Would you? and if so how?

smokey

Headshot, they already did have that, politely suggest you read my post covering that. Membership sales for country clubs and the like are common way of funding, like buying condos off the plan etc

This place was a very successful country club, based on non proprietory membership. this means a significant sized joing fee which allows a life time membership with annual renewable fees. the upfront fees build the facilities the annual fees maintain and improve the facilities. profitability is cross sales from food & beverages plus use of some of the fee paying facilities etc, use of swimming pool is free of charge etc

like city sports

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spooks

• jtmwatchbiz

• smokey

• Brucewayne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Marriage?

Would I? Based on the scenario presented Not in this lifetime

What I imagine is/was the most impressive hotel in Davao City - sits empty , and has never opened after it was built. When I first came here 4 years ago the Durian Hotel was already sitting abandoned

spooks

"like city sports"

ehmmm not sure who are they :surrender:

Faluango

Just do it but don't invest too much and don't listen to the people here on this forum, most of them never ran a business in the Philippines or anywhere in the world

Edited by Faluango
JohnBonham

I say start small but think big!

Having run many fine dining establishments and high end resorts, I have some experience in the field and I often dream about revitalizing old classy, charming properties and giving them new life... but it takes a good plan.

I'd say import key staff from US/EU for service and management... and don't expect things to go smoothly! Also open up to the public for day use fees or for the restaurant. Decide who is your target demographic and make sure they know you exist.

It's a lot of fun but even more hard work! Good Luck!

don't listen to the people here on this forum, most of them never ran a business in the Philippines or anywhere in the world
why would you say this , when the OP specifically titled the thread in order to get input / comment and advice ?
  • Like 1
smokey

Just do it but don't invest too much and don't listen to the people here on this forum, most of them never ran a business in the Philippines or anywhere in the world

unlike yourself <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Like 1
Brucewayne

Bruce for Club memberships setting up concessions is possible but the overall ownership will have to approve that before it starts

being a club the memberships covers the entrance fees. the attraction is exclusivity so it is not open to the public. Guests can bring in a 'day' member for a fee,

Once I have had the initial discussions and it looks like it might progress to the next level i will get some pics on here and perhaps a video. this is not a promo as I will not be giving deatils of where or the name of the place just to show what a mess looks like and what the potential can be if the parties concerned are willing to move on.

No, who says it has to be a conventional "Country Club", open up to the public and let anyone in with the price of admission.

In other words, don't do what the others did and failed, think slightly outside the box and make a profit if it is at all possible.

The only way you can possibly reopen that place as a country club is to basically incorporate, good luck with that and be prepared for a lot of squabbling.

Nothing will get done soon enough to help improve the place if even one of your partners disagrees.

spooks

No, who says it has to be a conventional "Country Club", open up to the public and let anyone in with the price of admission.

The cost of memberships is not cheap and it has to be justified, local people have more of an ego than you may like to think. Franciscans wrote in 16th century. the natives here continue to enjoy their petty ascendancy over their fellow man" not a lot has changed.

In other words, don't do what the others did and failed,

The reasons for failure were not memberships it was poor management

think slightly outside the box and make a profit if it is at all possible.

Most definitely

The only way you can possibly reopen that place as a country club is to basically incorporate,

Memberships clubs have to be incorporated by law under SEC

Apologies but my Fonts have been kidnapped!!

Edited by spooks
miles-high

I don’t know what exactly the “country club” means in this part of the world where English, Irish, British, American, Australian, Pinglish, Runglish, Spanglish, Nuyorican, Swenglish, Taglish, etc., etc. all meet…

I have a full view of Manila Golf Club and Manila Polo Club from my study. With my high-power Canon IS binocular, I can tell who is playing (if I know the person, that is). Depending on my schedule, I sometimes observe their activities when I have nothing better to do…

My non-empirical observations seem to indicate that these two private clubs must make money, if at all, from the club dues and restaurants, as the players are few and far between… I guess the well-to-do Filipinos are content in the air-conditioned premises sipping Krug Rose rather than playing under the hot sun…

Even golf craze Japanese seem to spend more time in the karaoke bars along A. Arnaiz Avenue… (Incidentally, I hear major Japanese newspapers have their camerapersons armed with infrared cameras to take pictures of the diplomatic and official car license plates to see if the Japanese diplomats, officials, parliament members are spending the taxpayers’ money on karaoke bars…)

In any case, their restaurants are… well, OK but nothing to write home about… there are far superior restaurants in the 5-star hotels or on Yakal Street or elsewhere in Makati… So I would say these private clubs are the places to see and to be seen, nothing more (but important in certain circles)…

:coffee:

Brucewayne

I don’t know what exactly the “country club” means in this part of the world where English, Irish, British, American, Australian, Pinglish, Runglish, Spanglish, Nuyorican, Swenglish, Taglish, etc., etc. all meet…

I have a full view of Manila Golf Club and Manila Polo Club from my study. With my high-power Canon IS binocular, I can tell who is playing (if I know the person, that is). Depending on my schedule, I sometimes observe their activities when I have nothing better to do…

My non-empirical observations seem to indicate that these two private clubs must make money, if at all, from the club dues and restaurants, as the players are few and far between… I guess the well-to-do Filipinos are content in the air-conditioned premises sipping Krug Rose rather than playing under the hot sun…

Even golf craze Japanese seem to spend more time in the karaoke bars along A. Arnaiz Avenue… (Incidentally, I hear major Japanese newspapers have their camerapersons armed with infrared cameras to take pictures of the diplomatic and official car license plates to see if the Japanese diplomats, officials, parliament members are spending the taxpayers’ money on karaoke bars…)

In any case, their restaurants are… well, OK but nothing to write home about… there are far superior restaurants in the 5-star hotels or on Yakal Street or elsewhere in Makati… So I would say these private clubs are the places to see and to be seen, nothing more (but important in certain circles)…

:coffee:

Real legends in their own minds and I bet they spend very little money on the inside unless they think someone is watching them.

Voyager

This is an interesting topic but with the little information available with such a big venture I can’t make any comments. Before I came here I was the Operations Manager overlooking several resorts at the same time. The most important thing when selling, buying or taking over a resort (Country Club) is to do a disclosure agreement with those involved and get in and look at the books for the last 3-7 years. In the USA this is normal practice to get a good idea of a holding. Now we are talking about a Philippine based Country Club. Would I trust any financials furnished or trust the word of anyone I sit down and have a meeting with? HELL NO!

I would have to see the place first, look at the numbers, have those meetings, make some calls to previous members and then and only then think about getting involved with something like this in the Philippines.

spooks

i think it is fair to say there will be no books and if there were i would suspect they would be gone missing . i am more interested in trying to get a members list and SEC may with some form of authorization release those details. The lack of information is entirely a reflection of how little is known.

what is known is that a significant investment lies idle has been for many years. great location, was once very successful.

No investment from me

Voyager

Hey man, if no investment is required and it is only time and energy spent on your part go for it. I know you can get the project off the ground and up and running since you did the unheard of when you got Spooks up and running in CDO back when it was impossible for me to get the same thing started in Butuan.

The member list is the big factor, many of the old members may or may not want to come back but you know they will have friends with money and those friends will have friends.

Good luck and look forward to seeing some photos of the place.

spooks

The old members are they key. as far as I am concerned their investment has been betrayed

I would like to do something unheard of; consider the membership as continuous and only the annual service fee needed to renew. i suspect word would get round real fast.

That is just one of my thoughts at this stage