WHAT TO DO? Should my wife sell Wombat's Womb Cafe'?

Wombat No More

Faluango

Your wife is by far stupid - if the place isn't making any decent money then it might be a wise choice to sell it (with some profit) and buy a real estate property in Australia which you can rent out. I think you can get approximately 2000$ per month out of your property if you invest the Wombat Womb's money in Australia.

But, I would never let a Filipina have control over my assests and neither would I let a Filipina be the one to decide what I should and not do with my money - especially in my own country.

Edited by Faluango
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• Wombat No More

• smokey

• Brucewayne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no choice but to continue as before my wife said anything today, and fund the operation until it kicks in and supports itself. This is what I was doing before today anyway. The only thing that

I think the real problem is too few customers. Cutting the menu and staff and/or raising the prices won't improve that. Now if you can cut the staff a bit, that will help the books but I think you m

Phil, you are here asking us for advice, but you are giving us very little to go on .   Why did you wife want this place built in the first place? [ or did she ever want it to be built ie was it

Posted Images

sperman

from memory phil, i thought that was your 3rd fil. wife in which case (if i have remembered right) you cannot bring her to australia.

also you previously said that you expect to break even after 6 months. so you are only half way. definitely reduce your staff to an absolute minimum, even sack the lot for a while. there is zero point in having staff with nothing to do. its most unfortunate that your wife is not supporting you with a more positive outlook. it just makes any problems worse. i wish you the very best of success and some chinese said "perserverence furthers", and if at first you dont succeed, try, try again.(with reduced staff)

(i had skipped page 3, now i understand about compelling grounds)good luck with it all.

Edited by sperman
Brucewayne

We really hate to see you go, but from what I've read here, I think you must.

Horrible shame, but your wife's heart isn't in it and you are really unable to stand for the hours it would take to do the job.

After you are gone she would most likely let it fail, sell it or let it stand empty.

Sorry about the bad news, we really love your place.

RIP=Wombat's

Bill H

Wondering if you've considered hiring an experienced manager to run the place? Not so hard to monitor what they do, and an experienced manager would be free to reduce your over staffed place. You're place does need more time, I'd give it a year or two anyway before even thinking about selling.

Bill

• Like 1
senseless

I might recommend pointing signs from the 2 bridges or something. I actually stumbled onto it by accident. I drove by this building on our way to the barangay hall. I was like "wtf is this? is that a church?". Then I see this sign "Wombat's Cafe". And i'm like "hey I know that guy...."

I wouldn't throw in the towel until after at least 12 months. Brick and mortar stores are slow to grow. It's not like you can do some search engine optimization and bam you've got 15k customers a day. It's too bad you can't sell food over the internet. I guess you could, but it would need to be local sales.

You might have good luck with delivery; there's only like 2 restaurants that will deliver to this side of mactan. I might not recommend delivering to individuals, but if you could get some lunch contracts for businesses @ mepz or mez or whatever it's called. That would be some fairly big quick cash. There's also the hospital near by your place going toward the bridge. But when I was there, most of the people were eating from the nasty disgusting blehhhh cafeteria. So maybe best to stick to mepz/mez.

I think most of these smaller restaurants make most of their money catering to the businesses @ mez/meps & at the airport area. Whenever I go in them, they're completely devoid of people, even employees, but they've gotta be making money for rent some how.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1
Davaoeno
If she gets more adamant, it will mean closing the cafe completely

you make it sound like you dont get any say in what happens Phil ?? Is that true ??

• Like 1
Faluango

@Wombat:

Like I said, your wife is by far stupid. If your business isn't making any money you might as well just sell and invest back in Australia to get some real money out of it.

I was considering to invest also in Cebu, although a bit less than 15M but I don't think I will do it, but of course we aren't the same age group so I can't know what's best for you. For me, I would rather invest in real estate and rent it out. But i'm not sure if you can get as much rent out of your Cafe as you could be getting for the same price in Australia

Edited by Faluango
For Real

Back to Phil and his situation.

It might be good to engage a professional counsellor as an intermediate so the wife crystal gets clear about (and can articulate this in real time) what she really wants & doesn't want.

Then you know what she really wants now, and not in 10 years time....and you can make adjustments as needed.

The worst thing that could happen is you & your wife growing apart through mis-understandings

• Admin (Retired)
broden

long thread already

lots of bullshit in it

hopefully someone will have time to delete all the useless crap

i don't right now

anyway Phil from what you've said sounds like lego blocks

the fun is in the building once it's done you want to take them apart and start over

maybe you can get more in to that even if it's just lending a hand on other peoples projects or perhaps building a smaller personal hangout for you and friends

either way i hope this is a decision you are going to take a good time to mull over

my family and i, we wish you the best and though i never know when i might get over there again i would love to spend some time with you in the Womb but the place isn't important so much as finally getting to meet and toss the bull around in person for a bit

• Like 1
Davaoeno
It might be good to engage a professional counsellor as an intermediate

somehow I dont see that happening . And if Phil were to suggest it I think it very well start a major war in Phil's household. What we think is normal in the west is not seen in the same light here imho.

