Sign in to follow this  
Bill H

Pump Boat Rebuild part II

Bill H

It's been a while since I posted, but we've been slogging away just the same. It's been a slog too. Here's where we are now. In the view to stern you can see how much we've actually changed the lines of this boat and increased the freeboard. She's about 13" deeper now and much wider at the deck. We've also added quit a bit of structural support to both the bow and stern and to the log that serves as the backbone of this boat. post-8579-0-29662300-1339508930_thumb.jpg

In the pic of the structural modifications you can see the 2x6 members we added at the log bottom, which should greatly stiffen the boat, particularly in rough conditions when the hull is not fully supported over it's length. post-8579-0-04761200-1339509171_thumb.jpg We also add quit a bit of wood to both the bow and stern as you can see in those pictures.post-8579-0-45015900-1339509230_thumb.jpgpost-8579-0-07739100-1339509312_thumb.jpg

Now that most of the structural work is complete, we've coated all bare and new wood with laminating epoxy to help prevent dry rot. We'll cover that with two coats of epoxy primer and another top coat over that before we begin to apply the new plywood to the hull and decks.

I've decided to replace the 12hp engine with a 16hp water cooled diesel, which will require re-routing the propeller shaft and replacing the rudder. If all goes well with the engine, we should have this old girl back in the water in July in like new condition and ready to go back to work.

Bill

Cuda

How long is it ?

Chris24

Very nice, I wish I were handy enought to even contemplate building a boat. Probably I'd be Ok to help paint, but that's about it. Thanks for taking the time to share and post in-progress pics.

norm17

It's been a while since I posted, but we've been slogging away just the same. It's been a slog too. Here's where we are now. In the view to stern you can see how much we've actually changed the lines of this boat and increased the freeboard. She's about 13" deeper now and much wider at the deck. We've also added quit a bit of structural support to both the bow and stern and to the log that serves as the backbone of this boat. post-8579-0-29662300-1339508930_thumb.jpg

In the pic of the structural modifications you can see the 2x6 members we added at the log bottom, which should greatly stiffen the boat, particularly in rough conditions when the hull is not fully supported over it's length. post-8579-0-04761200-1339509171_thumb.jpg We also add quit a bit of wood to both the bow and stern as you can see in those pictures.post-8579-0-45015900-1339509230_thumb.jpgpost-8579-0-07739100-1339509312_thumb.jpg

Now that most of the structural work is complete, we've coated all bare and new wood with laminating epoxy to help prevent dry rot. We'll cover that with two coats of epoxy primer and another top coat over that before we begin to apply the new plywood to the hull and decks.

I've decided to replace the 12hp engine with a 16hp water cooled diesel, which will require re-routing the propeller shaft and replacing the rudder. If all goes well with the engine, we should have this old girl back in the water in July in like new condition and ready to go back to work.

Bill

great job....i hope i can build a boat too.. :)

Topper

Thanks for the update Bill. It will be one hell of a good looking boat when you're done. Fair wind and following seas.

Bill H

How long is it ?

Right at 10m