Would you? and if so how?

jtmwatchbiz

hey...any ways you like to call it, the project sounds interesting and as long as you have the time and don't need to risk your own money then why not? you seem to have plenty of business experience here so it could be a winner for everyone involved!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spooks

• jtmwatchbiz

• smokey

• Brucewayne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Marriage?

Would I? Based on the scenario presented Not in this lifetime

What I imagine is/was the most impressive hotel in Davao City - sits empty , and has never opened after it was built. When I first came here 4 years ago the Durian Hotel was already sitting abandoned

Headshot

Guys there are a million and one reasons not to do anything. The scenario was would you and if so how. Not I will not do because of the 1 million reasons not to. Partnership is definitely not going to be the way ahead. experience has shown that if you manage a project that last thing you need is committee meetings etc

So...you plan to have a country club...with paying members (as in they have laid out an investment for the privilege of belonging)...who have no say as to how that money will be used? I would love to see how that will shake out. Good luck.

Edited by Headshot
spooks

Headshot, they already did have that, politely suggest you read my post covering that. Membership sales for country clubs and the like are common way of funding, like buying condos off the plan etc

This place was a very successful country club, based on non proprietory membership. this means a significant sized joing fee which allows a life time membership with annual renewable fees. the upfront fees build the facilities the annual fees maintain and improve the facilities. profitability is cross sales from food & beverages plus use of some of the fee paying facilities etc, use of swimming pool is free of charge etc

Edited by spooks
Alan S

I wouldnt touch a country club with a bargepole. But that is because I know far too little about that type of business to make a success of it.

You, on the other hand, have experience in the entertainment industry, which gives you a head start on many here (including me).

I dont like the scenario mentioned nor the problems of ownership, given the laws in the Philippines.

I would think carefully, research well, and take all possible precautions, and then only go ahead if it all checks out.

If in doubt, walk away.

spooks

All such club membership fall under approved SEC schemes. This means there is a legal framework to follow designed to protect investors

Stranded Shipscook

The only thing which would hold me back is the fact, that nobody else wants it apparently.

That is my common sense. And experience. If something is good, its gone..

The only exempton was my partnership inside the shipyard, but it was more an accident, that my now partner bidded for that project, he thought it was "building" not "operating" the establishment.

Well, he won the bid and asked me to run it with him. Mainly because i was the only person available and experienced enough to run it.

But all other profitable things here in my town "walk past" me. Yes, the locals like me, but not enough to give away opportunities, can't blame them, family first.

spooks

Guenther you are correct. The history of why what was a successful operation, failing so dramatically needs to be better understood by me. Question is how much can i extract by way of information before having to turn to thumb screws and the like. I suspect by end of next week i will have a clearer and more realistic idea of what went wrong and why and of course the whom and how they still fit in, if at all. Some of you will remember the late John Martin from the John Martin story. He set up a wonderful club based establishment called Green Valley at the time. Funded almost entirely from membership sales off the plan. Some projects are doable, not all for sure.

Strangely enough one of the guys associated with it could buy out that place and not even know he spent the money!!

I suspect an interesting tale of the usual. Too busy to notice and take care of something so insignificant when running the country is more rewarding etc

Edited by spooks
Davaoeno

I have been down this exact road before in Los Cabos Mexico with a closed huge hotel . It only cost me a few meals and drinks, but wasted a month of my time trying to broker a deal between 2 parties [ and me and my partner ] that simply did not want to make a deal - no matter how good it was for both of them . A totally frustrating experience

spooks

Yeah, i suspect that there maybe a very similar situation behind this. The financial decisions are not the most important ones for them today and as such it is not really an issue to motivate positive actions. I have the time, so investing a little of it may be a waste then again>>>>>>

Brucewayne

Great opportunity with several answers.

Picture this, a long term lease, sublease some of the sections out to different individuals and make them responsible for the repairs/upkeep on their part, ie., put this in the lease.

You run it like a landlord and only shoulder the responsibility of being a landlord.

You could even simply set up a gate with admittance fees, collect dues or just save a business such a the swimming pool, hotel or restaurant as your own.

You could even lease out certain sections within any of the buildings as smaller businesses within the same compound.

miles-high

It’s location, location and location… including, but not limited to, the area average temp, rain fall, highways and traffic congestion, air quality, proximity to the population center and international airport(s), median income in the area, competition with other hotels, resorts and country club(s), etc.

Other attractions in the area as well... to attract enough people, for example, there are more golf courses including several PGA courses in MI than anywhere else in the US yet domestic/international golfers/families tend to go to HI, CA, GA, FL, NC, etc... I guess most people would not like to start a vacation landing at the "Detroit" Wayne County International Airport... ;)

Without knowing the above types of information, I would refrain from making any comments... :ROFLMAO:

spooks

Bruce for Club memberships setting up concessions is possible but the overall ownership will have to approve that before it starts

being a club the memberships covers the entrance fees. the attraction is exclusivity so it is not open to the public. Guests can bring in a 'day' member for a fee,

Once I have had the initial discussions and it looks like it might progress to the next level i will get some pics on here and perhaps a video. this is not a promo as I will not be giving deatils of where or the name of the place just to show what a mess looks like and what the potential can be if the parties concerned are willing to move on.

spooks

"Without knowing the above types of information, I would refrain from making any comments."

:biggrin_01: INMO a very very good refrain

Your expertise, their money....go for it! Anything less.........run forrest run......... :animal0019:

Skywalker

Just remember a camel is a horse designed by a committee!