But I do think that if Phil is unable to sit down and have an honest and open discussion with his wife about this matter [ which from what Phil has said sounds like the case] then possibly some other intermediary could help . Does she have someone in her family who speaks English and who is business minded ? that might then allow the discussion to start off about business matters and in the course of things move onto discussing the things that are really at the centre of the problem . Sometimes you have to approach these things a bit sneakily. Maybe they have a mutual friend that she trusts ?

For Real

somehow I dont see that happening . And if Phil were to suggest it I think it very well start a major war in Phil's household. What we think is normal in the west is not seen in the same light here imho.

But I do think that if Phil is unable to sit down and have an honest and open discussion with his wife about this matter [ which from what Phil has said sounds like the case] then possibly some other intermediary could help . Does she have someone in her family who speaks English and who is business minded ? that might then allow the discussion to start off about business matters and in the course of things move onto discussing the things that are really at the centre of the problem . Sometimes you have to approach these things a bit sneakily. Maybe they have a mutual friend that she trusts ?

Never say never (i have done professional assistance before) - but I mostly like your thoughts - i wouldn't like to be a bit sneaky to achieve a positive outcome, or do i enjoy hidden agenda's from the other party - but that's just me

Edited by For Real
Davaoeno

long thread already

lots of bullshit in it

hopefully someone will have time to delete all the useless crap

i don't right now

anyway Phil from what you've said sounds like lego blocks

the fun is in the building once it's done you want to take them apart and start over

maybe you can get more in to that even if it's just lending a hand on other peoples projects or perhaps building a smaller personal hangout for you and friends

either way i hope this is a decision you are going to take a good time to mull over

my family and i, we wish you the best and though i never know when i might get over there again i would love to spend some time with you in the Womb but the place isn't important so much as finally getting to meet and toss the bull around in person for a bit

I dont think building this place was that much fun for Phil - not with his disabilities . And taking on other projects for others is out of the question for the same reason imho.

But honestly I dont think any of this is really about the building. Phil spent 5 years on it, finally got it finished, finally he would be able to take a breather and deal with the constant pain - and all of a sudden his dream is yanked out from under him. To me the problem is much bigger than what to do with the building. Reading what Phil writes there seems to be almost no communication between the 2 of them . She is calling the shots, and it seems that what Phil wants is not considered to be that relevant.

I feel a bit strange discussing Phil's relationship but he has brought it up in great detail - so I think it has to be dealt with.

• Like 6
Davaoeno

Never say never (i have done professional assistance before) - but I mostly like your thoughts - i wouldn't like to be a bit sneaky to achieve a positive outcome - but that's just me

I am of course not talking about deceiving anyone, just about leading someone into an area of discussion that they would not normally want to deal with. I believe that all family counselling uses certain methods to achieve results that are not necessarily discussed with the participants.

Alan S

I have just had to waste 15 minutes deleting / hiding posts.

However, I havent actually banned anyone for several days. Much more off topic rubbish or snide comment to or about Phil, and I will happily do so.

You guys want to argue with each other, then do so "downstairs", not here.

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

I dont think building this place was that much fun for Phil - not with his disabilities . And taking on other projects for others is out of the question for the same reason imho.

But honestly I dont think any of this is really about the building. Phil spent 5 years on it, finally got it finished, finally he would be able to take a breather and deal with the constant pain - and all of a sudden his dream is yanked out from under him. To me the problem is much bigger than what to do with the building. Reading what Phil writes there seems to be almost no communication between the 2 of them . She is calling the shots, and it seems that what Phil wants is not considered to be that relevant.

I feel a bit strange discussing Phil's relationship but he has brought it up in great detail - so I think it has to be dealt with.

i was going off of post #5

as far as Phil's relationship well sometimes that's not so easy to judge even with people you know very well and see in person every day

but i'll say this what ever is decided it'll need to be about finding the best answer for both of them not either of them

and that best answer may be something neither of them have figured out or desire at the moment

aside from all that and i may be way off the target here but having seen Phil post here for a while. medical issues aches pains broken bits and peices and all i don't think he wants to just sit and stop just yet, you rest you rust, i don't know what the something might be but i think he wants something to keep him busy off the streets and out of trouble for a while yet

even if it's just building bird houses

• Like 2