Jun. 18, 2012 7:52AM PDTJun. 18, 2012 7:52AM PDT

Sendclear.gif

Shareclear.gif

Print

Health Search

Idea for someone willing to do the work

Drug Search

Explore and compare medications

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - With inspiration from a friend too lazy to take a shower and a few months of research on the Internet, South African university student Ludwick Marishane has won global recognition for an invention that takes the water out of bathing.

Marishane, a 22-year-old student at the University of Cape Town student invented a product called DryBath, a clear gel applied to skin that does the work of water and soap.

The invention, which won Marishane the 2011 Global Student Entrepreneur of the Year Award, has wide applications in Africa and other parts of the developing world where basic hygiene is lacking and hundreds of millions of people do not have regular access to water.

The product differs from the anti-bacterial hand washes by eliminating the heavy alcohol smell. It creates an odourless, biodegradable cleansing film with moisturisers.

He came up with the idea as a teenager in his poor rural home in the winter when a friend of his said bathing was too much of a bother, made all the worse by a lack of hot water.

"He was lazy and he happened to say, 'why doesn't somebody invent something that you can just put on your skin and you don't have to bathe'," said Marishane.

It was his "eureka" moment.

He then used his web-enabled mobile phone to search through Google and Wikipedia in pursuit of a formula. Six months later, he came up with DryBath and a obtained a patent.

The product is now manufactured commercially with clients including major global airlines for use on long-haul flights and governments for its soldiers in the field.

Marishane also sees it helping conserve water in the poorest parts of the world.

"DryBath will go a long way in helping communities

Brucewayne

Seems to me it would take more work rubbing that goop all over one's body than it would to stand in a shower , soaking in the ocean or simply washing off with a wet washcloth.

Of course, if one feels clean afterward, the water savings would be fantastic.

Edited by Brucewayne
smokey

Seems to me it would take more work rubbing that goop all over one's body than it would to stand in a shower , soaking in the ocean or simply washing off with a wet washcloth.

well if you took a shower in some spots in the ocean i guess you could go number 1,2, and shower same time

smokey

thats good news Smokey now you can start washing yourself

whats up got outsmarted by a home boy.... dude i may not be as rich as you seem to think you are but i have plenty of water. maybe you missed the part where he FOUND the formula on google which means anyone can do the same thing ,,, Here is a new flash for YOU many Chinese don't take showers every day but bath with alcohol which is not good for the skin but its the best there is for now... hello fill the void... then maybe you can move up to a high class pad with 2 refrigerator

smokey

and how nice is the shower in them 1,500 peso a month rentals???

Experienced

How are you supposed to cool off if you don't take cold showers?

Brucewayne

and how nice is the shower in them 1,500 peso a month rentals???

I couldn't tell you, as I didn't look at them very hard, mainly I was just looking at size.

smokey

How are you supposed to cool off if you don't take cold showers?

well maybe you will not be cool but heck your feel cool.... maybe you can add a whitener and really corner the market.... if anyone was to be a deep thinking this type of product has been around for a while and maybe the patent has expired on the formula its used to treat bed bound and wounded in hospitals

For Real

Smokey, can this substance be altered to have a high PH value? If yes, the innovation post proctologists you have encountered at LinC could try clean out their fundamental orifice....resulting in less crap online.

This might prove to have a devastating effect on the bathtub restoration business

• Like 2
smokey

Smokey, can this substance be altered to have a high PH value? If yes, the innovation post proctologists you have encountered at LinC could try clean out their fundamental orifice....resulting in less crap online.

This might prove to have a devastating effect on the bathtub restoration business

real men dont talk about asses.... except davao he is always sitting on his