people who miscalculate by a day. It is their license to print money. That extra day will cost you about 150 bucks in fees

Skywalker

At 59 days they soak you for a temp ACR card so thats 50 bucks on top of the visa renewal. BI loves people who miscalculate by a day. It is their license to print money. That extra day will cost you about 150 bucks in fees

They didn't 'soak' me for an ACR Card fee. This was my first extension of my first 59 day extension, and they did say I 'should' now apply and pay for an ACR, but they let me off, for some reason.

This was a week ago, so I doubt you'll get a more up-to-date experience!

Edited by Skywalker
miles-high

My personal experience of a 1-day overstay was in Manila about 8 months ago. I did not notice it until the immigration officer pointed out to me. He told me to pay the penalty (I think it was PHP3k or so) at the cashier…

He also asked me if I would like to talk to his supervisor so I said Yes… She asked me my arrival time (10pm) when I came to Manila and it was 9 am. She said it’s 23 hour-over stay, less than 1 day so it’s OK and stamped my passport free of charge…

I guess it all depends on the person, circumstances, the positions of the stars and moons (including Jupiter’s moon, etc.) so I would play it safe and change the departure date or extend your visa, whichever is convenient for you…

:twocents:

• Like 2
A_Simple_Man
This was a week ago, so I doubt you'll get a more up-to-date experience!

I do not doubt your personal experience but if someone else had the same official on the same day when that official was in a more foul mood, then they would have a different experience. Seldom do two people experience the same treatment when it comes to arbitrary decisions in the hands of Immigration officials. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Its not just Philippines, its human nature when you give someone a little power.

• Like 2
Skywalker

You are quite correct, and I find that the best way to treat these 'functionaries' is to be UBBER polite and let them realise that they are massively important, and that I am submissive and hugely grateful for them having to address a lowly beast like myself.

• Like 4

Are you counting the day you arrive as one of your days if so don't from what i understand, not sure about the day you leave? Also thought they stop all paying of fines at the airport is that open again?

Davaoeno

when i left cebu and was 3 days late there was no fine - but there was a demand for 3000 pesos in a back room that i paid . And was sent on my way

Chris24

Make sure you're counting the number of wake-ups instead of the number of days, the rules on how they count the 21 days are a little strange and if your arrival and departure dates are 22 days apart you are probably still OK.

For guidance of foreign nationals traveling to the Philippines and availing of the

21-day visa free entry, please be informed that the count of the 21 days stay

starts on the day after the arrival in the country. The foreign traveler must depart

the country on the date indicated in the Immigration Stamp “Stay Until”.

• Like 1